Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. Where are you from originally and what Syracuse neighborhoods feel somewhat like home to you? I'm from Queens (Astoria) and have lived in Jackson Heights, Woodside, and East Harlem. I loved living in East Harlem (close to Central Park, shopping, great restaurants, diverse, walkable). Now that I'm moving to Syracuse for grad school, I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM

201 posts, read 298,547 times
I, too, am a recent transplant from NYC. I lived in NYC in the following neighborhoods (in the following order): UES, Astoria, LES (alphabet city), UES, Greenpoint. The only area that really compares to NYC for walkable entertainment/amenities is Armory Square. Other walkable areas in Syracuse Proper include the Westcott area near SU and Eastwood (though neither of them are nearly as vibrant as Armory Square). I also found the villages of Liverpool and Baldwinsville (outside of Syracuse proper) have some nice walkable areas with nice amenities. Like I said, I am a recent transplant, so other people on this forum may trump what I am posting here, but you're not likely to find anything that's really like NYC, though Armory Square is as close as you'll get, and it is really a great little area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsera66 View Post
I'm curious. Where are you from originally and what Syracuse neighborhoods feel somewhat like home to you? I'm from Queens (Astoria) and have lived in Jackson Heights, Woodside, and East Harlem. I loved living in East Harlem (close to Central Park, shopping, great restaurants, diverse, walkable). Now that I'm moving to Syracuse for grad school, I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
I, too, am a recent transplant from NYC. I lived in NYC in the following neighborhoods (in the following order): UES, Astoria, LES (alphabet city), UES, Greenpoint. The only area that really compares to NYC for walkable entertainment/amenities is Armory Square. Other walkable areas in Syracuse Proper include the Westcott area near SU and Eastwood (though neither of them are nearly as vibrant as Armory Square). I also found the villages of Liverpool and Baldwinsville (outside of Syracuse proper) have some nice walkable areas with nice amenities. Like I said, I am a recent transplant, so other people on this forum may trump what I am posting here, but you're not likely to find anything that's really like NYC, though Armory Square is as close as you'll get, and it is really a great little area.
That sounds about right. Maybe Hanover Square, Little Italy/North Salina near Downtown or Tipperary Hill too. Fayetteville, Manlius, Skaneateles and Cazenovia are some other walkable villages with some amenities.

IMO, if any bigger Northeastern city Syracuse reminds me of, it's Philadelphia. Just flip the sides of town in terms of North Philly/Syracuse's South Side, South Philly/Syracuse's North Side, etc. I'm thinking in terms of the makeup of the people and the reputation, but there are some differences in terms of the degree of some things too.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That sounds about right. Maybe Hanover Square, Little Italy/North Salina near Downtown or Tipperary Hill too. Fayetteville, Manlius, Skaneateles and Cazenovia are some other walkable villages with some amenities.

IMO, if any bigger Northeastern city Syracuse reminds me of, it's Philadelphia. Just flip the sides of town in terms of North Philly/Syracuse's South Side, South Philly/Syracuse's North Side, etc. I'm thinking in terms of the makeup of the people and the reputation, but there are some differences in terms of the degree of some things too.
Not to take this on a tangent but there really isn't much here in Philly that reminds me of Syracuse... at all. I feel like I am a complete world away. (But that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are some similarities here and there). Your comparisons are a bit off. South Philly is a notoriously bad area, West Philly too (that I would say compare more to Syracuse's south side). North Philly is mainly pockets here and there... there are a bunch of up and coming areas - Fairmount/Art Museum is very nice, Fishtown, and Northern Liberties. The big "bad spot" in north Philly is Kensington, which I found out real quick, lol. The further north and east you go in Philly (I drove up there for a good half hour and I was STILL in Philly), it gets more sprawled.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Not to take this on a tangent but there really isn't much here in Philly that reminds me of Syracuse... at all. I feel like I am a complete world away. (But that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are some similarities here and there). Your comparisons are a bit off. South Philly is a notoriously bad area, West Philly too (that I would say compare more to Syracuse's south side). North Philly is mainly pockets here and there... there are a bunch of up and coming areas - Fairmount/Art Museum is very nice, Fishtown, and Northern Liberties. The big "bad spot" in north Philly is Kensington, which I found out real quick, lol. The further north and east you go in Philly (I drove up there for a good half hour and I was STILL in Philly), it gets more sprawled.
I knew that parts of South and West Philly can be bad, it sounds like those two are getting worse rep and North is improving a bit. Good point about Northeast Philly, as I've taken Route 1 from Langhorne into Philly and it did seem like it went on forever.

To get back on track(sorry OP), the closest thing to that East Harlem feel in terms of the properties mentioned is the University/Westcott area. You have Thornden and Barry Parks in that area, along with the Westcott Business District, a diverse array of people(ethnically/racially/economically) and there is somewhat of a quirky vibe as well. Here's some information: UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Greater University Hill*

Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,461 times
Thanks for the info, everyone! This gives me some ideas. I'll be in the area in a couple of weeks, so I'll make sure to explore these areas.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM

Franklin Square may be another city neighborhood to look into as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Franklin Square may be another city neighborhood to look into as well.
Just to add to this, Franklin Square's location can allow for quick access to shopping and entertainment at DestinyUSA or to Downtown restaurants, festivals, etc. Little Italy, which has some restaurants and ethnic markets isn't too far away either.

Tipperary Hill has pubs with a few restaurants, Burnet Park inc. Rosamond Gifford Zoo. Westvale Plaza nearby in the village of Solvay has a grocery store, some restaurants(Chinese, Polish, etc), a gym and a few other stores. Further west is Fairmount, a suburb with plenty of shopping. To the east is Downtown going down West Genesee Street.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-06-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area