Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the area and will be looking for a house to rent in a family friendly neighborhood. We will only be there for about a year and a half. We have two boys (5 and 2). A great elementary school is a huge priority for us. We love to stay busy and are pretty active so we want to near shopping, parks, nice recreation areas and recreation centers/gyms. My husband will need to get to Syracuse University daily. He'd like to stay within a 30ish minute drive. Our budget would be about $1600 to 1800/month. Any recommendation of areas? I've been seeing Westhill or James Dewitt districts? Can anyone suggest specific neighborhoods or streets? Unfortunately I will probably not be able to visit there before we move, so it may be a sight unseen move !! (which is not uncommon for us - being military!) We still want to make sure we get all the input we can. My husband will hopefully be able to go there for a couple days and I want to give him a list of areas to check out! Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp1399 View Post
We will be relocating to the area and will be looking for a house to rent in a family friendly neighborhood. We will only be there for about a year and a half. We have two boys (5 and 2). A great elementary school is a huge priority for us. We love to stay busy and are pretty active so we want to near shopping, parks, nice recreation areas and recreation centers/gyms. My husband will need to get to Syracuse University daily. He'd like to stay within a 30ish minute drive. Our budget would be about $1600 to 1800/month. Any recommendation of areas? I've been seeing Westhill or James Dewitt districts? Can anyone suggest specific neighborhoods or streets? Unfortunately I will probably not be able to visit there before we move, so it may be a sight unseen move !! (which is not uncommon for us - being military!) We still want to make sure we get all the input we can. My husband will hopefully be able to go there for a couple days and I want to give him a list of areas to check out! Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Are you looking for rental homes and/or apartments? You get pretty much any of the suburbs within that time frame. So, it may be a matter of what kind of rental you are looking for.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Your budget will get you in anywhere. Go big, go Skaneateles.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

If you don't mind a complex, here is a good guide: Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY - Syracuse Apartment Rentals

Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,542 times
Thanks for the responses. I will check these places out. We'd prefer a house so we'd have a yard for the kids. Any input on the better school districts? Elementary schools?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp1399 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will check these places out. We'd prefer a house so we'd have a yard for the kids. Any input on the better school districts? Elementary schools?
Business First - 2012 Upstate school district rankings

Business First - 2012 Syracuse Area school district rankings

You can also enter an address on here to see what school is the closest to that residence: Search for School Profiles

It can be helpful for districts that have more than 1 elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area