Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 PM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Since I mentioned Oswego, here are some things that may appeal to young professionals, if they don't mind a smaller city/town: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC
Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Oswego Rental Properties
Canal Common - Fine Shopping in the Heart of Downtown Oswego

OSWEGO STATE Athletics
SUNY Oswego - Theatre Home
SUNY Oswego - Tyler Art Gallery

Art Association of Oswego, Inc. | Offering Free Art Exhibits and Low-Cost Art Classes to Our Community

Oswego NY Safe Haven Museum - Splash
H Lee White Marine Museum
City of Oswego
Oswego Railroad Museum

Oswego Restaurants | Oswego Dining | Oswego Menus, NY

Oswego Cinema 7 - Zurich Cinemas - Proudly serving Oswego, New York with the latest movies from Hollywood

YMCA

Centro Oswego

Nightlife Oswego, NY (includes some college or mixed spots)

City of Oswego

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego
Visit Oswego County | History, Festivals, Fishing and Outdoor Activities Highlight Each Season

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=city+...00000000000003
Here's another very nice apartment complex in Oswego:
Whitewater Apartments Apartments for Rent - Oswego, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know it isn't LA, but small town living is a bit much considering that most metros are smaller than the Syracuse area.

Also, isn't I-4 a toll road?
Nope. The turnpike and beachline are though.

What bothers me is that the NYS thruway is still a toll road outside of Buffalo. Seems unfair to do that to the main artery in your state.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Nope. The turnpike and beachline are though.

What bothers me is that the NYS thruway is still a toll road outside of Buffalo. Seems unfair to do that to the main artery in your state.
There are other highways that aren't and are important routes like I-81, 86/17, the Northway(I-87 north of the Thruway), 390, 88, 84 and if you want to, you can take other east-west routes like Routes 5, 20, 104, 31, etc in certain instances.

Doesn't the Florida Turnpike go through the Miami and Orlando areas? I remember going to Fort Pierce and seeing signs for the Turnpike and I-4 not too far north of there.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-12-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 03:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
If your a NYer and so used to getting plowed in the dumper with tolls the Florida Turnpike is a fast, but expensive, way in and out of Miami. From Miami to Fort Pierce it runs parallel to I95 which is free. Which means the Turnpike is empty and 95 is a parking lot.

Its how I sneak in and out of the Glades with no fuss.

Most states that have toll roads also have other 4 lane controlled access highways as options. NY is so hell bent on funneling everyone onto the retarded toll road they see to it all other choices suck. I generally dislike toll roads and everywhere but NY there is an excellent alternative road. In NY if you have ground to cover you have to suck it up and pay the stupid toll.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
If your a NYer and so used to getting plowed in the dumper with tolls the Florida Turnpike is a fast, but expensive, way in and out of Miami. From Miami to Fort Pierce it runs parallel to I95 which is free. Which means the Turnpike is empty and 95 is a parking lot.

Its how I sneak in and out of the Glades with no fuss.

Most states that have toll roads also have other 4 lane controlled access highways as options. NY is so hell bent on funneling everyone onto the retarded toll road they see to it all other choices suck. I generally dislike toll roads and everywhere but NY there is an excellent alternative road. In NY if you have ground to cover you have to suck it up and pay the stupid toll.
I think it depends on what part of NY you live and where you are going. For instance, I know that many Rochester area students at SUNY-Oswego would take Route 104 home. I've even taken 104 to 370 home from Rochester to Liverpool. It didn't take much longer than what it would on the Thruway. 104 is pretty open until Ontario and 370 is dead until Baldwinsville.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
It seems like GPS directions are hell bent on getting people on toll roads. Scanton area is the worst... on and off, over and over, even if you're being directed to the road you could have stayed on, so you can pay again.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It seems like GPS directions are hell bent on getting people on toll roads. Scanton area is the worst... on and off, over and over, even if you're being directed to the road you could have stayed on, so you can pay again.
GPS can be strange at times. Remember using it in Philadelphia and it gave a gerrymandered route through the city that went through some pretty gritty areas. It almost seems like it is better to just have a map out and read it.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Given the perpetual construction on 81 in Scranton, it actually is faster to take the toll road (and far less frustrating). Think that stretch has been under construction for most of the last decade - and if you're not going *to* Scranton, the toll road is well worth it.

GPS devices typically pick the fastest route with the simplest directions. Though a lot of them you can tell it to avoid tolls.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
GPS devices typically pick the fastest route with the simplest directions.
Yah - well, that's what they want us to assume. It's bull$hi+, in reality. I've been going to Scranton from birth, with half of my family living within half an hour of there and my brothers going to school there for the past 7 years- combined -and there's always construction. Their roads still make it sound and feel like the tires are going to tear off and fling your car into some random landfill. No change from before.

But when you defy GPS because you call BS, and know that STAYING on the road is faster and cheaper than getting OFF the road, over and over? And the road.is.100%.fine? You know it's BS and they're doing that to get tolls collected. I called my grandmother on the way to my cousin's baby shower at some riverfront place... she said I'd be there in 20 minutes. I followed GPS - got stuck in a toll-taking jam - and was there SUPER late. A cousin who started out later than me was there sooner, by staying on the road.

GPSs are chock full of $hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area