Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 AM

14 posts, read 26,700 times

Advertisements

I moved from Oswego, NY area to Idaho... And I HATE IT HERE!

I want to move back HOME so bad! But the soon to be hubby thinks NY is just the worst place in the world to live. He says that our taxes are just to high and that the crime rate is also to high as well.

Could someone please help me point out some good areas to live around Syracuse/Oswego?

He is looking for:
  • Low taxes
  • Not over populated
  • Low crime rate
  • Low cost of living
  • Low housing cost (He wants to buy a house.)

Also:
  • He also is a VET and if anyone knows of any tax breaks or benefits for VETS in NY please share!
  • He also is worried about gun laws so if someones knows where I can find gun laws for this area please let me know!

I know Watertown VA is not that great at all.
Syracuse VA seems pretty good but has it's moments.
Oswego has a out patient clinic that has really good staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWinnK View Post
I moved from Oswego, NY area to Idaho... And I HATE IT HERE!

I want to move back HOME so bad! But the soon to be hubby thinks NY is just the worst place in the world to live. He says that our taxes are just to high and that the crime rate is also to high as well.

Could someone please help me point out some good areas to live around Syracuse/Oswego?

He is looking for:
  • Low taxes
  • Not over populated
  • Low crime rate
  • Low cost of living
  • Low housing cost (He wants to buy a house.)

Also:
  • He also is a VET and if anyone knows of any tax breaks or benefits for VETS in NY please share!
  • He also is worried about gun laws so if someones knows where I can find gun laws for this area please let me know!

I know Watertown VA is not that great at all.
Syracuse VA seems pretty good but has it's moments.
Oswego has a out patient clinic that has really good staff.
What's your monthly budget for a mortgage? (And what amount would you like to stay around?) I ask that instead of housing price mainly because if I can find a property with low enough taxes, you can get a drastically better home.

Benefits of a VA Home Loan: VA Home Loan Rates ~ Guidelines, Eligibility & Requirement for VA Loans: Lock in Low Mortgage Rates

Possible Fees: Loan Fee - Home Loan

Gun Laws are restrictive for civilians, in that clips and magazines may no longer hold more than 7 rounds... and possession of a 10-round clip or magazine will be illegal as of January 2014. For now, they're not sold in stores but ones already in possession are not illegal. There are exemptions for devices older than 50 years; they're considered antique firearms then.

However, you may have as many 7-round clips/magazines as you'd like. :P

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
Tell your husband not to worry about the gun laws here because it is hard to find ammo and if you do it is expensive since the latest gun laws were passed because people are hoarding as much as they can.

Your husband is right about the guns and the taxes. I don't think you can win that argument.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Low end of the budget example, in Tully, NY 13159: http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...1&mode=Search#

*$67,900
*Taxes, complete for county/school/village: $2323
*Nice area in the back, landscaped/set up for relaxing... not sure why they used late winter pictures for the front and summer for the back. lol - maybe they keep the front kind of ugly on purpose, to keep the taxes low? :P
*Imagining all their junk OUT and with a fresh coat of paint on the walls, it's a good house.
*Close and quick access to I-81, for about a 15-minute drive to downtown Syracuse... for the VA.
*Rolling countryside, surrounding the village... a good, safe area. And it's walkable for stores, restaurants, the library, and a community pool.

30-year, fixed, VA loan at 4.3%, no downpayment required: $334.04
Escrowed taxes, escrowed into monthly: $193.58
Mortgage insurance, not applicable to VA mortgages: $0
Estimated homeowner's insurance, escrowed into monthly, low with the fire department so nearby: $50

Total mortgage payment: $577.62

If you wanted a 15-year mortgage instead, to be rid of it, the payment would be $753.08.

County records on the home: http://ocfintax.ongov.net/Imate/prop...00030340000000

To get the taxes lower, find which of these exemptions are applicable to you. Veterans' exemption

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM

93,302 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Tell your husband not to worry about the gun laws here because it is hard to find ammo and if you do it is expensive since the latest gun laws were passed because people are hoarding as much as they can.

Your husband is right about the guns and the taxes. I don't think you can win that argument.
With the taxes, he would be eligible for the Veterans exemption, the STAR exemption and if he is "disabled", he would be eligible for that exemption. So, it may be a matter of eligibility in terms of tax exemptions. Rates vary between and within municipalities as well.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the crime, as outside of select urban neighborhoods, it doesn't get that bad. Especially given the criteria.

You also can find areas with reduced utility costs due to NYPA. Select communities and rural areas are customers: Welcome to the New York State Rural Electric Cooperative Home Page

New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

It appears that the gun laws would be the biggest deterrent for him.

All things considered, it appears that counties like Otsego, Delaware and Steuben are worth a look or a community like Philadelphia or Theresa in Jefferson County near Fort Drum could work. Greene in Chenango County could work as well. As for the Syracuse metro area, Hamilton and Madison County communities in the Oneida-Madison Coop may work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM

27 posts, read 254,970 times
Housing prices in Auburn are extremely low, it is commutable to Syracuse, and has a decent school system. Crime is almost always domestic or drug related here. If you don't do drugs or marry a psychopath, you will be safe. The housing costs are slightly higher in the rest of Cayuga County, a few of the villages are less commutable to Syracuse (but generally become commutable to Ithaca instead), but all the school districts in the county are pretty good and overall a low crime rate. There are a lot of great country homes here, too! Seneca County, Ontario County and Wayne County have some great villages and reasonable country homes, too. The City of Geneva isn't bad but I'm not sure about crime or schools, City of Canandaigua is safe but way overrated and overpriced. South of Canandaigua you are in the boonies. It's very pretty, but I have no clue where people work. Ithaca in Tompkins County has a lot of jobs and things to do, but it's very liberal and I don't think your gun-toting husband would be happy living there. The rest of the areas I mentioned are pretty conservative. I think your husband would really like this area, especially if he's from the country.

Not 100% sure about the specific gun laws, but almost everyone I know who lives in the country here in Cayuga County have a couple legally. I don't see too many gun owners in the city which probably isn't a bad thing.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
What's your monthly budget for a mortgage? (And what amount would you like to stay around?) I ask that instead of housing price mainly because if I can find a property with low enough taxes, you can get a drastically better home.

Benefits of a VA Home Loan: VA Home Loan Rates ~ Guidelines, Eligibility & Requirement for VA Loans: Lock in Low Mortgage Rates

Possible Fees: Loan Fee - Home Loan

Gun Laws are restrictive for civilians, in that clips and magazines may no longer hold more than 7 rounds... and possession of a 10-round clip or magazine will be illegal as of January 2014. For now, they're not sold in stores but ones already in possession are not illegal. There are exemptions for devices older than 50 years; they're considered antique firearms then.

However, you may have as many 7-round clips/magazines as you'd like. :P

Monthly income for just him is $2700 house income is $3900

Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWinnK View Post
Monthly income for just him is $2700 house income is $3900
So, about $1000-1300 a month max for a mortgage?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, about $1000-1300 a month max for a mortgage?

Want it to be around $1000 or less.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM

These may be worth looking into due to being the Madison-Oneida Electric Cooperative: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Service Area | oneida-madison.coop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area