Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazzaM View Post
Thank you! This is a wealth of information! I still shed a metephorical tear when I think of those Sedgwick houses, but you have shown me that there is a lot more to Syracuse than meets the eye!
There are some true beauties in Orvilton/Dewitt though... you may have your gorgeous home, good schools, and city-proximate home yet! It's a heavily mission/arts & crafts/tudor-influenced area. The only problem for *right now* is that it's the slow season. There's not a lot of inventory so if you look, there won't be much there.

The only really nice one up right now is at the top of what you'd find: http://www.coldwellbankerprime.com/P...e/215_Manor_Dr

And, no doubt, the price is VERY high because it's a HUGE parcel for a "city" neighborhood... just shy of 2 acres! There are smaller versions of this that will likely go on the market, come spring.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 02-02-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There are some true beauties in Orvilton/Dewitt though... you may have your gorgeous home, good schools, and city-proximate home yet! It's a heavily mission/arts & crafts/tudor-influenced area. The only problem for *right now* is that it's the slow season. There's not a lot of inventory so if you look, there won't be much there.

The only really nice one up right now is at the top of what you'd find: Home for Sale - 215 Manor Dr, Syracuse, NY 13214 - MLS S299737

And, no doubt, the price is VERY high because it's a HUGE parcel for a "city" neighborhood... just shy of 2 acres! There are smaller versions of this that will likely go on the market, come spring.
I highly doubt that house'll go for that much. The lot's 95% city, guy bought a piece of vacant land behind the property to buy his way into J-D schools. It's a beautiful property, though. Just not for anywhere near what's being asked I drive by that house almost every day.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Thank you! This is a wealth of information! I still shed a metephorical tear when I think of those Sedgwick houses, but you have shown me that there is a lot more to Syracuse than meets the eye!
Like proulxfamily mentioned in regards to Orvilton/DeWittshire, you have other options that are similar within solid to very good school districts. If you were guaranteed Central Tech, Syracuse Academy of Science or private schools were serious option, then I'd say good for it. In order to give a sense of assurance though, these other options are fine.

Here are some more streetviews of the area: //www.city-data.com/forum/33165172-post98.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-02-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM

29 posts, read 71,030 times
Quote:

The only really nice one up right now is at the top of what you'd find: Home for Sale - 215 Manor Dr, Syracuse, NY 13214 - MLS S299737

Wow, that house is absolutely stunning. Like a dream. But unfortunately, it will never be close our budget. So as you mentioned, I will check again in the Spring.

I am guessing here, but is the reason the Sedgwick homes are so much more affordable because of the low rated schools? Just wondering.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Wow, that house is absolutely stunning. Like a dream. But unfortunately, it will never be close our budget. So as you mentioned, I will check again in the Spring.

I am guessing here, but is the reason the Sedgwick homes are so much more affordable because of the low rated schools? Just wondering.
Perhaps, but it may depend on the home in Sedgwick too. Some homes are newer than others.

This is another Orvilton home: Dewitt Real Estate - 107 Pelham Rd, Dewitt, NY, 13214

This home is a little bit further east in the Lyndon area: Dewitt Real Estate - 6 Ely Dr, Dewitt, NY, 13066

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-03-2014 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM

Just for viewing purposes, but here is a streetview of the Scottholm neighborhood on the East Side of Syracuse: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Scott...151.46,,0,1.66

Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
I would check out the Dewittshire neighborhood in DeWitt.

https://www.facebook.com/DeWittshireNY

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Here is the website for J-D Schools: Jamesville Dewitt School District

Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Lincoln Middle School (the Sedgewick area's MS) - the story is oddly worded but from the injuries' descriptions, it sounds like this 12 year-old girl attempted to stab but gouged the teacher instead. This teacher was acting as principal for the day, as the principal was absent.

If a middle schooler has no scruples with essentially stabbing an acting principal... a fellow new kid she perceives as being snobby? TOAST.

I'm shocked they actually reported this.

12-year-old charged in attack with pen at Lincoln Middle School : News : CNYcentral.com

Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Lincoln Middle School (the Sedgewick area's MS) - the story is oddly worded but from the injuries' descriptions, it sounds like this 12 year-old girl attempted to stab but gouged the teacher instead. This teacher was acting as principal for the day, as the principal was absent.

If a middle schooler has no scruples with essentially stabbing an acting principal... a fellow new kid she perceives as being snobby? TOAST.

I'm shocked they actually reported this.

12-year-old charged in attack with pen at Lincoln Middle School : News : CNYcentral.com
I'm not surprised at all. WSTM's studios are down James Street from the school. So, it may be a matter of having the scanner on.

I don't know if one equals the other, but it isn't good either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area