Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Really?

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Highest-income urban areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Per capita, household, by county, by urban area, any way you want it to be true, it just isn't.

Detroit is seeing "investment" because of course there will be some investment in a large major city where you can buy a house for price of an iPod. If houses weren't so bulky to carry, they'd be stolen too. Take a poll to see how many people want to live in Detroit.

If a $500/month difference in an area where the average income is lower is a wash, then I have some laundry for you. $500/month is not a wash to me. Its the cost of a car payment, insurance, cell phone, and utility bill extra, per month. Of course, if you want to put Raleigh apartment costs up against the apartment cost in a small inland city in Upstate NY, might as well throw Altoona in there too. And still the Raleigh place (which is one of 100) was slightly cheaper and way nicer.
Yet the apartment was smaller by 200+ sq ft and had a wider pay range.

You do know the difference between median, per capita and average, right? If you look at this article: Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals=

Albany is at $47,280; Ithaca is at $46,290; Raleigh-Cary is at $45,220 and Syracuse is at $44,370 for average annual pay. Not my words, but from the article.

Again, the apartments are similar and are in planned communities with similar settings. Hence, my reason for posting it. Again, I'll use the words of others, not my own: Brier Creek – Raleigh, NC
brier creek raleigh nc - Google Maps

http://nuhavun.topproducerwebsite.co...-community.asp
About, Radisson Community
Google Maps(zoom out to see location of shopping nearby)

Altoona, Troy and Saratoga Springs do not have anything to do with the Syracuse forum and Syracuse is at least in the top 100 metros for population, while Altoona MAY be on par with metros like Utica-Rome and Binghamton, if that. Actually, there are more people in Syracuse city limits than there are in all of metro Altoona/Blair County PA and in turn, it actually isn't that much bigger than the Ithaca metro in population.

Again, none of this is based on opinion.

As for Detroit, it depends on where you are within the city and while some areas are sad, you have some very nice areas as well, just to be fair. http://www.sherwoodforestdetroit.org/

Tour of the Sherwood Forest Neighbourhood in Detroit - YouTube

Welcome to Palmer Woods

HISTORIC INDIAN VILLAGE - Detroit, Michigan

A Driving Tour of Detroit: Upscale Indian Village - YouTube

The Villages | The Villages of Detroit

Tour of the East English Village neighbourhood in Detroit - YouTube

Property Tour of the University District, Detroit - YouTube
University District Development Corporation

Property Tour of North Rosedale Park, Detroit - YouTube

Property Tour of the Rosedale Park, Detroit - YouTube

North Rosedale Park - Home
Rosedale Park Improvement Association - Home

DETROIT'S BOSTON EDISON NEIGHBORHOOD - YouTube
Boston-Edison Historic District, Detroit Neighborhood

All I was trying to do was give an example. That's all.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-14-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
I sure do. I'll trust my sources since they are US Census numbers. You trust the "Business Journal" website if you wish.

There's nice homes in Camden too.

Altoona, Troy, and Saratoga Springs were used as examples to illustrate my point. You know that.

You doubt the US Census numbers, you claim that Radisson is similar to Brier Creek, but have never been there, and you post a careful selection of videos in Detroit. But...to live in Detroit and to live in Raleigh or even visit is a different experience. That's all I can say.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I sure do. I'll trust my sources since they are US Census numbers. You trust the "Business Journal" website if you wish.

There's nice homes in Camden too.

Altoona, Troy, and Saratoga Springs were used as examples to illustrate my point. You know that.

You doubt the US Census numbers, you claim that Radisson is similar to Brier Creek, but have never been there, and you post a careful selection of videos in Detroit. But...to live in Detroit and to live in Raleigh or even visit is a different experience. That's all I can say.
My info came through the Business Journal by way of the BLS from 2011 and aren't from 2000 like the Wikipedia info you posted. Sorry, but take a look at the article again.

I've been to Raleigh, all be it a while ago and I have family in Detroit, along with being there. Brier Creek is another planned community like Radisson, which is in the town of Lysander(its original name was Lysander New Community). Gananda(Wayne County) and Riverton(Henrietta) are other examples in Upstate NY.

I get that you want to possibly convince people that Raleigh was "the move" for you, but to just dismiss an apartment that is similar and to belittle along the way isn't necessary. Enjoy where you live and leave at that. When or if you actually want information about the area, we're here to help.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My info came through the Business Journal by way of the BLS from 2011 and aren't from 2000 like the Wikipedia info you posted. Sorry, but take a look at the article again.

