Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times

Advertisements

Hey there my lovely Syracuse area C-D peeps! I have some big news that will come as a huge shock to most of you although I know a few of you have caught wind of it already.

I'm moving! To Philly!!

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Syracuse area itself, it's for a new job. I never planned on leaving especially since I just bought the house in January. Unfortunately, I decided it was time to move on from my firm and there are just NO other opportunities for me here as I work in a very specific niche industry. I don't get to choose where I end up, I go where the jobs are. There has been lots of interviewing, soul searching, and many many tears the past few months trying to figure out my plan. I was devastated to come to the realization that if I wanted a new job, I would have to leave the Syracuse area and my house behind.

I have been talking to this specific firm for about a year. They have an office off Carrier Circle which is why I initially reached out to them - I wanted to try to stay here. They just couldn't make it work, they would need me down in Philly. As a compromise, I start work on 12/2 and will remain in Syracuse until I get everything in order - I will likely relocate between Xmas and New Years.

I am keeping my house and will rent it out. I already have a property management company that was waiting for me to give them the green light, which I did today. And funny story - I actually found someone on this forum that is interested in renting the house.

I am terrified to start this new chapter, but I know it is the right decision for me. I'm very excited to see what my future holds! I will always have ties to the Syracuse area and I'm sure will be back often, especially due to the house. And I may move back at some point if working out of the East Syracuse office makes sense. I grew up right over the river from Philly in south Jersey, so my mom and stepdad are super excited that I'm coming "home." I have a ton of friends in the area and a close friend works for the same firm - he's the one that initially passed on my resume a year ago.

On to new adventures!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Congratulations! How exciting!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Nice and congratulations! There isn't anything wrong with moving on to a better situation for yourself. Will you look to live in Philly or will you look to live somewhere in South Jersey or a suburb on the PA side?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Congratulations!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Congrats!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Wanted to extend a belated congratulations. At least you still have the house here which gives you some flexibility in case your new employer will let you work out of their Syracuse office down the road or some other firm opens an office here.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nice and congratulations! There isn't anything wrong with moving on to a better situation for yourself. Will you look to live in Philly or will you look to live somewhere in South Jersey or a suburb on the PA side?
I'm looking to live in a Philly neighborhood, but not directly in downtown (my office will be in Center City). Something comparable to the walkable villages I'm used to. Right now my top picks are Manayunk and Ardmore. I have been to Ardmore several times as a close friend used to live there and it was right up my alley.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I'm looking to live in a Philly neighborhood, but not directly in downtown (my office will be in Center City). Something comparable to the walkable villages I'm used to. Right now my top picks are Manayunk and Ardmore. I have been to Ardmore several times as a close friend used to live there and it was right up my alley.
From what I hear, Ardmore is very nice and does seem to have that walkable village look.

A place I thought about, but wasn't sure about the commute was Haddonfield, NJ. I've just heard good things about it from a co-worker that grew up there. it also seems to have that walkable village look as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
From what I hear, Ardmore is very nice and does seem to have that walkable village look.

A place I thought about, but wasn't sure about the commute was Haddonfield, NJ. I've just heard good things about it from a co-worker that grew up there. it also seems to have that walkable village look as well.
Yes, Ardmore is great - lots to do, super walkable, etc. I'd prefer to stay on the PA side just because I did Jersey growing up. I have enlisted the help of all my friends down there so they're suggesting neighborhoods that fit the bill. Some of them have visited me up here, so they totally understand what I'm looking for. Should be a super easy transition I'd imagine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area