Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times

Advertisements

Why an Australian loves Central New York and was happy to move here | syracuse.com

"I moved to Central New York from my native Australia earlier this year. Since then, I've been surprised by how often I'm asked, 'Why?'

What's surprising isn't so much the question itself, but, how it's asked. Almost without exception, people use a tone that (only half-jokingly) questions the wisdom of my choice. Why, they wonder, would I leave Australia, with its environment and lifestyle, to live here, when there are many other (better?) places to live in the U.S.? Los Angeles, New York or Orlando they could understand, but Syracuse?

When I tell them I moved here to marry an Oswego girl, that seems the perfect answer — it makes sense to them. The expanded story, though, confuses some. The fact is, I became enraptured by the charms of Central New York long before I decided to marry, so much so that I have happily traveled from the opposite side of the globe to visit here almost 30 times in as many years.

Sadly, it seems that quite a few locals are blind to the unique and wonderful life they have.
In the hope that more Central New Yorkers will see their world as I do, I thought I'd paint a word picture of the region."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
I hope they re-interview this person in a year or so after the honeymoon phase is over. Everything is great when you first move to a new place.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post

What's surprising isn't so much the question itself, but, how it's asked. Almost without exception, people use a tone that (only half-jokingly) questions the wisdom of my choice. Why, they wonder, would I leave Australia, with its environment and lifestyle, to live here, when there are many other (better?) places to live in the U.S.? Los Angeles, New York or Orlando they could understand, but Syracuse?
I get pretty much the exact same response when I say I moved here from Hawaii. Usually it starts with "are you crazy?"

Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I hope they re-interview this person in a year or so after the honeymoon phase is over. Everything is great when you first move to a new place.
I have been here for over 3 years now and am still just as happy. The guy said he has visited the area 30 times, pretty sure he knew what he was getting himself into

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM

He was an exchange student for a year in high school... in Hannibal, no less. I think he has a good idea of the winters, especially since he described the feeling he had while in a squall. Squalls are cold, wet, windy and sometimes painful- I still bundle up, go outside, and sit through them sometimes. I come inside, afterward, with a red face - my skin is numb from the cold and stinging snow, melting on my face upon impact. They're a thing of wonder... like a tornado or hurricane. It's powerful.

(If you have snowboarding/skiing goggles without tint - WEAR them. lol)

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I have been here for over 3 years now and am still just as happy. The guy said he has visited the area 30 times, pretty sure he knew what he was getting himself into
I think your situation is different because you have family here. That can make all the difference in the world.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I think your situation is different because you have family here. That can make all the difference in the world.
His wife is family, isn't she??

My husband isn't a Syracuse fan. He 8!+ches about it sometimes... but I think he's just a kvetcher. lol. When I ask WHERE WOULD he like to move, he says nothing. "Somewhere."

Uh huh. Mmmkay. And all that.

He's the first one to grab the sleds or kayaks and head out to the southern hills, to rake leaves, to shovel the snow... even though we have a snowblower. He's just a 8!+cher and would do it anywhere. haha

I think a lot of people are like that; they just refuse to admit it.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM

I am not down playing that Becca really does like Syracuse, I am saying that having family in the area is a huge help.

I think I might actually enjoy Syracuse if I could be a snow bird. I just haven't figured out how to only work for half the year. If anyone knows how to make that work, please let me know.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Drill oil in Texas all winter and come back in the summer? That's what my dad used to do... but you know, being alive is a fairly significant requirement to parenting. And well, being an oil rigger puts that in jeopardy a little too often to keep at it.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 AM

107 posts, read 219,475 times
I am not sure if you noticed, but the link underneath the picture on that article took me to some incredible shots taken around Syracuse!

Images 2011: Outdoors | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area