Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Sean from your other posts I thought you had traveled a lot but then when I read this post it gave me the impression is that you have never been outside small town America. Seriously if Syracuse South side is the worst poor urban area that you have ever seen then you really need to see more cities in America.
^True.... Vintage, we were saying the same thing in just different ways. Many first suburbs in Upstate NY tend to be more affordable, but here is an example of one that is somewhat in demand for certain qualities. RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Do people really travel to ghettos for fun??

I've been to most states and most large cities. Some like NYC, many times and others, like Nashville, only once.

I avoid ghettos like the plague and STD's.

Going into the ghetto of Syracuse was a one time thing. I never did find the gothic house. Did see Sears.

That said I won't lie to you that I much prefer the beautiful wilds of the West over the post-apocalyptic urban wasteland of NY. I can be civil to people as needed but it don't bother me any when none are around either.
I urban exploration

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^True.... Vintage, we were saying the same thing in just different ways. Many first suburbs in Upstate NY tend to be more affordable, but here is an example of one that is somewhat in demand for certain qualities. RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Great Places in America: Neighborhoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Okay, I'm seeing a lot of BS in these responses. We've been buying properties in Syracuse for investment and living purposes for the past ten years and, while you do have to do a lot of shopping around, we've had no trouble at all finding properties for around $40,000 and upgrading them very nicely for about $20,000 (8 years ago we got two for under $17K in somewhat bad neighborhoods, but ended up with fine tenants). Add another $10,000-$20,000 and you've got a super home. We've just done this in Eastwood, a neighborhood that is decidedly better south of James Street than north. If you shop in the right places - I recommend Eastwood, Tipp Hill, outer Sedgwick, outer Strathmore (like,
beyond all the really expensive homes), the university area. Buy the "dog on the street" and fix it up and you'll have a heck of a deal on your hands. If you live in half and rent the other half, you have a money maker, too. Let your tenant pay mortgage and taxes. It's great.
This last part of the post and a thread posted in the Buffalo and Rochester forums got me thinking that getting a multi family home could be another option, as a person could be mortgage free or have it reduced by collecting rent. Here is a list of area multi-family properties: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I urban exploration

You are correct and I have heard of that.

Not for me, way to dangerous. I'll take my chances with the bears. Interestingly the same number of people have been killed by bears in NY this century as Montana so we can't even catch a break there.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Over 200 homicides in Syracuse in the same time period.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You are correct and I have heard of that.

Not for me, way to dangerous. I'll take my chances with the bears. Interestingly the same number of people have been killed by bears in NY this century as Montana so we can't even catch a break there.

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Over 200 homicides in Syracuse in the same time period.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html
If you aren't in a gang, the drug game or abusive relationships, you're pretty much alright anywhere around here. It isn't like you cross into Syracuse(or any city) and guns are a blazing. There are about as many alcohol related vehicle deaths in many years as there are homicides in the US. Drunk driving statistics

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more (select murder/non negligent variable)

So, lifestyle has a lot to do with it.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This last part of the post and a thread posted in the Buffalo and Rochester forums got me thinking that getting a multi family home could be another option, as a person could be mortgage free or have it reduced by collecting rent. Here is a list of area multi-family properties: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
Just to get back on track and to add to this, another thing to think with this is that many college students will look throughout the area for rentals. So, keeping that in mind, that may be a market to tap into in terms of renting out that other unit. For instance, my dad owns a unit on Bellevue Ave. He was telling me that a Guy from Connecticut was looking at buying a 2 family unit in the area and that college students have been looking in that area for rentals as well. So, if you have a two family in say Eastwood, you may have a willing college student that would rent out that other unit and could end up paying your costs for housing.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,098 times
Syracuse area is a great place to live w low real estate prices-mid 100s buys a nice house in a nice area but the taxes are incredibly high--try 8 to 10 thousand for a house in that range. in the suburbs of Phiily, by contrast, the houses are almost double in price, but the taxes are almost half.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardleyed View Post
Syracuse area is a great place to live w low real estate prices-mid 100s buys a nice house in a nice area but the taxes are incredibly high--try 8 to 10 thousand for a house in that range. in the suburbs of Phiily, by contrast, the houses are almost double in price, but the taxes are almost half.
Taxes will depend on many factors such as the town/school district, if the person challenges their assessment and if exemptions are included or not.

Even with this example given, you still pay less for a home in the Syracuse area versus the Philadelphia area.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM

174 posts, read 203,982 times
What are some of the lower taxed areas in Syracuse for a 1200-1400 sq ft.?
We have no kids and are thinking of moving back.
We used to live in the Town of Salina.
Thanks

Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
What are some of the lower taxed areas in Syracuse for a 1200-1400 sq ft.?
We have no kids and are thinking of moving back.
We used to live in the Town of Salina.
Thanks
I'd say that except for Syracuse itself, the town of Salina probably has the lowest taxes. Are there specific areas that you would be interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area