Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Just as a heads up, I would check any property in the Cicero area to see if it is in the floodplain. Do not trust a realtor to do this for you.
That's a good caution point for any location.

The area that floods in the springtime is one-part=1/2 mile long (if that long) at the most, of Beach Road=lakefront properties, in the Town of Cicero=address Brewerton. The home locations on Muskrat Bay Road and Long Point Road, in the Beach Road area, do not ordinarily flood and neither does Lakeshore Road or most streets that run off Lakeshore Road.

The 3 properties that I listed in Cicero can never flood from Oneida Lake or any river rising. The properties that I listed will only flood if we have a "tsunami" or if a property experiences a sewer line backup or public water supply line breaks at that particular house or the sump pump system fails to operate. The Cicero property I listed on Lakeshore Road can not flood from Oneida Lake water rising; there is no creek. The Cicero property I listed on East Gillette Road can not flood from lake or any creek water rising. The Cicero property I listed on Route 31 can not flood from any rising water source. These properties could only flood from a sewer line backup or from a broken or open public water supply line or from a non-functioning sump pump system.

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I don't live near any water source bigger then a puddle and I'm 10 miles from Oneida Lake and I'm on a floodplain.

Flood insurance is SUPER expensive.

Just another one of the joys of NY living.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I don't live near any water source bigger then a puddle and I'm 10 miles from Oneida Lake and I'm on a floodplain.

Flood insurance is SUPER expensive.

Just another one of the joys of NY living.
Do you live near a creek, perhaps? That could do it. With that said, the OP can avoid such areas and considering what they are looking for, they should be fine.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 AM

Flood plains are whacked and its a completely corrupt system.

BTW while NY does suffer from this more then most it is NOT NY's fault.

Getting all the facts on flood zone living can be hard to find, is always changing and prices are rising like crazy.

Most important thing to remember is that RE agents lie. They lie early and they lie often. They will lie about things they don't know about and they will lie about things they do know about. They are a fact of life but tune them out. Its on the buyer to find out about these things themselves and never ever trust an RE agent.

Any flood insurance is mega super crazy stupid so the best policy is avoid any property anywhere any kind of water larger then say spit. This simple advice can save someone many thousands of dollars.

I bought pre-innerweb forums for me so I took a brutal raping. If someone like me had stepped in and help me it could saved me a ton of grief. So my policy is if I can help just one person avoid this disaster I'll annoy as many as need be.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Flood plains are whacked and its a completely corrupt system.

BTW while NY does suffer from this more then most it is NOT NY's fault.

Getting all the facts on flood zone living can be hard to find, is always changing and prices are rising like crazy.

Most important thing to remember is that RE agents lie. They lie early and they lie often. They will lie about things they don't know about and they will lie about things they do know about. They are a fact of life but tune them out. Its on the buyer to find out about these things themselves and never ever trust an RE agent.

Any flood insurance is mega super crazy stupid so the best policy is avoid any property anywhere any kind of water larger then say spit. This simple advice can save someone many thousands of dollars.

I bought pre-innerweb forums for me so I took a brutal raping. If someone like me had stepped in and help me it could saved me a ton of grief. So my policy is if I can help just one person avoid this disaster I'll annoy as many as need be.
Thankfully we don't have any real estate agents on this forum. FEMA is responsible for forming flood plains, not real estate agents. Out of the places I mentioned and that would probably be to the liking of the OP is the Tully Lakes area of Tully and into Northern Cortland County, if I'm not mistaken. Here are a bunch of articles in regards to the topic: FEMA | syracuse.com If you'll notice at the bottom of the first page, it shows the range of flood insurance.

That is why it is important to ask plenty of specific questions and do your research. With this said, the OP has been presented with potential properties where flooding would not be an issue.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 AM

Right but we can all be wrong and if we are we just say TFB and move on and they are stuck with the massive bills.

Its on them of coarse but look look look. Make sure your not on the map now. Make sure its not on a future map. The only way is to get as far away from any water source at all. And remember you can't always see the water. Guy I know is paying massive flood insurance because of a feeder crick that couldn't have been deep enough to wet the dingle of a Jack Russel during a heavy rain and was filled in over a 100 years ago and paved over.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Right but we can all be wrong and if we are we just say TFB and move on and they are stuck with the massive bills.

Its on them of coarse but look look look. Make sure your not on the map now. Make sure its not on a future map. The only way is to get as far away from any water source at all. And remember you can't always see the water. Guy I know is paying massive flood insurance because of a feeder crick that couldn't have been deep enough to wet the dingle of a Jack Russel during a heavy rain and was filled in over a 100 years ago and paved over.
Sure, but people can't be scared of every little thing that MAY or COULD happen, either. Again, that is why it is important to provide whatever little piece of information that we can provide, regardless as to how we feel either way. It isn't about us, but it is about what the OP is looking for.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Actually it is about us. Google links are available to us all. A forum is real people giving experiences. We don't live there lives and make there choices just give our experience strength and hope.

I realize you homers are all real super smart and never make mistakes but for us mere mortals learning from others mistakes can save alot of grief.

I know the homers here would have led me down the path I ended up taking anyway. Which was a bad path.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
=Sean®;26101499]Actually it is about us. Google links are available to us all. A forum is real people giving experiences. We don't live there lives and make there choices just give our experience strength and hope.

I realize you homers are all real super smart and never make mistakes but for us mere mortals learning from others mistakes can save alot of grief.

I know the homers here would have led me down the path I ended up taking anyway. Which was a bad path.
Providing what the OP wants is not about us. Anyone can share their experiences like you said, but people can also provide information that is in line with the criteria given. There isn't any reason to try so hard, when you can provide relevant information, along with personal experiences and those of others.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Sometimes the disconnect between the real World and what I read here is surreal.

Reading here sometimes I start think Syracuse is a nice place. Well I was there yesterday and its a slightly bigger dump then it was the last time I was there the week before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area