Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM

3,630 posts, read 9,487,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I thought that the Syracuse Area's economy sucked, so why is there so much construction of stores and houses???
Out of the 100 largest metros in US, the Syracuse metro ranks 3rd or 4th for the least amount of new homes built since 1990.

Only Metro Scranton and Metro Youngstown and maybe Metro Toledo ranks worst.

Since 1990, the Syracuse area only averaged about 1,000 new single family homes each year. Not much in my opinion compared to other Metropolitan areas Syracuse's size. Most metros Syracuse's size built 3,000 to 5,000 new homes each year since 1990.

As for stores, the Syracuse area has had a pent up demand for new retail. During the 1990s not much retail was built in the Syracuse area. Ever since 2002 retail development has exploded trying make up for lost time and to serve the new outlying suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Lot's of available lots in Lawton Valley. Probably only 1 in 5 were sold.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,779,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Out of the 100 largest metros in US, the Syracuse metro ranks 3rd or 4th for the least amount of new homes built since 1990.

Only Metro Scranton and Metro Youngstown and maybe Metro Toledo ranks worst.

Since 1990, the Syracuse area only averaged about 1,000 new single family homes each year. Not much in my opinion compared to other Metropolitan areas Syracuse's size. Most metros Syracuse's size built 3,000 to 5,000 new homes each year since 1990.
Perhaps it's this exact moderation that has saved Syracuse from being in such a severe recession, like the rest of the country. We still have a healthy economy - is Syracuse even in an actual recession? I'm thinking this would be a good time to market Syracuse to the right audience...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM

94,542 posts, read 125,575,863 times
Default Good point......

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Perhaps it's this exact moderation that has saved Syracuse from being in such a severe recession, like the rest of the country. We still have a healthy economy - is Syracuse even in an actual recession? I'm thinking this would be a good time to market Syracuse to the right audience...
I think those areas also built more houses than they need. We also have many nice older homes in the area as well. Too be honest we don't really have too many "bad" neighborhoods. So, hopefully, it could help both the city of Syracuse and Onondaga County as well, if we can market the area to the right people.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 PM

229 posts, read 693,412 times
Bellafinzi, you obviously do a good job at putting emphasis on the new construction in the area... I would have never known...
As far as retail, are there any major chains, or stores that Syracuse lacks? I'm guessing no ikea, but is there anything else notable?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...cuse-area.html

no ikea, Neiman Marcus, Dillard's, Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's, Costco

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 PM

you can always drive to the NYC suburbs for those stores anyways, right?
BTW I am moving to the Syracuse area in December or January!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
you can always drive to the NYC suburbs for those stores anyways, right?
BTW I am moving to the Syracuse area in December or January!
I guess, though I know of no one from the Syracuse area that drives to the NYC area on a regular basis for anything.....

You could always shop online for the high end department stores.

Costco is one of those chains that Syracuse area residents have been trying to lure to the area with e-mails and such for the last few years.....

November, December and January are probably the worst months of year to move to the area since you're arriving toward the beginning of the worst weather of the year. The winter weather can be a shock when everything is new.

Good luck! And welcome to the community.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM

I probably should have moved later... But the job starts January 4th, so I have to move then. I am going to be renting in the city, and I'll be house hunting after I move. I never thought of online shopping, but that is an excellent point. How long does it take to drive to NYC? How long does it take to drive from Clay to downtown? In rush hour? In a snow storm?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
How long does it take to drive to NYC?
I'd imagine about 4 hours....

Quote:
How long does it take to drive from Clay to downtown?
About 20 to 30 minutes depending on which area of Clay you are coming from.

Quote:
How long does it take to drive from Clay to downtown? In rush hour?
About 35 minutes".......................................... .."

Quote:
How long does it take to drive from Clay to downtown? In a snow storm?
Hmmm...really depends. Maybe add 10 or 15 more minutes. If it's a full blown blizzard, maybe add an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area