I've been to Raleigh, all be it a while ago and I have family in Detroit, along with being there. Brier Creek is another planned community like Radisson, which is in the town of Lysander(its original name was Lysander New Community). Gananda(Wayne County) and Riverton(Henrietta) are other examples in Upstate NY.

I get that you want to possibly convince people that Raleigh was "the move" for you, but to just dismiss an apartment that is similar and to belittle along the way isn't necessary. Enjoy where you live and leave at that. When or if you actually want information about the area, we're here to help.

No problem, ckh. I don't have to convince anyone of anything. I thoroughly enjoy it here

When or if I want information about the area, there's lots of excellent people here who I can have great conversation with.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
No problem, ckh. I don't have to convince anyone of anything. I thoroughly enjoy it here

When or if I want information about the area, there's lots of excellent people here who I can have great conversation with.
That's a deal. Just to give an idea of what may work for you, since you like Brier Creek, which according to the mobile maps information on this website has a median household income of $94,117. Radisson, which is broken up into 4 census blocks have areas with median household incomes at $49,327; $91,458; $102,792 and $117,700. I believe the variance may be due to the type of housing in each area and the number of residents that are in different stages of their lives(young professionals, retirees, etc.). So, that may be a good place to look.

Also, if you were to consider the Albany area, this guide may have what you are looking for: Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent

I'd say to look in places like: Colonie, Latham, Loudonville, East Greenbush, Clifton Park, Guilderland, Delmar and Niskayuna, among others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-15-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
I think he's just discussing these places, as near reality as he's aware of, CKH... that's the point of these conversations: to get beyond links and stats and see what's good, what's bad, and discuss what might be done. Anywhere.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I think he's just discussing these places, as near reality as he's aware of, CKH... that's the point of these conversations: to get beyond links and stats and see what's good, what's bad, and discuss what might be done. Anywhere.
^^This. I was using Brier Creek as an example of whats available here, apartment wise. Which, when compared to many parts of the Northeast, is not readily available OR is available at very high price, at least in conjunction with the salary. In other words, and this goes back to my original post, it makes the Northeast a tough place to live.

This thread is about renting being better than owning. I'm stating that renting in the Northeast is particularly difficult if you want a nice, modern place at a good price. One of the things that surprised me about here are the multitude of resort-style apartments as the norm. The garden style apartments built in the 60's aren't even available, and if you do happen to find one, they're very low priced or in not so great areas. Its different in the Northeast as they charge so much for one of these resort style apartments, and there's so few to choose from. Scarcity makes them expensive, I guess.

I've heard many times from people in Maine that you're paid in scenery. I've heard similar sayings in Vermont. I think that alludes back to my point the Northeast having low salaries but above average cost of housing. Of course, smaller inland cities will be cheaper.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I get that and even understand the apartment thing in terms of age. My point was that it is available in the Northeast and Syracuse in particular, in spite of the amount of older apartments that may be in the area. Many older complexes have updated or expanded as well. Wanting a resort style apartment is a preference any way and the original post was about if it is better to rent than buy, which is also an opinion from a suspect source which TJ even noted herself and depends on many factors.

Also, you have to give an idea of a standard with something beyond opinion or the conversation might as well be moot. So, stats and links can at least give that or something to run with.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-15-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
[*]Most people pay twice as much per month to own property than renters because of the high taxes.
Don't fool yourself into thinking renters aren't paying taxes. Their rent is most certainly going towards taxes. No owner will pay them and not charge renters. That's a sure way to bankruptcy.

And who the heck is Credit Donkey???? Hard to take a source with a name like that seriously!

The article says renters don't shovel. I was never that lucky! If I wanted to leave my home after the snow fell, I needed to shovel! The landlord did not do that for me.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
If somebody has been murdered in a house and its for sale does the murder have to be disclosed??

I'm about 99.99% sure one of those Oneida houses had a shooting afew years ago.

ONEIDA Real Estate - 596 Stoneleigh Rd, ONEIDA, NY, 13421
By law, no it does not. However, it's real easy to find this info out if the murder has occurred during the age of the internet. I used to own a house that someone died in. Well, he died on the concrete deck around the inground pool that was removed to build the house when the lot was sold. I didn't know about this until years after I bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area