Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM

16 posts, read 30,242 times

Advertisements

Hi! It looks like I will be going back to graduate school and I am considering Syracuse. I do not drive. I am a walker and a public transit person. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods that are good for people like me who will not be driving? If I end up moving there, I anticipate a year or a year and a half at most, but I would like to be near convenient things like grocery stores, restaurants, gyms, parks, hospitals, and the Syracuse U campus. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Of course safety is also important. I haven't decided if I will take the offer or not, but I would like to know my options beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLinguist View Post
Hi! It looks like I will be going back to graduate school and I am considering Syracuse. I do not drive. I am a walker and a public transit person. Can anyone recommend some neighborhoods that are good for people like me who will not be driving? If I end up moving there, I anticipate a year or a year and a half at most, but I would like to be near convenient things like grocery stores, restaurants, gyms, parks, hospitals, and the Syracuse U campus. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Of course safety is also important. I haven't decided if I will take the offer or not, but I would like to know my options beforehand.
I'd say that the Westcott or Meadowbrook neighborhoods of Syracuse or even a place like the Maplewood apartments just inside the town of DeWitt line would be good choices for you. Depending on your budget, Downtown may also work.

Here is some information on the neighborhoods near Syracuse University, including Westcott: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm

Here is some information on Downtown and Maplewood Apartments too: Home » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

DLH Properties

and more information: Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY - Syracuse Apartment Rentals

Welcome to Centro

Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 10:58 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,398 times
Honestly, you might look into the apartments on South Campus run by SU (like Slocum Heights, which is primarily grad). It's isolated from restaurants and things, but on bus lines - and I think SU still runs a shoppers shuttle from south to grocery stores and the like.

SU provides some campus-centric shuttle and bus information here: Shuttle Information

Syracuse in general is more car-oriented, so you will likely want to stick to somewhere within range of the shuttles or bus routes mentioned on that page if you want to be truly carless. It's not ideal (especially in winter) but it is doable in any major student area.

Westcott is generally stronger for the immediate walkability and shuttle access to campus, though it has no full grocery store, just convenience marts. The nearest full grocer to campus is not really walkable - either Tops near South Campus or Price Chopper, PriceRite and Aldi further away on Erie Blvd. Wegmans can be reached by bus from campus - the Fayetteville/Dewitt store is about a 20 minute bus trip though.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Honestly, you might look into the apartments on South Campus run by SU (like Slocum Heights, which is primarily grad). It's isolated from restaurants and things, but on bus lines - and I think SU still runs a shoppers shuttle from south to grocery stores and the like.

SU provides some campus-centric shuttle and bus information here: Shuttle Information

Syracuse in general is more car-oriented, so you will likely want to stick to somewhere within range of the shuttles or bus routes mentioned on that page if you want to be truly carless. It's not ideal (especially in winter) but it is doable in any major student area.

Westcott is generally stronger for the immediate walkability and shuttle access to campus, though it has no full grocery store, just convenience marts. The nearest full grocer to campus is not really walkable - either Tops near South Campus or Price Chopper, PriceRite and Aldi further away on Erie Blvd. Wegmans can be reached by bus from campus - the Fayetteville/Dewitt store is about a 20 minute bus trip though.
Good point about South Campus apartments and perhaps University Village, Copper Beach Commons, Campus West, Park Point near campus and Creekwalk Commons in Downtown may work too. Nob Hill apartments also has a shuttle to campus.

With Creekwalk Commons, you can take the Connective Corridor shuttle to campus and possibly take a bus to the Aldi on West Genesee Street, Tops in Westvale Plaza also on West Genesee Street or Wegmans on Onondaga Boulevard. I believe that there is a new market in Armory Square, but I'm not sure how extensive it is.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

oh wow thanks for the information. I remember hearing from other forums that Westcott was a popular area with grad students. Definitely some things to consider. I will take a look at those links.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:55 PM

This may help too: Syracuse Apartments for Rent and Syracuse Rentals - Walk Score

Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM

How do you guys feel about downtown Syracuse? In terms of safety, amenities and accessibility to campus? What's it like in the winter in terms of clearing the roads? I was speaking to some current students and both of them lived on campus and paid very high monthly rents while living with several other people....that to me wouldn't be worth it, even though it's right on campus.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLinguist View Post
How do you guys feel about downtown Syracuse? In terms of safety, amenities and accessibility to campus? What's it like in the winter in terms of clearing the roads? I was speaking to some current students and both of them lived on campus and paid very high monthly rents while living with several other people....that to me wouldn't be worth it, even though it's right on campus.
Downtown should be fine and you have the Connective Corridor Bus can take you back and forth to and from campus as well. You have Armory Square and Hanover Square in Downtown with some things to do, as well as the Redhouse Theater, which has some events. You should be generally safe, but like with any city, you should take usual precautions. As for clearing the streets, it is usually done in a timely manner, but it may depend on the snowfall in terms of how fast and how much falls. I forgot to mention that Clinton Square has a bunch of festivals usually from late Spring into early Fall and Ice Skating during the winter.

Connective Corridor » Connective Corridor Bus Service

Redhouse Arts Center in Syracuse, NY exhibits a diverse selection of unique artistic experiences.

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clinton Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some more information: Landmark Theatre - Syracuse, New York

The Oncenter | Nicholas J. Pirro Convention Center | War Memorial Arena | Civic Center Theaters | Syracuse, NY

Everson Museum of Art

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Here is a great publication that has a list of events: Syracuse Newspaper - Syracuse New Times

This is a great guide that also has information on the Arts scene: Syracuse Arts Directory

Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Oh wow thank you guys! I hope they give me some $$$ because the more research I do, the more of a fit it seems like for me. Thanks for all of the insight. This is one of my favorite forums, even though I mostly browse! :-)

What do you know about University Hill vs. Westcott? Is University Hill more mostly undergrads? Thanks a lot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area