Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM

92,579 posts, read 122,890,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Well my first post referenced DT and the 80% number and that's still were I am.

Not sure where you are.

Find a way to get a sq/ft count and we'll see about the 80% mark. Thats my personal observation.
Yet......CNYcentral.com - Latest local news, weather and sports for Syracuse and Central New York

Home Sweet Home is increasingly in downtown Syracuse «

Walkability, new apartments draw residents to downtown Syracuse | Innovation Trail (you can find a balanced view of articles at the bottom, OP)

syracuseguru.com | Downtown Syracuse: The Next Step

http://www.pyramidbrokerage.com/syracuse_s.pdf (Look at the CBD line)

Investments in downtown Syracuse total $1.4 billion - News 10 Now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM

288 posts, read 508,833 times
13 murders is nothing you're arguing over 13 murders that mostly happened in the south or west side between gang members...plus you guys had absolutely nothing to say about my government hand outs statement....as far as downtown being 80 percent abandoned that's complete bull...armory square completely occupied with new hotel being built...business district along salina and warren st...mostly occupied with warren street coming back huge (several redevelopments)...outside of those streets there may be a few vacant properties....but university hill completely occupied and extremely vibrant...three colleges in one spot with hospitals, bars, small shopping mall, and more .

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Your way over complicating this.

If not getting murdered is important to a person, and to many of us its a factor, just avoiding the City of Syracuse NY lines brings your odds down to zero or nearly so.

Your listing it as a street by street thing. Right turn here, fine, left turn certain death. I guess that edgy kinda street cred stuff appeals to some. About 20% of this area.

The other 80% of us don't even consider murder. Outside of Syracuse there isn't a single place in this area I would even consider to have even the slightest chance of getting murdered outside of once a century random events that can not be planned for.

Avoiding Syracuse is pretty easy.

The OP asked about Syracuse in and around. He also mentioned crime and Syracuse wasn't any better then where he was. Well most of the towns around here have ZERO murders so that should appeal to him.

This past week murder outside the city does seem to have spiked and I hope its just an anomaly.
No, my point is that the murders need to be put into perspective. I never mentioned streets and going into Syracuse doesn't necessarily raise your chance of getting murdered, your lifestyle and the company you keep does.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,257,019 times
Those actually raises more questions then answer them.

At a time when both are state and Federal governments are in the hands of the extreme Left with an open and public hatred of suburbs money pouring into cities on a government level isn't exactly a secert.

But private money goes where there is a need. Honestly its not that hard to drop a grocery store in someplace if they can make a buck. If DT Syracuse needed a grocery store they would have one, or two.

The Villages of Sherrill and Canastota have grocery stores. Canastota has TWO!!! How freakin hard do the people of Syracuse think this stuff is??

Same thing with hotels. If Syracuse needed one it would be built. In the time it takes Syracuse to talk about building something 3 new hotels go up on 365.

Unless government can be talked into pissing away cash on some urban boondoggle.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM

361 posts, read 746,881 times
I am more familiar with Rochester and Buffalo, but my question is why would you want to stay in the state? Syracuse is like every other city in the country - it has good points and bad ones. If you are bonded to the place because of employment, fine. You have to do what you have to do. We all do. But if you are free to make other choices, get out.

The weather sucks in ALL seasons, the job base (industrial) is diluted if not all but disappeared. You have some of the worst taxes in the country and it will not improve. The political situation in NY state is as sorry or worse than that of California and I did not even think that was possible.

NY State is dying and the politicians AND the citizens refuse to fix it. Companies are leaving in droves and most of the state, other than a few tourist areas are all but ghost towns.

A friend of mine was looking at houses in rural NY state, a town called Wellsville (not that far from Syracuse) and he and his wife found a magnificent, 4 BR, tudor-style home - for about 189 thousand !! It was amazing. And the taxes were 29,000 per year !!!!!!! I live in one of the worst tax states in the country and taxes on my house (no mansion by any stretch, a 1500 SF ranch house) are 3150 per year, and THAT is way too high for what I get. But almost ten times that in NY ???

Get out while you can. Everyone else is.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,609,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Get out while you can. Everyone else is.
Amen! It is also shocking to me what little you get for such high taxes here. Unless you live in a village, you don't have sidewalks, curbs, street lights, street cleaning, or other services that taxes normally pay for. Most of that is due to weather and roads, walks, and curbs just don't hold up well in the weather here. But then there are major items like police and fire. I have never lived in a place that didn't have a professional fire department with paid staff 24/7. Volunteers are great, but I want paid professionals who are on duty when I call. Out here in the sticks, we don't even have full time police. The police clock out at a certain time and then calls are directed to other departments. I pay more money for mediocre services.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,257,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
13 murders is nothing you're arguing over 13 murders that mostly happened in the south or west side between gang members...plus you guys had absolutely nothing to say about my government hand outs statement....as far as downtown being 80 percent abandoned that's complete bull...armory square completely occupied with new hotel being built...business district along salina and warren st...mostly occupied with warren street coming back huge (several redevelopments)...outside of those streets there may be a few vacant properties....but university hill completely occupied and extremely vibrant...three colleges in one spot with hospitals, bars, small shopping mall, and more .
13 murders is nothing to you. Most of us live where we have almost none. I've lived in Oneida 15 years and we have had two murders. Syracuse is ten times bigger so that corrects out to 20 murders in 15 years.

Armory square is a cute place for kids to drink but there real is nothing there. And it's tiny. It would be about 1% of the 20 I contend are occupied.

Unless somebody lied the school and the hospitals aren't considered downtown.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,745,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Amen! It is also shocking to me what little you get for such high taxes here. Unless you live in a village, you don't have sidewalks, curbs, street lights, street cleaning, or other services that taxes normally pay for. Most of that is due to weather and roads, walks, and curbs just don't hold up well in the weather here. But then there are major items like police and fire. I have never lived in a place that didn't have a professional fire department with paid staff 24/7. Volunteers are great, but I want paid professionals who are on duty when I call. Out here in the sticks, we don't even have full time police. The police clock out at a certain time and then calls are directed to other departments. I pay more money for mediocre services.
I guess that is the difference... we live in the village and our fire and police departments are paid. We can walk to almost everything we need. We have sidewalks and street cleaning/plowing (sidewalks have a mini-plow), parks, events, etc. Trash and recycling fees are paid for by our taxes. Our children go to school and we don't have to pay additional tuition... it's included in the taxes. Very modest taxes, at that. I rarely, if ever, complain about them. *I* feel that we're more than getting our money's worth. We pay $3100/year and the people up the hill, in their new homes, pay more like $10K. They choose to do that, going in with eyes wide open. They want to live there, in new construction, and pay triple what we do. You don't go into a real estate purchase and not know what the taxes will be...

Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,609,193 times
Don't you pay an additional village tax on top of the school and town taxes?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM

Actually, many of the projects vary with public and private investment. It could be a matter of location, building use/design, etc. in terms of a grocery store. Again, I wouldn't compare a place like Oneida with Syracuse. Apples versus oranges.

I also have an extremely hard time believing that the taxes were that much for a house with that price tag in that area. Not all of Upstate NY is industrial and manufacturing peaked in 1979 in this country. There are other industries and while things could be better, there are other industries that have grown.

As for services, Marcellus still gets covered by the OCSD. So, they actually have duplicate services to a degree. Services can vary by town or area too. In Salina, they pick up trash, plow roads, pick up leaves, will cut tree branches(if asked) and more. So, it depends and sometimes it is a matter of knowing what services are available/needed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area