Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times

Advertisements

The media is a double edged sword. It helps people stay informed, uses scare tactics for ratings, and twist stories to fit their agenda. There is also the aspect that some of these idiots commuting these crimes wouldn't come up with this stuff on their own. It is't violent music or video games that put ideas in their heads, it is what they see in the media.

The area that this happened in isn't all that bad. It is high traffic area across the street from a "cop bar". I have used the redbox shown in the crime photos and it wasn't the safest area, but I would get out of my car and return movies and not think anything of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The media is a double edged sword. It helps people stay informed, uses scare tactics for ratings, and twist stories to fit their agenda. There is also the aspect that some of these idiots commuting these crimes wouldn't come up with this stuff on their own. It is't violent music or video games that put ideas in their heads, it is what they see in the media.

The area that this happened in isn't all that bad. It is high traffic area across the street from a "cop bar". I have used the redbox shown in the crime photos and it wasn't the safest area, but I would get out of my car and return movies and not think anything of it.
I know what you mean, as it is a transitional area and actually if you go away from that area in a couple or even a few directions, the neighborhoods improve.

I think that since random crime is usually rare here, it gets shown more often and if you are already apprehensive about going into the city, this doesn't help. Even if there is a range of city neighborhoods.

Sometimes this happens for a variety of reasons ranging from boredom to being under the influence to "rage". It is a damn shame regardless.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 22,048 times
Default Polar bear hunting

Googled "polar bear hunting" and the first link was to;

The New Urban Sport…’Polar Bear Hunting’ » UrbanGrounds

Entry entitled:

"The New Urban Sport: Polar Bear Hunting"

Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 329,379 times
Someone said that the victim can be anyone, but 99.99% of the time the victim is elderly, defenseless and white. Look up examples of the Knockout Game, and you'll see what I mean. Also Google Colin Flaherty, he reports stuff you will never see on the MSM.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibeany View Post
Someone said that the victim can be anyone, but 99.99% of the time the victim is elderly, defenseless and white. Look up examples of the Knockout Game, and you'll see what I mean. Also Google Colin Flaherty, he reports stuff you will never see on the MSM.
There have been Asian, gay, Hispanic, younger and even Black victims. Knockout is actually not a new game. I remember seeing a video of it on TV when showed an incident in Washington DC from years ago. It's not good however it occurs.

In the case of this incident, this person also had other incidents on his record and that is most likely a common theme with this as well.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM

178 posts, read 329,379 times
I agree, it's not a new game at all, I think we're just hearing about it a little more. On a fun side note, the teen credited with bringing the Knockout Game to St. Louis (I think) was shot and killed by the homeowner during a home invasion attempt. He was the main perp in an attack on an elderly Asian couple where the husband was killed.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,031 times
According to an analysis of crime statistics done by The Post-Standard, assaults in the city of Syracuse and the suburbs of Onondaga County, surprisingly, are down 20% so far this year when compared to the same time frame in 2012. The rate of decline in the suburbs was the same or slightly better than the decline in the city which is a good sign. Statistics can be interpreted in many different ways. Crime could be down in the city but increasing in the suburbs which could still give the cumulative effect of a decline in crime countywide.

According to the stats provided, that is not the case and assaults are down across-the-board. The number of homicides is up in the city and flat or slightly declining in the suburbs when compared to last year. Assaults are only one piece of the crime puzzle but are among the most disturbing.

Assaults are also down from 2011 during the same period. That is little consolation to the families, neighbors, and victims of an increasingly random number of brazen crimes occurring in some parts of the city. Hopefully things will improve but aggressive enforcement measures (particularly at corner stores) and strict sentences for perps involved in these random assaults must be part of the equation.

From frying pan to 'random, vicious' attack, the skinny on Syracuse assaults: Crime database | syracuse.com

Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
The latest victim has passed away. I hope they make an example out of the ******* that did this and get the message across loud and clear.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The latest victim has passed away. I hope they make an example out of the ******* that did this and get the message across loud and clear.
I agree, especially given his record and the chances he got.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:49 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Crime is only down if not reported. This makes the city look "safer". Syracuse has never been a real safe town..
These knock out games are pretty straight forward, hate crimes against whites...Take the wool down from your eyes people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area