Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 817 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum, but figured, I would try and post a question that I have and see if I can get some answers or maybe someone with similar experiences. I just built a 1700 sq/ft ranch in upstate NY. I use propane for heat and hot water only. My bills are not consistent and in the month of February, it was approximately $290.00 for the month and in March, it nearly doubled at $505.00. I know its difficult to answer not knowing the conditions of the house, environment, etc, however, is this normal for a propane bill or should I contact my HVAC contractors and have them look at the furnace? The average temps in my area during February and March were about the same, within 1 degree. Also, heat is on a thermostat that does not go over 68 and drops to 65 at night. To me, $500+ is a very expensive heating bill and in my last house, I was on natural gas and usually stayed right around $300 for winter time heat and ELECTRIC, combined. Is this normal for propane heating costs or does this not sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS315 View Post
I am new to this forum, but figured, I would try and post a question that I have and see if I can get some answers or maybe someone with similar experiences. I just built a 1700 sq/ft ranch in upstate NY. I use propane for heat and hot water only. My bills are not consistent and in the month of February, it was approximately $290.00 for the month and in March, it nearly doubled at $505.00. I know its difficult to answer not knowing the conditions of the house, environment, etc, however, is this normal for a propane bill or should I contact my HVAC contractors and have them look at the furnace? The average temps in my area during February and March were about the same, within 1 degree. Also, heat is on a thermostat that does not go over 68 and drops to 65 at night. To me, $500+ is a very expensive heating bill and in my last house, I was on natural gas and usually stayed right around $300 for winter time heat and ELECTRIC, combined. Is this normal for propane heating costs or does this not sound right?
This may explain it: Schumer wants investigation into skyrocketing electric bills : News : CNYcentral.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area