Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Are there any neighborhoods we should check out in the city proper? Or are the schools/safety an issue? We don't necessarily need a Victorian, that's just my wife's dream house. I don't want to write anything off unless it just won't work at all (safety obviously being huge).
If you did go city proper, I'd say the East Side neighborhoods south of East Genesee Street and east of Westcott would be the best bet. Nice area and I know that some people affiliated with Syracuse University send their children to Ed Smith K-8 and to Nottingham High. You do have the Syracuse Academy of Science charter system and a magnet HS in the Institute of Technology at Central High that is decent, but they aren't automatic. There are some other nice areas of the city, but as mentioned, schools would/could be an issue. Here is a Victorian in that area: CNYHomes - 540 Allen St Syracuse 13210

With this said, it appears that you can find the home your wife wants in different communities in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I know we've discussed this exact issue before but WOW on the water. We just got our water bill and it was higher than I expected... but then I noticed it was for 110 days instead of 90, for whatever reason. $62 instead of the usual $40-45ish. We also have three kids (7, 8, and 9) but, of course, no one is at the preening stage yet. There have been a lot more laundry and dishes lately though - I've gotten the kids to start washing up after each meal and I'm so glad they're doing it that I haven't been a stickler about them letting the water run - so I was prepared for it to be a bit higher... and counting in the extra 20 days, it's about right.

But still, we're so close in distance. You're paying $3.33/day and I'm paying $.56/day. It doesn't seem right.
I don't pay that much personally. It's metered water. For my wife and I it's about 150 every three months.

But back when our girls were teenagers?? Water bill ran with the heat bill back then.

We should tell the OP we are on different water systems.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I know we've discussed this exact issue before but WOW on the water. We just got our water bill and it was higher than I expected... but then I noticed it was for 110 days instead of 90, for whatever reason. $62 instead of the usual $40-45ish. We also have three kids (7, 8, and 9) but, of course, no one is at the preening stage yet. There have been a lot more laundry and dishes lately though - I've gotten the kids to start washing up after each meal and I'm so glad they're doing it that I haven't been a stickler about them letting the water run - so I was prepared for it to be a bit higher... and counting in the extra 20 days, it's about right.

But still, we're so close in distance. You're paying $3.33/day and I'm paying $.56/day. It doesn't seem right.

eta: OP- don't live in Oneida County.
I gotta reply to your edit.

How much does water cost in Oneida County?? I don't have the slightest idea myself.

I live in Madison county.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I gotta reply to your edit.

How much does water cost in Oneida County?? I don't have the slightest idea myself.

I live in Madison county.
Then don't live in Madison County, if the water is controlled by it. I cannot understand how such far-away places can all be in the same county when they're hardly related to each other. Anyhow, don't live where the water costs THAT much. It's crazy.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM

331 posts, read 639,485 times
Hmm, the water issue sounds weird. Why on earth is it so high? I think 45 minutes+ is really on the bubble, but we'll check out Oneida all the same. Sounds like most of the city is out, but I'll look into Nottingham HS. I really don't want to send them to private school. I think I'd rather move from an area before doing that! My wife grew up in the town proper of Tunkhannock, so she is definitely most interested in towns similar to that (also like Corning for reference) and it looks like a lot of the villages mentioned fit her best. I'm more flexible, but I don't want to put her somewhere she won't be happy.

We've been digging around on Zillow and she already has a ton of things she wants to check out as far as driving by. I just want to thank you guys again for being so helpful. Also Sean for being really honest about his town with the car break-ins and high water bills. Those are the things I think most people won't mention, but are important to know.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Hmm, the water issue sounds weird. Why on earth is it so high? I think 45 minutes+ is really on the bubble, but we'll check out Oneida all the same. Sounds like most of the city is out, but I'll look into Nottingham HS. I really don't want to send them to private school. I think I'd rather move from an area before doing that! My wife grew up in the town proper of Tunkhannock, so she is definitely most interested in towns similar to that (also like Corning for reference) and it looks like a lot of the villages mentioned fit her best. I'm more flexible, but I don't want to put her somewhere she won't be happy.

We've been digging around on Zillow and she already has a ton of things she wants to check out as far as driving by. I just want to thank you guys again for being so helpful. Also Sean for being really honest about his town with the car break-ins and high water bills. Those are the things I think most people won't mention, but are important to know.
It may be a matter of degree as well.

If something like Tunkhannock is what you are looking for, then the villages would be the way to go. Given the income, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Fayetteville and Manlius will be more high end.

You might like this too: Approved, Candidate, Disqualified and Shame List, best small towns - New York

RECOMMENDED BEST SMALL TOWN OF Skaneateles, New York

RECOMMENDED BEST SMALL TOWN OF Cazenovia, New York

RECOMMENDED BEST SMALL TOWN OF Hamilton, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-20-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Then don't live in Madison County, if the water is controlled by it. I cannot understand how such far-away places can all be in the same county when they're hardly related to each other. Anyhow, don't live where the water costs THAT much. It's crazy.
Such far away places as what?? You lost me.

But what you seem to be saying is that if my wife and I, who walk to work during the Summer or face a grueling total of 5.6 miles combined on two cars drive, if we move to Fayetteville we can get cheap water??

That would be about 200 dollars a week in gas. Times 13 weeks in a quater.

So by spending 2600 dollars on gas we could save 50-60 bucks on our water bill??

And you say we could do this every quarter?? So putting the net lose of 10 thousand dollars a year behind us for the moment we could save 200$ a year, maybe 300$??

Wow I wish I knew about this site before.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Such far away places as what?? You lost me.

But what you seem to be saying is that if my wife and I, who walk to work during the Summer or face a grueling total of 5.6 miles combined on two cars drive, if we move to Fayetteville we can get cheap water??

That would be about 200 dollars a week in gas. Times 13 weeks in a quater.

So by spending 2600 dollars on gas we could save 50-60 bucks on our water bill??

And you say we could do this every quarter?? So putting the net lose of 10 thousand dollars a year behind us for the moment we could save 200$ a year, maybe 300$??

Wow I wish I knew about this site before.
No - not you. I couldn't care less what you spend on water, for your own sake I'd just forgotten how much you actually spend. And of course it wouldn't make sense for you to work far from your home. That wouldn't make sense for many reasons.

I mean for the OP. Don't move to where there's expensive water, like Oneida. Why would he? I'm not sure why you suggested your area at all, except maybe for the idea that misery loves company. All you've ever done is complain about where you live, if not all of NY State.

And by far away I mean the thought of knowing that Caz through Hamilton is Madison County but not really considering that it goes up to Oneida Lake too. In my mind, the area south of Oneida Lake would be shared by Onondaga and Oneida County, not Madison.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-20-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM

In this area Oneida is as good a place as any. And it's full of the types of homes he's after.

He could easily save enough on taxes to make up for the water. I gave him an idea what total cost might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area