Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,593 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...i'm not a stranger to the area as I went to RIT 13 yrs ago. I have never had to do a day in and day out commute into Liverpool (Henry Clay Blvd).

Couple of things about me that might help you advise me.
1) I work in manufacturing. I need to be at work 7am at the latest. This usually helps my commute.
2) I stay at work till 5-6pm.
3) Can't commute over 35mins. Sometimes I will have to drive in to the weekends to check on things.
3) I love rural areas and very much want to own 10 acres +.
4) The home i'm looking for is 200k-350k and has privacy. Taxes must be <$8-9K/year.

I have found some homes in the cheaper areas that meet my criteria. A few are north of Syracuse off of 81 in the Parish or surrounding area. What is the commute like into Liverpool on both 81S and 81N?
I have also found homes in the Pompey and Tully area, so I'm curious.

Thanks for the help! And of course general info is always welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikerider View Post
Hey guys...i'm not a stranger to the area as I went to RIT 13 yrs ago. I have never had to do a day in and day out commute into Liverpool (Henry Clay Blvd).

1) I work in manufacturing. I need to be at work 7am at the latest. This usually helps my commute.
3) Can't commute over 35mins. Sometimes I will have to drive in to the weekends to check on things.
4) The home i'm looking for is 200k-350k and has privacy. Taxes must be <$8-9K/year.

I have found some homes in the cheaper areas that meet my criteria. A few are north of Syracuse off of 81 in the Parish or surrounding area. What is the commute like into Liverpool on both 81S and 81N?

You should be fine either way. With I-81, given the time you need to be at work, you should be fine. Usually, the traffic would pick up a bit around Central Square/Brewerton, but like I mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue for you. You can get off at the Taft Road exit and go west all the way to Henry Clay. Taft actually becomes Bear Road just before you get to Henry Clay.

Tully and Pompey are also very nice areas and again, due to the time, you shouldn't run into much traffic on the way to work. From Tully, you would take I-81 North to the Old Liverpool Road exit, then take a left onto Electronics Parkway, which becomes Henry Clay Boulevard once you pass Hopkins Road. Depending on where you are in Pompey, you may take Route 20 to LaFayette and get on I-81 North there or take Route 91 to I-481. From I-481, you could either go south and get on I-81 North at the interchange or go north and get off at the Northern Boulevard exit going south to Taft Road and take that all the way to Henry Clay Boulevard.

You may be able to find rural areas in the Baldwinsville area(towns of Van Buren or Lysander) or even in the northern portion of the town of Clay that could have homes with your criteria. South of Syracuse, you may find something in the town of Onondaga or LaFayette as well. Those areas would have shorter commutes as well and there may be others. Here are some that you may like: 2371 Canal Rd, Camillus, NY 13031

4903 Guy Young Rd, Clay, NY 13029

2483 Masters Rd, Marcellus, NY 13108

3922 Oran Delphi Rd, Manlius, NY 13104

5790 Bull Hill Rd, Onondaga, NY 13084

3710 Makyes Rd, Onondaga, NY 13215

9128 Mower Rd, Elbridge, NY 13080

7473 Bull St, Cicero, NY 13030

3809 Highland Ave, Skaneateles, NY 13152

8860 Ellison Rd, Lysander, NY 13027

3178 Us Route 11 # 88, Mexico, NY 13131

377 Dutcherville Rd, Constantia, NY 13028

During winter may require you to leave a little bit earlier just in case and depending on where you would be coming in from as well.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You should be fine either way. With I-81, given the time you need to be at work, you should be fine. Usually, the traffic would pick up a bit around Central Square/Brewerton, but like I mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue for you. You can get off at the Taft Road exit and go west all the way to Henry Clay. Taft actually becomes Bear Road just before you get to Henry Clay.

