Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with Shonnard St and area? Info appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Anyone familiar with Shonnard St and area? Info appreciated!
I'm not sure where it is but I know it from the news, over the years.

That means NO. Do NOT move there. Good grief, no. What are you looking for, at what price range and when?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm not sure where it is but I know it from the news, over the years.

That means NO. Do NOT move there. Good grief, no. What are you looking for, at what price range and when?
Gotcha!
I did further looking and see what you are saying.
Here's the scoop... NJ born & bred (and spent parts of summers north of Amsterdam NY) but have lived in FL and SW VA as well. Looking to possibly move north again. Our family and a friend's family are looking at duplexes in Syracuse. Crime and "bad areas" in any of the places I've lived don't rival some of the fun stuff in NJ (Newark, Elizabeth, etc), so I am not overly concerned with ending up in a "working poor" neighborhood. We'd be upgrading the property we end up with, but I'd like to avoid outright ghetto obviously. Looks like we'd have no problem staying well under $70k. And to answer your last question, the move would likely be summer of 2013. One of us would be looking for medical/hospital office/support work. 2 of us would be involved in a home-based business in the arts.
Here's a question (being entirely unfamiliar with Syracuse)... Northside or Westside? Here in VA, our "bad areas" tend to be more "bad streets" or "bad blacks" as opposed to blanket "bad areas". How does Syracuse work?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Gotcha!
Here's the scoop... NJ born & bred (and spent parts of summers north of Amsterdam NY) but have lived in FL and SW VA as well. Looking to possibly move north again. Our family and a friend's family are looking at duplexes in Syracuse. Crime and "bad areas" in any of the places I've lived don't rival some of the fun stuff in NJ (Newark, Elizabeth, etc), so I am not overly concerned with ending up in a "working poor" neighborhood. We'd be upgrading the property we end up with, but I'd like to avoid outright ghetto obviously. Looks like we'd have no problem staying well under $70k. And to answer your last question, the move would likely be summer of 2013. One of us would be looking for medical/hospital office/support work. 2 of us would be involved in a home-based business in the arts.
Is this possibly related to this: SALT District of the Near Westside | Syracuse, Art, Life, and Technology or are you looking to just fix up a property? If you want something on the West Side, I'd say to look around Park Ave., Tipperary Hill or the West End. You could probably find something on other sides of town or even a blue collar/working class suburb like Solvay, East Syracuse or parts of Mattydale and Nedrow. It would be a matter of whether you want an urban neighborhood and/or walkable neighborhood or if you are looking anywhere.

As for medical jobs, you should be fine. Here is a guide for hospitals in the state: New York State Hospital Profile

and other facilities: North Medical Doctors, Physicians, Urgent Care, Women's Health | Liverpool, NY

FamilyCare Medical Group has over 350 family physicians at our 30 locations in and around the Syracuse area.

Syracuse VA Medical Center Home

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this possibly related to this: SALT District of the Near Westside | Syracuse, Art, Life, and Technology or are you looking to just fix up a property?
No... no relation to that. And we wouldn't be looking to flip a property or anything like that. I just figure that with a couple of guys who are handy, we can get a good deal on a cheaper property and work on it while living in it with our families.
Thanks much for the very good info and links!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
In order of preference:

1) Northside (as north and or east as you can afford, quite literally. Higher elevation = better, also.)
2) WestEND (Westside... then go a bit more west. Again, the higher the elevation, the better.)
3) Westside. No, wait. This is no choice at all. I would be safer, snuggled up by a dumpster *anywhere* else.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Your timing might be perfect for what you are looking for:
Syracuse plans mass foreclosures on 3,900 tax-delinquent properties | syracuse.com

If they release all of these properties at the same time, it will flood the market and drive down prices (yes, even further).

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Quote:
Gotcha!
Here's a question (being entirely unfamiliar with Syracuse)... Northside or Westside? Here in VA, our "bad areas" tend to be more "bad streets" or "bad blacks" as opposed to blanket "bad areas". How does Syracuse work?
Bad areas around Syracuse are often quite localized (like the "bad blocks" you refer to).

Don't know about Shonnard; I've definitely heard that name in the news (not for positive reasons). There are some investors moving into that neighborhood and fixing up homes, so you would not be the only one. You'd be in the minority, though, and I have no idea how close those dollar-home investors are to Shonnard. A couple blocks can make a world of difference.

Perhaps you could e-mail someone at SALT or Home Headquarters and get more specific answers.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Good point Cleveland Park about Home HeadQuarters. They have programs that help homeowners revamp their homes. So, they are definitely worth a look. Here is some good information: Home HeadQuarters

Home HeadQuarters

Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
They just posted the list of houses that might be taken by the city for back taxes. It could be a good opportunity for those looking for a fixer upper.
Syracuse goes after 200 properties for back taxes | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area