Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Everyone knows the best place to shoot dice is in the grassy area next to the new Centro bus hub. Chess Park won't tear the criminal activity away from the barber shop across the street from there and the Middle East Market less than a block away.
Are you talking about Blues Brothers Barber Shop, which is/was owned by a Pastor? Corner stores don't surprise me in that regard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
By most definitions, both areas are poor and run down. I agree that the west side of I-81 is worse, but a shiny new boulevard is not going to revitalize Syracuse absent a massive redevelopment effort on par with the Buffalo Billion. I would estimate it would cost at least $5 billion to clean up the city (and that's assuming that we have a proactive and competent mayor, county executive, county legislature and common council). People go where the jobs are and Syracuse is losing them at a breakneck place. The presence of viaduct has little bearing on whether businesses relocate or expand here. It has much more to do with the politicians, business climate, poor demographics, and existing workforce. It's true that a more attractive and vibrant city would help retain college graduates, however the availability of high paying jobs at forward thinking companies is key. You can dress up the city all you want with arts festivals, quirky events, and a bunch of eccentrics with tattoos and horned rimmed glasses, but once college students finish their degrees they are leaving because the quality and availability of jobs is very weak for a city of this size. I take no pleasure in writing this. I eagerly wait to read of positive news, a breakthrough that will change the direction of this area. Statistics on income, metro area poverty rates, educational attainment, and change in prime working age populations have yet to move in Syracuse's favor.

The I-81 project is being hijacked by organizations like CenterState CEO who have no record of accomplishment and are shooting darts at a board trying to find something that will stick. When indoor air quality jobs and the Center of Excellence idea failed, they shifted focus to a more generic green collar job movement and set up a greentech incubator at the Tech Garden. After that failed to generate enough momentum, they dumped a lot of resources into an entrepreneur boot camp. After receiving their checks from CenterState and their naïve investors, the businesses split town. The illusive inland container port was their next experiment. After awarding a lucrative state grant to a politically connected risk management firm, that project has stalled. At the same time, CenterState glommed onto the idea of exports, despite the fact that Syracuse has consistently trailed its peer cities- and continues to do so with CenterState's meddling. As if their standards for growth in CNY weren't low enough, they are now appealing to Chinese business people to visit Syracuse for medical tourism. This is a badly flawed idea because Syracuse has no nationally ranked hospitals and medical care is typically subpar when compared to other major upstate cities. A Chinese executive would be foolish to pay for a costly connecting flight to Syracuse (likely from New York or Chicago) when they can receive far better medical care in a major U.S city with a hub airport.

With I-81 running through a crime ridden and low income area, CenterState and Mayor Miner are trying to brand the project as a massive jobs and public works initiative that will drop gobs of money out of the sky to assist the poor souls living near the highway and create prosperity for small businesses with guaranteed contracts. Van Robinson believes the highway is akin to the Berlin Wall and if we throw some pixie dust in the air, wave a magic wand, clap our feet hard enough and promise new low income housing to the people living in Pioneer Homes (some residents have gone on record opposing the demolition of the viaduct), all of our problems will be solved. Local residents (including those living on both sides of the highway) are much smarter than people like Van Robinson, Bob Congel, Rob Simpson, Stephanie Miner, and Mark Nicotra would like to believe. I see a lot of hot air coming from both sides of the issue.

I'd also like to add, whatever happened to the Southeast Gateway project? Robinson and several other community leaders attended a taxpayer funded fact-finding trip to Queens and Harlem several years ago to brainstorm options for the project in Syracuse. I think he and several other politicians are using the I -81 project as a way to define their legacy and deflect attention from their inability to improve the South Side.
Just to clear something up, the information given was to explain the differences between the two areas and why/how it came to be. I don't think whatever happens with the I-81 viaduct is going to single handedly transform anything, but MAY open things up for development. Likevpeople have said though, the vision and plan has to be in place in order for anything good to come from it.

Also, it isn't going to take a breakthrough in terms of one event, expansion or change, but there needs to be some structural changes in terms of government and personnel, including organizations like Center State CEO.

With the last part, I think the new thing is the Sankofa Park project. Many gather to debate the creation and design of Sankofa Park *|*The Stand

From listening to Walt Dixie on 620 AM on Sunday mornings, it seems like there has been some issues with funding. Hence, the issues with the new grocery store getting started on South Ave, for an example. I'm not sure if this is why the corridor project/plains haven't come through, but People's AME Zion Church has been trying to jump start things, with some minimal success.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-01-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you talking about Blues Brothers Barber Shop, which is/was owned by a Pastor? Corner stores don't surprise me in that regard though.
I don't know about anyone being a pastor, but they are no stranger to crime and gang activity. Blue family reacts to culture of violence - Time Warner Cable News

Old 10-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know about anyone being a pastor, but they are no stranger to crime and gang activity. Blue family reacts to culture of violence - Time Warner Cable News
I already knew about Kihary and he wasn't in a gang. I'm not sure about the incident at the mall or the one that occurred outside of the shop. It doesn't mention if a family member was involved in that incident.

Yes, Otis is a Reverend.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I already knew about Kihary and he wasn't in a gang. I'm not sure about the incident at the mall or the one that occurred outside of the shop. It doesn't mention if a family member was involved in that incident.
Yes, Otis is a Reverend.
He may not have been in a gang, but he paid the price of being guilty by association. The barber shop tends to fall under that category too because of some of their ties and because of some of the people that may have nothing to do with the barber shop other than living upstairs and hanging around outside the building.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
He may not have been in a gang, but he paid the price of being guilty by association. The barber shop tends to fall under that category too because of some of their ties and because of some of the people that may have nothing to do with the barber shop other than living upstairs and hanging around outside the building.
I agree about his association, but I'm still trying to figure out what ties the Barber Shop has with this type of activity outside of perhaps its location? This given what the article posted stated towards the end and from my time going there to get my haircut(when it was in the Hawley-Green neighborhood).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-01-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I agree about his association, but I'm still trying to figure out what ties the Barber Shop has with this type of activity outside of perhaps its location?
One family member stabbed, another shot, and bullets fly into your family business. Either there are some sort of gang/drug ties or that family just has the worst possible luck on Earth.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
One family member stabbed, another shot, and bullets fly into your family business. Either there are some sort of gang/drug ties or that family just has the worst possible luck on Earth.
Or it could be that a couple of individuals made their choices and the incident has yet to be linked to the barbershop. I'm just try to be open to something that you may actually know personally and not assuming that the barbershop itself is involved in illegal activity.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Fine. There seems to be a lot of activity surrounding the barber shop and involving family members of the barber shop and when there is smoke, there is usually fire, but there is no direct connection between shady activity and the owners of the barber shop. Does that make you happy?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Fine. There seems to be a lot of activity surrounding the barber shop and involving family members of the barber shop and when there is smoke, there is usually fire, but there is no direct connection between shady activity and the owners of the barber shop. Does that make you happy?
Yes.... I'm just asking, because if that is happening within the establishment given who is at the barbershop, then that is very damning or would be very ironic.

Just to bring it back to the thread topic: I-81 break down: What are we missing?

NY Assembly candidate: Rebuild I-81 in Syracuse 'the way it is' | syracuse.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-02-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area