Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:45 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
That's funny! Also, despite what all of the NYC boosters say about "Silicon Alley" (original isn't it?), there is actually far more tech activity (on a per capita basis) in much smaller cities like Boston, Austin and Seattle. If it weren't for broadcast media being ensconced in NYC and what little remains of the publishing industry, there would be even less. Outside of mobile apps which are naturally attracted to the concentration of financial institutions and broadcast media, the tech concentration in NYC is not particularly dynamic or dense.
I watched something on Bloomberg about this very topic, NYC's "Silicon Alley" really focuses on financial tech. and on-line publishing. Silicon Valley has cornered everything else, NYC has a way to go. City's like Syracuse and its low cost of living, and concentration of academic institutions may become a contender to some degree. If centerstate can't do the job, it is encouraging to see entrepreneurs like Chattopadhyay's paving the way. Personally, I think that chambers of commerce are relic of the past thanks to technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I watched something on Bloomberg about this very topic, NYC's "Silicon Alley" really focuses on financial tech. and on-line publishing. Silicon Valley has cornered everything else, NYC has a way to go. City's like Syracuse and its low cost of living, and concentration of academic institutions may become a contender to some degree. If centerstate can't do the job, it is encouraging to see entrepreneurs like Chattopadhyay's paving the way. Personally, I think that chambers of commerce are relic of the past thanks to technology.
Actually, it appears CenterState is behind Armory Square Ventures and coordinated the local group that is funding the VC firm, so I'm not holding my breath. Take a look at page 22/23 of this report:
http://regionalcouncils.ny.gov/theme...al-2013-pr.pdf

I have to admit that reading the "progress" report is very encouraging and gives the impression Syracuse is on the rebound. Then I remind myself that these reports have been issued for years with the same level of optimism and encouragement and look at the results. It's a good read nonetheless.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Meanwhile things are moving at a quick pace in the Utica-Rome area:

Help wanted: Nanotech job openings on the way - Utica, NY - The Observer-Dispatch, Utica, New York

SUNYIT’s student body has been growing as word of the Quad-C spread in recent years. Now, there about 2,500 students enrolled, but Geer said he expects that number to rise “dramatically.” He said he expects more international students to come to the campus, but also wants to draw people from the Mohawk Valley and the state. “We want to make sure New Yorkers come and they get the skills for these jobs and they stay here,” he said.

About 1,000 of the expected jobs in Marcy will be connected with a single business — Advanced Nanotechnology Solutions Inc. The company is developing a new technology called 3-D Interconnect, which seeks ways to stack computer chips on top of one another, instead of side by side on a circuit board as is the common practice today. Researchers hope the change will bring technological advances that improve performance, cost less and consume less energy. Products that might use the new technology include everything from smart phones and laptops to healthcare and clean energy equipment. Many of the 1,000 jobs will be in high-tech manufacturing, and about half will not require an extensive technical background.

Utica is now on the global technology map, unreal! But hey, take heart, Syracuse is the "Silicon Dairy" of the world according to Cuomo!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-14-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Actually, it appears CenterState is behind Armory Square Ventures and coordinated the local group that is funding the VC firm, so I'm not holding my breath. Take a look at page 22/23 of this report:
http://regionalcouncils.ny.gov/theme...al-2013-pr.pdf

I have to admit that reading the "progress" report is very encouraging and gives the impression Syracuse is on the rebound. Then I remind myself that these reports have been issued for years with the same level of optimism and encouragement and look at the results. It's a good read nonetheless.
Remains to be seen. It does seem like "Armory Square" is developing a brand name for itself. I don't think there is another upstate neighborhood that can brag about that. There is Allentown or the Elmwood Strip in Buffalo, but nothing like Armory Square on a corporate level. I just hope their is a CNY bias over other upstate regions. Well, time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area