Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,893 times

Advertisements

My fiance got into SU. We are concerned though because we have read that the unemployment rate is rather high there. I will need a full time job but it doesnt have to be anything special....$9-10 an hour. My expereince is in customer service, retail, and hospitatlity transportation. How hard do you think it would be to find something?

Also, how much is a 1 bedroom apartment in the area? Willing to travel 20 minutes to the University.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
You should be fine. Here are some websites to get you started: Customer Service jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

http://www.suttoncos.com/management/search_results.php

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - - -

Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,893 times
are there parts of Syracuse we should avoid as far as safety is concerned?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronj80 View Post
are there parts of Syracuse we should avoid as far as safety is concerned?
South Side is the most notorious, but further south the better it is. Inner neighborhoods on the other sides of town can be rough and it varies in terms of size and severity. I'd say that the East Side is the nicest side of town, but each side has at least its solid to nice areas. Is there anything that you prefer in a neighborhood/area?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
Having moved to Syracuse 2 years ago, I met someone at my old job who did a pretty good job of pointing out which areas to avoid!

South side: Anything north of 173 is bad and gets worse a mile or two north of 173. South of 173 gets better the farther south you go. Anything EAST of 81 is generally OKAY (University area).

North Side: Lots of Diversity, but not terrible. Personally, anything EAST of Teall is good. If you're beween Teall and Oak, stay NORTH of James street. The area that's between Lodi, James, Burnet and Teall is pretty hairy. Also North Salina over to Grant isn't the greatest.

University area isn't the safest. The area by Erie Blvd East and E. Fayette, I would probably avoid until you get closer to sulphur springs area.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Wrong mineral. :P

The Salt Springs Road area, where downtown>eastbound E. Genesee St. forks, with Salt Springs Road to the left (LeMoyne) and Genesee continuing right (Dewitt.)

Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Having moved to Syracuse 2 years ago, I met someone at my old job who did a pretty good job of pointing out which areas to avoid!

South side: Anything north of 173 is bad and gets worse a mile or two north of 173. South of 173 gets better the farther south you go. Anything EAST of 81 is generally OKAY (University area).

North Side: Lots of Diversity, but not terrible. Personally, anything EAST of Teall is good. If you're beween Teall and Oak, stay NORTH of James street. The area that's between Lodi, James, Burnet and Teall is pretty hairy. Also North Salina over to Grant isn't the greatest.

University area isn't the safest. The area by Erie Blvd East and E. Fayette, I would probably avoid until you get closer to sulphur springs area.
About right. Around the University isn't too bad, but if you want close to the University, I'd go with the Westcott area. On the East Side, around the public housing on East Fayette and west of there along that same street are its real trouble spots. On the South Side, areas south of Seneca Turnpike, west/south of Valley Drive/Glenwood Ave, west of South Ave and east of South Salina between Seneca Turnpike and Ballantyne Road are fine, with some hit or miss exceptions. Some of North Side in the area around Butternut and Lodi can be rough. North of 1st North on gets increasingly better, especially north of Grant Boulevard and east of Schiller Park. Lincoln Hill, which is south of James is alright from around the park up to James. On the West Side, the Near West Side, which is east of Geddes, west of West, north of West Onondaga and south of West Fayette is its roughest area, but is seeing some revitalization and some decrease in crime with the presence of cameras. Its Park Ave area is ok(better on the blocks on Park itself up to West Genesee). Tipperary Hill(west of Geddes) is largely fine, as is the West End(which is just more blue collar). Skunk City, is south of Grand Ave/west of Geddes and north of Bellevue is so-so. Southwestern portions(Strathmore/Winkworth) are nice. I think that covers everything. Here are some other threads: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...use-avoid.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...hborhoods.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...-syracuse.html

and more info: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

City of Syracuse

City of Syracuse

Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
Default Suburban Syracuse NY Apartment Complexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronj80 View Post
My fiance got into SU. We are concerned though because we have read that the unemployment rate is rather high there. I will need a full time job but it doesnt have to be anything special....$9-10 an hour. My expereince is in customer service, retail, and hospitatlity transportation. How hard do you think it would be to find something?

