Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 AM

93,300 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Here are some more rentals: Village Setting 3 BR PET FRIENDLY Apartment/House

3 bedroom

Mattydale Home Available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM

186 posts, read 634,761 times
I'm a little late with this but I hope it helps.

I'm a big ugly mean looking Hispanic guy lol. My future wife is a small pretty white girl that looks as old as our kids. We live in Dewitt and have not had any problems with race issues at all. Not to mention I'm in to what most would consider "Red Neck" sports. Cars, motorsports, off roading and what not. I do get looks but then again I stand out in those crowds. I don't believe they are looking with malicious intent. And if they are it's not on a level that I can't ignore. The race issues out here are what you make them out to be. If you want them to be a problem then you'll get what you want. If you just want to enjoy your life and avoid that type of conflict you won't have a problem with doing that at all.

As far as the schools go. The only experience that I have is with our kids at JD High School and Middle School. One of our kids is white. The other one is Hispanic, black, and a bunch of other stuff lol. Nether one of them have any issues at all.

I will say this though. What you're seeing on paper seems to be more of a class issues (income levels, goals, lifestyles) than anything. There is a very big divide when it comes to that around here. Not that everyone in the good neighborhoods is rich or has high expectations. Basically I wouldn't be shocked to hear about bullies or issues in some of the poor schools. I've also seen bad attitudes from parents and students in the higher income schools toward the city schools and vice versa. This problem is deeper than race and income. It's seems to be a deep rooted history of problems. This is a long story and discussion.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if you look for a nice neighborhood to live in and a good school district to send your kids to you won't have a problem unless you or your kids act all ghetto lol. If you move into the ghetto and your act proper I'm sure you might have issue with haters. That's as cut and dry as I can get. It really doesn't have anything to do with color even though some would like to say it does.

That's how I see things. I hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Here is a way to view the make up of your neighborhood or potential neighborhood: American FactFinder - Search

You can enter an address and pick the items you want to view. Usually the Census tract, Block group and Block items are a little bit more specific or pinpoints the area a little bit more. This information is from 2010, but it can still give a visual of the neighborhood that you live in or may live in.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 76,191 times
I just wanted to add that I just moved to the area from the midwest (Tulsa, OK) on June 1st. I spent about 4 months looking for places to live and originally looked at the FM/Dewitt area. We wanted to rent and were looking for 4 bedroom houses...and couldn't find anything. We ended up renting in the Cicero area...and we love it. Granted, I have only lived there for a month (June...and have spent the month of July in Vegas) but I have a multi-cultural family (my husband is from India...and I am from US...we have 2 kids). The North Syracuse School District from what I understand is very good but VERY big. I opted to put my kids in a very small catholic private school (which I find rather affordable compared to other private schools we have been in before) They have a 3 year old, 4 yr old and kind program...not sure if that is an option. I have to say that I have found everyone there so amazing nice and helpful. I love how everything is really only 20 mins at the most away. Cicero has Lake Oneida and a rec center, but I haven't checked it out yet, so I can't tell you much about that. If there is anything I can do to help (having just done all the research myself) let me know...but I know there are great people on here with TONS of great advice!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,862 times
I'm only on page three and need to go finish dinner. But good god please tell me someone steered her away from Saddle Wood apartments.

Did we mention Baldwinsville? For renting its still one of my top recommendations.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I'm only on page three and need to go finish dinner. But good god please tell me someone steered her away from Saddle Wood apartments.

Did we mention Baldwinsville? For renting its still one of my top recommendations.
Yes, but I'm not sure if it fits the criteria that the OP presented. Some areas may work more so than others though.

Hopefully, everything has worked out.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magicians Eye View Post
I'm a little late with this but I hope it helps.

I'm a big ugly mean looking Hispanic guy lol. My future wife is a small pretty white girl that looks as old as our kids. We live in Dewitt and have not had any problems with race issues at all. Not to mention I'm in to what most would consider "Red Neck" sports. Cars, motorsports, off roading and what not. I do get looks but then again I stand out in those crowds. I don't believe they are looking with malicious intent. And if they are it's not on a level that I can't ignore. The race issues out here are what you make them out to be. If you want them to be a problem then you'll get what you want. If you just want to enjoy your life and avoid that type of conflict you won't have a problem with doing that at all.

As far as the schools go. The only experience that I have is with our kids at JD High School and Middle School. One of our kids is white. The other one is Hispanic, black, and a bunch of other stuff lol. Nether one of them have any issues at all.

I will say this though. What you're seeing on paper seems to be more of a class issues (income levels, goals, lifestyles) than anything. There is a very big divide when it comes to that around here. Not that everyone in the good neighborhoods is rich or has high expectations. Basically I wouldn't be shocked to hear about bullies or issues in some of the poor schools. I've also seen bad attitudes from parents and students in the higher income schools toward the city schools and vice versa. This problem is deeper than race and income. It's seems to be a deep rooted history of problems. This is a long story and discussion.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if you look for a nice neighborhood to live in and a good school district to send your kids to you won't have a problem unless you or your kids act all ghetto lol. If you move into the ghetto and your act proper I'm sure you might have issue with haters. That's as cut and dry as I can get. It really doesn't have anything to do with color even though some would like to say it does.

That's how I see things. I hope that helps.

This is a great post!

And as it happens to coincide with my thoughts on the subject I have to give it a thumbs up

My family lived in both Baldwinsville and Liverpool for a total of five years. We now live in the true rural area of northern NY. I would say all three areas are predominantly white. Where I live now is a very rural, more cows than people type of area. But as Magician stated, we aren't predominately white because the area is racist. I think its more related to the hesitancy of others to move to a place that is stereotypically thought of as redneck and racist. We are definitely redneck but not racist.

However, as Magician said, if you move into the area and are acting in an unapproachable manner (it takes a lot for me to find something unapproachable, I'm thinking of things like those cars that bounce to the beat of music, pants that hang around mid thigh, cursing, loud, belligerent behavior type of unnapproachable behavior). But if you move in and smile and say hello I'm going to bring you a pie so I can be nosy and see what you've done with the house (cause I'm sure I ran through it as a child), quiz you on your life's history, and invite you for dinner once you're settled. I'm a little overbearing like that.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
I've heard the northern suburbs are a bit racist and close minded - Cicero, Liverpool.

Manlius, Fayetteville, Jamesville ... they seem to be pretty progressive.

I live in SU neighborhood. Not a problem where I am.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I've heard the northern suburbs are a bit racist and close minded - Cicero, Liverpool.

Manlius, Fayetteville, Jamesville ... they seem to be pretty progressive.

I live in SU neighborhood. Not a problem where I am.
Where did you hear that about the Northern suburbs? You actually have some areas with some diversity in those school districts and you see interracial couples as well. I wouldn't say that it is perfect, but I don't know about the racist/close minded rep.

Also, in the North Country, the military presence from Fort Drum has brought diversity to the area. School districts like Indian River, Carthage and Watertown come to mind, with a little bit in certain small towns like Canton and Potsdam due to the colleges. Massena has a relatively decent sized Native American population as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM

ckh you bring up a good point. Fort Drum has definitely brought more diversity to the entire northern region. And it also is or economic lifeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area