Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

How could I forget about this diner: B'Ville Diner

This may work for late nights on the weekends: Breakfast Food Syracuse, NY - Egg Plant 315-446-8178

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-11-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Even the promise of non-chain, mom n pop places is a positive! I've been out of the north for about 6 years now, so even a step or two closer to what I grew up with is a good thing!

I don't want to make anyone do a lot of research or anything, as I can do that myself, but if anyone has any opinions or leads...
Smaller towns or villages around Syracuse that provide 'small-town life' but still an easy daily commute into the city? So within 20 mins or so? I can see the towns on a map, but have no idea which are no-go's, overpriced, etc. Thanks for the good responses to this thread!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Even the promise of non-chain, mom n pop places is a positive! I've been out of the north for about 6 years now, so even a step or two closer to what I grew up with is a good thing!

I don't want to make anyone do a lot of research or anything, as I can do that myself, but if anyone has any opinions or leads...
Smaller towns or villages around Syracuse that provide 'small-town life' but still an easy daily commute into the city? So within 20 mins or so? I can see the towns on a map, but have no idea which are no-go's, overpriced, etc. Thanks for the good responses to this thread!
Liverpool, North Syracuse, Marcellus, Baldwinsville, Eastwood (part of the city but near East Syracuse and walkable enough, imo, to count), and Manlius.

There are, of course, other villages I didn't mention... but the others, in my very strong opinion, are hollowed-out shells of what I think a lively, "I enjoy living here!" village should be.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post

Baldwinsville sounds like a good mix, with the walkable village, the 24/7 diner, highway and bus access, plenty of big box shopping down Route 31, it has the Seneca River running through it and more. WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE

Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce | B-Ville.com

proulxfamily gave some other good villages/areas that would work too. I'd add Fayetteville as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-11-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Maybe something in this list may work too: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM

You know... I realized that I have actually been to Syracuse before. A very hazy weekend years ago, visiting a friend at the University. What little I do remember of the trip is that the college has a very healthy party scene. I went to a big outdoor party/gathering at a cemetery (some sort of school tradition I think?), climbed the side of a very steep wooded hill, in the middle of the night, to a water tower at the top, and drove up around a reservoir (Westcott?) in the wee hours of the morning.
Does the party college atmosphere tend to sort of soak into the entire community? Or is my memory of it as sort of a college town/party town because, well... because I was visiting a college to party?

Disclaimer: I am NOT looking for a party town necessarily. I DO, however, sorta miss the opportunities available in a happening college town (I spent a good amount of time around Rutgers U in New Brunswick, NJ when I was late high school and college aged).

Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
It depends on who you know... but yes, there's opportunity for that, if you go to the right things or would like to host. lol - usually centered around SU games and MLB.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
I am all about the Village of Liverpool, so would be glad to answer any specific questions you have

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM

j1n, here are some streetviews of some of the communities mentioned above: Baldwinsville, NY - Google Maps

Liverpool, NY - Google Maps

North Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Marcellus, NY - Google Maps

Manlius, NY - Google Maps

Fayetteville, NY - Google Maps

Eastwood, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all of the great responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area