Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,512,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWR View Post
For rental - I'm looking for something that is month to month, so that limits me right there.
Then I want a decent kitchen where I don't have to stack stuff on top of each other to make a meal - so more limiting.
Beyond that, I'm looking for a safe area to be out walking with my dogs on my own.
I'll be working in Syracuse and E Syracuse, but mostly E Syracuse. I'd like to be 30 mins or less from work, but for a great rental, I'll drive further.
ANY info ckhthankgod gives you is info you can take to the bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,811,118 times
I love all the qualifiers. You can live on the westside, but only between these streets. The Eastside is perfectly fine, but only these neighborhoods, and only between these streets. Yet, I mentioned this a few weeks ago and got put through the ringer. Its even gotten to the point where ckh has to ask posters if they're serious.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM

92,802 posts, read 123,157,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I love all the qualifiers. You can live on the westside, but only between these streets. The Eastside is perfectly fine, but only these neighborhoods, and only between these streets. Yet, I mentioned this a few weeks ago and got put through the ringer. Its even gotten to the point where ckh has to ask posters if they're serious.
That wasn't said at all. I'll leave it at that.

OP, the map along with the link showing housing stability should give you a general idea about what you are looking.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
There are some bad parts - I can agree with you there. But not the entire city.

Anything within city limits west of I81 and north of 173 - definitely avoid.

The area along East Genesee to Erie Blvd East near Time Warner, etc - avoid.

Northside has a little crime near Lodi / Salina but isn't terribly bad (I think the diversity scares people away).

Comstock Neighborhood / Westcott / University isn't too bad as long as you avoid the partying college kids.

Eastwood is very nice.

Tipp Hill isn't bad as long as you distance yourself from the south side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Strathmore and Winkworth in the SW corner are both very nice neighborhoods that are west of 81 and north of 173. Some of the neighborhoods north of 173 that are west of Valley Drive and east of South Salina up to about Ballantyne are fine/alright too. While very working class/blue collar, the West End is OK/alright too(north of West Genesee and west of Erie Boulevard West/West Fayette). Franklin Square is also west of 81. Elmwood around Elmwood Park/south of Glenwood is alright and is nicer the further up the hill you go(Mitchell, Lynch, etc).
Quote:

OP, the map along with the link showing housing stability should give you a general idea about what you are looking.
Yep. What on Earth was I talking about?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Here are the websites again: http://syracuselandbank.org/wp-conte...ghborhoods.pdf

Housing and Trees Planted-to-date in Syracuse, New York | Syracuse Community Geography

Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 PM

You already posted this.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,194 times
Syracuse isn't that bad. However, I'd avoid the south and north sides (there are gangs there). If you wish to live in the suburbs, East Syracuse and Clay/Liverpool areas are okay, but most of the apartment complexes there contain people from gangs and don't be surprised if you see an occasional fight (I used to live there). But Clay is just fine. Cazenovia is in my opinion the best village in metro Syracuse, but it's a bit far and expensive to live there. Solvay and Geddes are I think the closest to Syracuse.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzzi View Post
Syracuse isn't that bad. However, I'd avoid the south and north sides (there are gangs there). If you wish to live in the suburbs, East Syracuse and Clay/Liverpool areas are okay, but most of the apartment complexes there contain people from gangs and don't be surprised if you see an occasional fight (I used to live there). But Clay is just fine. Cazenovia is in my opinion the best village in metro Syracuse, but it's a bit far and expensive to live there. Solvay and Geddes are I think the closest to Syracuse.
Outer neighborhoods on the North Side(even some on South Side-ie South Valley, Strathmire/Winkworth) are fine. I wouldn't say that most of the complexes in the Liverpool area contain gangs. Some in the Candlelight Lane area are shaky and maybe a couple others. East Syracuse doesn't have any complexes in the village and Franklin Park Apartments is the only complex really in that area. I believe that the village of East Syracuse has a curfew, as does the village of Solvay. Both are adjacent to Syracuse and have a blue collar feel due to the industries they were built around. Geddes is a town, by the way, which Solvay is in. Skaneateles is similar to Cazenovia, but is a little bit more affluent.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

865 posts, read 2,155,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzzi View Post
I worked on the north side for a year or so as we had a lot of clients on North Salina, Kirkpatrick, Willow and Lodi. There is a lot of diversity and a lot of people who don't speak English, but I don't think it's that bad. The worst part of the north side is nowhere near as bad the worst part of the south side; I wouldn't hesitate to drive up Lodi and Butternut at midnight. I would, however, be afraid to drive up certain South Side roads late at night.

I like Solvay. It's a nice little community. And not at the stranglehold of National Greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area