Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times

Advertisements

Lodi and James isn't a terrible area. I lived there for 1.5 years (well up the street at Chestnut Crossing).

Have you checked out Chestnut Crossing? They weren't bad at all for what I paid (may be more expensive now). Right on a bus line, too. The winter storm busline - so there was always a bus there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Lodi and James isn't a terrible area. I lived there for 1.5 years (well up the street at Chestnut Crossing).

Have you checked out Chestnut Crossing? They weren't bad at all for what I paid (may be more expensive now). Right on a bus line, too. The winter storm busline - so there was always a bus there.
I agree and I believe that some students have lived there and some of the other apartments nearby. It also may be good for the OP in terms of shopping, as the Wegmans in East Syracuse is a straight shot bus ride down James. I think that route may go through East Syracuse to the Wal*Mart out there as well. I wonder if it goes by the Aldi across Bridge Street/290 too?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM

20 posts, read 22,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

Thanks for the input. It's just that reading some reviews for the various places I've looked at has made it seem that some areas on Lodi St. and James St. aren't the best. I'm pretty good about being aware of my surroundings, but as a single female I want to make sure I'm in a relatively safe area. I can't remember if I looked up Chestnut Crossing before, but I will check it out either way.

Anyone heard of Hillside Apartments @ 1530 E Genesee St.? Since my program building is on E Genesee St. and the rent isn't too high, I feel like it may have promise.

Speaking of E Genesee St., are there any buses that travel right along it without making any detours to other streets?

The Hawley-Green District apartment building I had mentioned before is at 436 Lodi St.

And, what about Remington/Thurber?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:22 AM

You may be fine at the East Genesee and Lodi locations, but it will be a matter of comfort. Thurber/Remington has a lot of students in apartments in that area. You can take the Nob Hill bus/shuttle that goes by that area.

Yes, there is a bus that goes down East Genesee and you may be able to catch the Connective Corridor bus as well. There are other apartments on East Genesee not far from the Genesee Grande hotel, but I'm not sure about the quality of the buildings.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 AM

Wish me luck! I'm finally headed to check out apartments in Syracuse later today. I'm still worried that I won't make the right decision and will regret where I live for the next 12 months. I hope that's not the case though since I try to be thorough with most things, and this is definitely not the exception.

Even before I go, I think it'll be down to Skyline Apartments and an apartment (in a remodeled house) on Walnut Street.

The only thing is, for the life of me, I still can't figure out what bus route to take, regardless of where I live, to get me to Peck Hall. It seems all the routes go around it, and stop in areas around it, but not actually by it. Oh well, I guess I'll survive as long as I have a roof over my head.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz_sunshin3 View Post
Wish me luck! I'm finally headed to check out apartments in Syracuse later today. I'm still worried that I won't make the right decision and will regret where I live for the next 12 months. I hope that's not the case though since I try to be thorough with most things, and this is definitely not the exception.

Even before I go, I think it'll be down to Skyline Apartments and an apartment (in a remodeled house) on Walnut Street.

The only thing is, for the life of me, I still can't figure out what bus route to take, regardless of where I live, to get me to Peck Hall. It seems all the routes go around it, and stop in areas around it, but not actually by it. Oh well, I guess I'll survive as long as I have a roof over my head.
Peck Hall is in between East Genesee Street and East Fayette Street. So, I'd say that any route that goes down East Genesee could work and I would still take the Connective Corridor bus, which goes down East Washington Street a block away from Peck Hall.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM

So, I visited and saw some apartments.

I think I'm actually going to go with Vincent Apartments, but it depends on if they're going to have the apartment ready by the time I need it.

The price, the included utilities, and the the fact that it's in the SU free bus zone kind of made the decision for me. But silly me just went and read some more negative reviews and am second guessing my decision.

I liked Skyline apartments just fine, but if it was in the free bus zone or had a free shuttle to campus, I'd feel better.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
So, I visited and saw some apartments.

I think I'm actually going to go with Vincent Apartments, but it depends on if they're going to have the apartment ready by the time I need it.

The price, the included utilities, and the the fact that it's in the SU free bus zone kind of made the decision for me. But silly me just went and read some more negative reviews and am second guessing my decision.

I liked Skyline apartments just fine, but if it was in the free bus zone or had a free shuttle to campus, I'd feel better.
Did you look at other apartments within the free bus zone?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Did you look at other apartments within the free bus zone?
I did check out Clarendon Heights and Nob Hill, but they both don't have availability for when I would need to move.

I also checked out an apartment closer to campus, but for the price it wasn't really worth it. Both my dad and my sister didn't much like it.

I can't go visit again before I move, so I either have to choose one of the places I saw, or pick an apartment, sight unseen, which doesn't appeal to me.

I'm hoping I get the Vincent Apartment, to have something. Then I'll have to just keep it as clean as possible (there was one review about roaches), take my time with things so nothing breaks (another review about slow maintenance) and be cautious ( a review about robberies).

ARGH! Sometimes I wish I had enough money just to go to Campus West or something. :S

Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I did check out Clarendon Heights and Nob Hill, but they both don't have availability for when I would need to move.

I also checked out an apartment closer to campus, but for the price it wasn't really worth it. Both my dad and my sister didn't much like it.

I can't go visit again before I move, so I either have to choose one of the places I saw, or pick an apartment, sight unseen, which doesn't appeal to me.

I'm hoping I get the Vincent Apartment, to have something. Then I'll have to just keep it as clean as possible (there was one review about roaches), take my time with things so nothing breaks (another review about slow maintenance) and be cautious ( a review about robberies).

ARGH! Sometimes I wish I had enough money just to go to Campus West or something. :S
What about this complex near Nob Hill?: OrangeHousing Apartment Complexes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area