Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM

45 posts, read 267,754 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with Ryan Homes in the Syracuse area? Any comments you might have would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,741,699 times
I have heard bad things about ryan homes from contractors such as they use inferior materials. I don't know if its like that everywhere but the contractors in Rochester were not fans on ryans homes in the Rochester area. A couple guys I know that went to do some work down in NC did not like Ryan homes either. One of the guys told me he was able to kick a hole in the side of the house due to the poor materials they used(they were taking down the wall of that house anyways). And this was a house built 5 years ago.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM

45 posts, read 267,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I have heard bad things about ryan homes from contractors such as they use inferior materials. I don't know if its like that everywhere but the contractors in Rochester were not fans on ryans homes in the Rochester area. A couple guys I know that went to do some work down in NC did not like Ryan homes either. One of the guys told me he was able to kick a hole in the side of the house due to the poor materials they used(they were taking down the wall of that house anyways). And this was a house built 5 years ago.
I visted some of their modelsand had the opportunity to see buildings in process. They seem consistent with other homes I've seen. Of course, I'm not an expert but I saw nothing that was alarming.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:30 PM

578 posts, read 3,086,227 times
I had a friend that built a Ryan in the early 2000's. He had the same general comment about the quality of the exterior walls. Something like "If I ever had to break into my own house it's be easiest to just smash through the wall than kick down the door." They use some cheap paper/composite wall board instead of plywood. A siding contractor I hired said the same thing and said it made the siding installations poor since they weren't nailed into actual wood unless you happened to hit the stud.

Keep in mind I'm passing along 2nd hand information.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 AM

19,342 posts, read 17,250,159 times
Down here in Virginia Ryan Homes are considered disposable. Thats in comparison to other area builders both large & small.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 17,438 times
We owned one and loved it. The floor plan was incredible--excellent use of space and separation yet open flow. It was built in the 80's. Not high end, perhaps, but I bet the price wasn't either. We upgraded backsplashes for example--but the closets were huge with double opening doors, and it was bright and sunny all over...The floors didn't squeak, the vaulted ceilings didn't sag...we really liked it although we'd heard negatives thrown around by non-ryan home owners. (Snobbery, maybe?)

Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 19,727 times
Not snobbery just logic. You do get what you pay for. 1500 sq ft at under $150,000 is not the same as 1500sq ft at $230000k. Unless you think that all those folks that paid more are dumber. Trust no one, especially a builder. RYAN in central NY is consistently considered junk. Wanna really know ? Drive through the new Chittenango site and knock on doors. Take your own survey......................

Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 19,727 times
Ryanhomesnightmare.com read it yourself...................and weep

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 17,438 times
Research -- I'm sure you'll see it's an age thing. The older ones are very solid.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,426 times
We built a Ryan home in Chittenango in 2006. The house is a nightmere. NEVER built with Ryan. Oh and our house was 230k. We still have ongoing problems. We couldn't sell this house if we even gave it away. Ryan Homes does not build quality homes. They use the cheapest labor and products and do not deliver what they promise,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area