Tully and Pompey are also very nice areas and again, due to the time, you shouldn't run into much traffic on the way to work. From Tully, you would take I-81 North to the Old Liverpool Road exit, then take a left onto Electronics Parkway, which becomes Henry Clay Boulevard once you pass Hopkins Road. Depending on where you are in Pompey, you may take Route 20 to LaFayette and get on I-81 North there or take Route 91 to I-481. From I-481, you could either go south and get on I-81 North at the interchange or go north and get off at the Northern Boulevard exit going south to Taft Road and take that all the way to Henry Clay Boulevard.

You may be able to find rural areas in the Baldwinsville area(towns of Van Buren or Lysander) or even in the northern portion of the town of Clay that could have homes with your criteria. South of Syracuse, you may find something in the town of Onondaga or LaFayette as well. Those areas would have shorter commutes as well and there may be others. Here are some that you may like: 2371 Canal Rd, Camillus, NY 13031

4903 Guy Young Rd, Clay, NY 13029

2483 Masters Rd, Marcellus, NY 13108

3922 Oran Delphi Rd, Manlius, NY 13104

5790 Bull Hill Rd, Onondaga, NY 13084

3710 Makyes Rd, Onondaga, NY 13215

9128 Mower Rd, Elbridge, NY 13080

7473 Bull St, Cicero, NY 13030

3809 Highland Ave, Skaneateles, NY 13152

8860 Ellison Rd, Lysander, NY 13027

3178 Us Route 11 # 88, Mexico, NY 13131

377 Dutcherville Rd, Constantia, NY 13028

During winter may require you to leave a little bit earlier just in case and depending on where you would be coming in from as well.

Pompey and Tully are on my list for when I finally get a house ... but may be eliminated.

The next time NYS decides to shut down 81 through the city all summer ... I don't want to have to drive through that mess every day! Especially when they do it without warning or any estimated completion time ...

Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,625 times
I would probably count out Marcellus, Skaneateles, Elbridge, and Auburn. Getting to the freeway from most of these locations and then traveling around the lake will add extra time to your commute. It can be done, but these towns in particular are two lane roads until you get to the freeway.
That is probably my least favorite thing about living in the Marcellus / Skaneateles area. It is a good 15 minutes just to get to 695, 25 minutes to 81 and at least 30 minutes to the thruway.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
6 Richard Avenue, Pennellville NY - Trulia

Something like this, Miller? It's about a 15-minute commute, just north of where you'd be working... fairly straightforward, back roads. Well, more back-road than highways. You wouldn't have to deal with them at all.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I would probably count out Marcellus, Skaneateles, Elbridge, and Auburn. Getting to the freeway from most of these locations and then traveling around the lake will add extra time to your commute. It can be done, but these towns in particular are two lane roads until you get to the freeway.
That is probably my least favorite thing about living in the Marcellus / Skaneateles area. It is a good 15 minutes just to get to 695, 25 minutes to 81 and at least 30 minutes to the thruway.
I was thinking about that in terms of where you are in those towns. You may get away with something rural just off of Route 5 or Route 173, but if it is too far from them, it could be a pain in winter.

Miller, are you looking to be south of Syracuse? Perhaps something in the southern part of DeWitt or parts of the town of Onondaga could work. I say that because you could have options in terms of highway or certain roads into work. I think that part of DeWitt is either in the Jamesville-DeWitt of LaFayette SD's and rural parts of Onondaga are in the Onondaga Central, Marcellus or LaFayette SD's. An area of Onondaga that may really work if you work at SU or University Hill may be the LaFayette Road area past Nob Hill. LaFayette south of the Onondaga Nation and off of Route 11 may be a good option too.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Well - when the time comes, I'll be looking for a low cost option out in the country. I have relatives in the Utica area, so closer to them, the better. South, North or East of the City. Right now I'm in the outer Comstock neighborhood. Commuting through downtown every day to my job in N. Syracuse. Taking I481 over the summer would have turned my 10 mile drive to work into a 23 mile drive to work.

