Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM

19 posts, read 43,284 times

Advertisements

Thank you. We are coming from Northern Indiana (I will miss our low taxes but not the school systems).

By the way, I checked out the east syracuse school district and the high school media program looks great. I have been concentrating my efforts on looking around Liverpool so any recommendations on neighborhoods in that area? I guess there were some recommendations by future colleagues for that area and also north syracuse, but I wasn't super impressed by the schools in the north or by what appears to be a lack of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM

92,256 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
Thank you. We are coming from Northern Indiana (I will miss our low taxes but not the school systems).

By the way, I checked out the east syracuse school district and the high school media program looks great. I have been concentrating my efforts on looking around Liverpool so any recommendations on neighborhoods in that area? I guess there were some recommendations by future colleagues for that area and also north syracuse, but I wasn't super impressed by the schools in the north or by what appears to be a lack of diversity.
If you look at North Syracuse, look into areas that feed into Roxboro Road and Bear Road Elementary Schools. Neighborhoods in eastern Clay along Bear Road and in the Caughdenoy Road areas have some diversity. There's some in the Mattydale area, but there aren't really any nice apartments there, but I believe that the portion of Pitcher Hill in the district feeds into the Roxboro schools. I already mentioned how there are some Black people in leadership positions in the district.

In East Syracuse, the village, as well as the Park Hill, Parkwood and Franklin Park areas have some diversity. Some areas just outside city limits near Lyncourt and Thompson Road go there as well. There are a couple of churches, one with a mixed congregation and another that is out of the Black tradition in the area/district. So, there I don't think that would be an issue either.

I mentioned areas of Liverpool in another post, but specific schools that seem to be more diverse are Chestnut Hill Elementary, Long Branch Elementary, Donlin Drive Elementary and lately, Nate Perry Elementary.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,505,025 times
Quote:
Becca--when I look online the Saddle Wood apartments don't seem too bad. Would you say the place is bad for overall issues with property management or neighborhood, safety, crime, cleanliness, etc.?
I don't think it's Saddle Club that's the problem. Like I said before, there are other problem complexes in that area. Neighborhood, safety, and crime would be my main concerns there. But again, it's hit or miss. I personally don't like being in a neighborhood where it's just apartment building after apartment building. I do see lots of kids in that area though, so families can do fine there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know that Pinecrest Manor has a small park next to it and it is right behind the Taft Road Wegmans. There's also a swimming pool and a tennis court on the grounds. It is in the Liverpool SD. Grenadier Village in Liverpool has the Elmcrest Elementary School playground close by and has swimming pools, a tennis court and a beach volleyball court on the premises. So, those 2 may work.
Pinecrest is known for having awful management. I knew several people that lived there and hated it for that reason. That is why I never considered them in their searches.

Grenadier Village is nice - one of my friends just moved out of there after finding a place in the Village of Liverpool. He lived there for over 5 years, no issues to write home about. Another potential option may be Village Green in Bville, but that would put her in a different school district.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I don't think it's Saddle Club that's the problem. Like I said before, there are other problem complexes in that area. Neighborhood, safety, and crime would be my main concerns there. But again, it's hit or miss. I personally don't like being in a neighborhood where it's just apartment building after apartment building. I do see lots of kids in that area though, so families can do fine there.

Pinecrest is known for having awful management. I knew several people that lived there and hated it for that reason. That is why I never considered them in their searches.

Grenadier Village is nice - one of my friends just moved out of there after finding a place in the Village of Liverpool. He lived there for over 5 years, no issues to write home about. Another potential option may be Village Green in Bville, but that would put her in a different school district.
Village Green may be good if the OP doesn't mind Baldwinsville schools. There are other apartments close by. I did think about Radisson or Kimbrook, which are also in the B'ville SD. Radisson has plenty of apartments, trails and other amenities. Kimbrook is closer to shopping on Route 31 and similar to Liverpool neighborhoods close by.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

I should mention, as far as apartment complexes go, if you want to be walking distance to the Village of Liverpool, these are your options -

Harborside Manor | Dawn Homes Realty Investor

Pearl Street | Dawn Homes Realty Investor

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

(a member here lived in Covered Bridge and loved it)

Other than that, it's pretty much flats and houses in the Village of Liverpool. Marina Apartments is right on the lake, but they rarely have availability and would be too small for a family I think. There's also studios and 1-bedrooms upstairs in the Village Mall.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM

There's these townhomes just north of John Glenn Boulevard too: Glenview Townhouses Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

and some others: Longbranch Park Apartment & Townhouses - Floor Plans

Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,908,628 times
Quote:
You all have been great. ProulXFamily--THANK YOU for that advice RE the Lake. I was thinking that not necessarily to swim, but more of a stroll if it is park like, but if it is that polluted--suggestions for other leisurely strolls in this regard? lol

I appreciate all of your advice. I also appreciate the inclusion of diversity comments--and the schools. Black/non-black ratio is not so much a big deal (we don't really care or see color as much as some others do around us) as long as it is an inclusive mindset in general that is most important. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will get a chance to come and see for ourselves some of these areas and look at houses, etc... I haven't looked yet at the North area in terms of schools, but based on your suggestions have researched a little more on the J-D, and F-M, and Liverpool areas for living and schools and all three seem to be excellent school systems at least as far as HighSchool academics are concerned.

Is it me, or do the pics from the J-D areas seem a little run down for houses? Keep in mind, I have two sons--one nearly in HighSchool and one in elementary so I really would like SAFE neighborhoods to live in as well as EXCELLENT schools. I know--what can I say, I'm a mom and a woman--I want it all!
My brother and family (2 daughters, one in college, one goes to HS in Liverpool) live there, and my mom just moved to a house in the Village, about 2 blocks from the lake.

The park around the lake is beautiful, and a lot better than when I grew up there. My family loves Liverpool and their neighborhood is very safe. What else does your family enjoy doing - that might help with your decision?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,908,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I live in the Village of Liverpool and absolutely love it. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, questions, etc... I would be glad to help. When I was first looking at areas to live, the lake was a huge plus as I thought it was swimmable... after some quick Googling however, I found out that's not the case. But regardless, the Village is still a fantastic place to live even if you can't swim in the lake
Sad about the lake, really. I grew up there and the lake's never been swimmable. I work for a company now that has a technology to clean up polluted water. I'm contacting HW regarding the cleanup. I'd love to see the lake cleaned up in my lifetime......

Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'd love to see the lake cleaned up in my lifetime......
This is my dream too They're working on it, just don't know how long it will take.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 43,284 times
It kind of stinks because its summer and we can't visit the schools "in action" but I have to go by what I read. My husband is flying up tomorrow and will be there for some work stuff on Monday, and plans to look around before catching his flight back home. I think he is going to check out some of these places in Liverpool and some of the colleagues from the place he will be working is suggesting East Syracuse area too.

As a family, we like being outdoors--here at home we go to the zoo and our city has amazing park system so we do that alot too, and camping. My oldest is active with sports and likes to ride bike, skateboard, etc. In winter, we love to sled, he snowboards. We are not big "shoppers" to just go shop, but like to explore art, museums, and do things to learn about the world and people. We like exotic foods--we call them culinary expeditions :-)

For my work, any of you have suggestions for PR/Marketing/Communications work or nonprofit development? This is my field and I am starting to look casually in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area