Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,725,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Where are you coming from in Long Island?
Plainview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,843,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Plainview
All I can say is that you won't find that kind of density anywhere near Syracuse- even downtown. I work in that area quite a bit (Melville), and especially south of the LIE, there's just no breathing room there.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,633,365 times
The older section of DeWitt (largely in zip code 13214) is probably most like Plainview in terms of post WWII raised ranches, splits, and smaller colonials on small lots adajent to busy roadways (though the traffic is certainly no where comprable to the Island). This area is generally comprised of East Genesee Street from the city line to Jamesville Road and points north and south. Other streets like Stanton Drive, Orrick Road and some parts of Orvilton, the Jonathan Craig neighborhood off Kinne Road and Arlington Hills subdivision off Jamesville Road are pretty similiar. The Genesee Hills area which straddles the city line with DeWitt (ie. Briarcliff, Revere, Radcliffe Roads) also seems quite similiar.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

94,271 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Also, Plainview's density is 4600/sq. mile while Syracuse is around 6000/sq. mile. As far as suburbs, certain pockets may be about the same or close in terms of density. Galeville in the Liverpool area is another example.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-30-2012 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, Plainview's density is 4600/sq. mile while Syracuse is around 6000/sq. mile. As far as suburbs, certain pockets may be about the same or close in terms of density. Galeville in the Liverpool area is another example.
That's just a stat. Trust me when I tell you, no where in Onondaga county comes close to the density of homes, people, and traffic in that part of Nassau County. Syracuse probably just has taller buildings skewing the stat.

Levittown, in that part of Long Island, was literally built with the primary objective of building as many homes as possible on the least amount of land.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
That's just a stat. Trust me when I tell you, no where in Onondaga county comes close to the density of homes, people, and traffic in that part of Nassau County. Syracuse probably just has taller buildings skewing the stat.

Levittown, in that part of Long Island, was literally built with the primary objective of building as many homes as possible on the least amount of land.
I was thinking in terms of population. I get the other stuff in terms of homes, traffic, etc. I think the most population dense part of the area is in the inner Northside(aka Near Northside) part of Syracuse. I think it's around 19,000 people per square mile(Census Tract 14).

I agree with Rolls that the area he described is pretty close to that.

You can check out population density in the area on one of the maps here: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

It looks like the West Genesee Corridor in the Western suburbs may fit in terms of suburbs. It probably looks similar to Long Island in some ways too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-01-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Dense population and older splits/high ranches are something I'm looking to get away from. My wife and I both agree that we want a newer modern style house - and there are many to be found in the Syracuse area. While my wife wants to be around people/neighbors, my choice is that we'd have more space between our home and those of our neighbors. Living and working in some of the most populous cities in this country has done that to me.

Quote:
The thought of that type of people crush makes me queasy.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM

H
Quote:
Dense population and older splits/high ranches are something I'm looking to get away from. My wife and I both agree that we want a newer modern style house - and there are many to be found in the Syracuse area. While my wife wants to be around people/neighbors, my choice is that we'd have more space between our home and those of our neighbors. Living and working in some of the most populous cities in this country has done that to me.

Perhaps the newer homes in the Southwood area of the town of Onondaga will work then. It's in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD and it is close to highways, Syracuse University and synagogues. I believe that taxes are are bit lower too. Shopping isn't far away either. I believe that some of the high level Syracuse University employees live in that area.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
H

Perhaps the newer homes in the Southwood area of the town of Onondaga will work then. It's in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD and it is close to highways, Syracuse University and synagogues. I believe that taxes are are bit lower too. Shopping isn't far away either. I believe that some of the high level Syracuse University employees live in that area.
Sounds good, but [almost] nothing appeals to me more than that. The taxes I pay on LI is obscene!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Let me just say this, because I'm not going to compare maps and stats: I work on Long Island, you live there. So I don't have to tell you what you already know- the density of people, homes and traffic on LI is mind-boggling. Don't expect anyone from Syracuse to truly understand that. These little census tracts that have a high density of people in Syracuse are not covering VAST areas of space and limited to an island. Even NJ can't compete with the overall crush of people, as you stated, of LI.

I don't live in Syracuse, but I can tell you this: the small dense area is surrounded by regular suburban density, and then beyond that is peace and quiet. Its nice there. You'll probably find exactly what your looking for (if weather and other factors are to your liking).

ckhthankgod, I read your posts and always find your posts to be quite informative, if a little heavy on the pro-upstate spin. Here's the only stat you need to know to understand what I'm saying (from the very site you sent me):

Nassau County: 4,707 people per square mile
Onondaga County: 600 people per square mile

As you can see, overall, there's simply no comparison. Allegheny County, where Pittsburgh is located, has a quarter of the density of Nassau County. I've been spending a lot of time in Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Syracuse has light density. Pittsburgh is dense. Nassau is utter gridlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area