Pennellville is a bit too far west. However, Oswego county is a bit more desirable (for CCW purposes)

Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Well - when the time comes, I'll be looking for a low cost option out in the country. I have relatives in the Utica area, so closer to them, the better. South, North or East of the City. Right now I'm in the outer Comstock neighborhood. Commuting through downtown every day to my job in N. Syracuse. Taking I481 over the summer would have turned my 10 mile drive to work into a 23 mile drive to work.

Pennellville is a bit too far west. However, Oswego county is a bit more desirable (for CCW purposes)
I hear you. Knowing that, you may find something in Cicero or Kirkville and still a short commute, as well as being closer to relatives. Maybe Chittenango or rural areas of northern DeWitt/northern Manlius.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM

655 posts, read 2,327,971 times
Default Commuting from The Countryside to Metro Syracuse in Winter Snowfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikerider View Post

Hello sbr,

When looking for a rural countryside home location please consider the Winter snowfall weather. The worse heavier snowfall/blizzards are usually north of the Onondaga County line, up in Oswego County=north of Oneida Lake, north of Brewerton, north of Baldwinsville. In a bad blizzard/heavy snow it could take you an hour or more to drive a typical 30 minute commute from Liverpool into areas of Oswego County.

The areas of: Hannibal, Fulton, Phoenix, Hastings, Parish, Mexico, Pulaski, Altmar, Williamstown, Camden, and all the villages on the north shore of Oneida Lake are usual heavy snowfall country; more difficult winter commuting. Of course everything east of Lake Ontario is heavy snowfall territory too. The Tully area is nice but then you have heavier snowfall in the hills north of Tully to Lafayette to Nedrow.

Therefore I am going to suggest a good rural countryside region for you to look for prospective homes with acreage where the snowfall can be/may be less than you would find directly north of Onondaga County.

Look at a New York State map. The region I suggest that you look is outlined by the following highways and villages I'll mention.

In the Baldwinsville area, my suggested region begins at Interstate 690/Route 48=call these highways the Eastern border of my suggested area. The northern border of my suggested area is basically Route 370 from Baldwinsville westward to Cato & Route 34-the western border-southward to Weedsport (you can go farther westward to Route 38 [north-south] if you care to but that might mean additional driving time). The southern border of my suggest area is basically Interstate 90/NYS Thruway. Inside this outlined rectangle of territory is plenty of countryside with not-as-bad snowfall as north in Oswego County and north along Interstate 81. There are many rural roads and various properties for sale that I know of west of Baldwinsville/Interstate 690 because I've previously done searches for such properties that you are looking for AND these properties ARE in the price range that you mentioned. To commute to Henry Clay Blvd. You would use the NYS Thruway/Interstate 90 at Weedsport OR Route 370 from the Cato area toward Baldwinsville/Liverpool, to commute to your Job.

There is also some nice, pleasant land available eastward along Route 5 From Chittenango toward Canastota.

There is also some country land still existing somewhat undeveloped southwest of Baldwinsville. This land is bounded on the north by Route 31, on the east by the Seneca River, and on the west by Route 370. I'm sure that development will come to this area of land in the future.

IF you can/could put up with a little more snowfall then you could consider expanding your search a little distance north of Baldwinsville up to the Lamson Road area that runs out of Phoenix westward toward the "Hamlets" of Little Utica, Jacksonville, & Lysander.

All the lands in the areas I've mentioned are nice gently rolling or flat farmlands, woodlands, streams & creeks; I like this region better than north in Oswego County because there is somewhat less snowfall---in spite of some people who will disagree with me about there being less/not as bad snowfall---there really is less.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

I hope my information and comments have been helpful to you.

grdnrman

Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I hear you. Knowing that, you may find something in Cicero or Kirkville and still a short commute, as well as being closer to relatives. Maybe Chittenango or rural areas of northern DeWitt/northern Manlius.
Chittenango is a lot closer to my parents.

The only way I think I would live in Cicero is if I were on the Bridgeport end. Cicero homes are nice, but from what I hear, property taxes in the village are too high. Bridgeport is reasonable, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area