Also, how much is a 1 bedroom apartment in the area? Willing to travel 20 minutes to the University.

thanks!
Hello aaronj80,

You should be fine finding a job especially in the suburban areas.

IMO, the best apartment complexes with the most reasonable rents will be in the suburbs. Search for Metro Syracuse apartments at 13039 Apartments for Rent - Find Apartments in 13039, Cicero, NY

Cicero>>> Cobblestone Square Apartments off South Bay Rd., New Country Village Apartments off State Rt. 31 east near the Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

Liverpool east along/nearby Henry Clay Blvd.>>> Clayton Manor Apts., ABC Estates Apts., Waterbury Ridge Apts., Hampton Estates Townhomes, Norstar Apts., Ravada Hill Apts. (Buckley Rd.), Pinecrest Manor Apts. (W. Taft Rd.-I lived there and loved it), Lakeview Apts. (Old Liverpool Rd.).

Liverpool far north>>> Willow Stream North Apts.-State Rt. 31 west (Willow Stream >>SOUTH<< Apts. probably NOT good), Rivers Pointe Apts.

Camillus>>> Chicopee Mews Apts., Steeplechase at Weatheridge Apts., Kings Gate West Townhomes & Apts., Starlight Estates Apts.

Manlius>>> Academy Place at Verbeck Townhomes, Suburban Park Apts.

Fayetteville>>> Crystal Tree Apts.

Apartments at far-northern suburbs of Baldwinsville east & Radisson Community listed below.

Radisson>>> Center Pointe at Radisson, Drumlin Heights Townhomes, Baldwinsville east>>> The Hammocks at Timber Banks, Kimbrook Manor Apts.

I've tried to avoid listing undesireable apartment complexes.

The above rental complexes outside the City of Syracuse are some of the best in the suburban areas.

grdnrman

Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
About right. Around the University isn't too bad, but if you want close to the University, I'd go with the Westcott area. On the East Side, around the public housing on East Fayette and west of there along that same street are its real trouble spots. On the South Side, areas south of Seneca Turnpike, west/south of Valley Drive/Glenwood Ave, west of South Ave and east of South Salina between Seneca Turnpike and Ballantyne Road are fine, with some hit or miss exceptions. Some of North Side in the area around Butternut and Lodi can be rough. North of 1st North on gets increasingly better, especially north of Grant Boulevard and east of Schiller Park. Lincoln Hill, which is south of James is alright from around the park up to James. On the West Side, the Near West Side, which is east of Geddes, west of West, north of West Onondaga and south of West Fayette is its roughest area, but is seeing some revitalization and some decrease in crime with the presence of cameras. Its Park Ave area is ok(better on the blocks on Park itself up to West Genesee). Tipperary Hill(west of Geddes) is largely fine, as is the West End(which is just more blue collar). Skunk City, is south of Grand Ave/west of Geddes and north of Bellevue is so-so. Southwestern portions(Strathmore/Winkworth) are nice. I think that covers everything. Here are some other threads: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...use-avoid.html

and more info: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

City of Syracuse

City of Syracuse

I like Westcott, but it's getting too dangerous for me. When I go over there to get Alto Cinco (love Alto Cinco), there's always police activity. Police blotters have a lot for that neighborhood. It seems to be pretty safe when the university isn't in session.,

Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I like Westcott, but it's getting too dangerous for me. When I go over there to get Alto Cinco (love Alto Cinco), there's always police activity. Police blotters have a lot for that neighborhood. It seems to be pretty safe when the university isn't in session.,
It can get iffy due to parties that are in the East neighborhood that may attract people and the police presence could also be from the Police substation there as well, but I'm not sure about the hours. I'd say that east of Westcott and south of Euclid is better in terms of living, as you are away from the parties.

Here are some numbers and it includes the Community Policing substation number for the Westcott location: Syracuse Police Department - Syracuse, NY 13202
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area