Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

I know relocation threads are beating a dead horse but here it goes anyway!

Stealing this from a previous poster because it's a good starting point!

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn but originally from Houston, Tx
Why are you moving? We miss suburbia and low housing costs
Where will you be working ? husband will be working from home so no limits on where we can move to.

Will you buy or rent? buying is the goal. Possibly rent for a year first
What is your budget ? buying, under 250k
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3+ bedroom, 2 bath, yard, at least semi walkable neighborhood, we usually prefer newer homes but I'm open to an older house

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? husband and our daughter who will be almost 5 by the time we get around to actually moving.
Do you need/want good public schools? yes! this is our biggest deciding factor

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
families with younger children, close knit community, at least some walkability, nearby shops and restaurants (within quick-ish driving distance at least), non-judgemental would be nice as well as we are liberal minded atheists

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Good schools
Family-oriented
Walkable/'charming'

We're looking to move within the next year or two and are not personally familiar with the area at all. We're planning to visit there soon so I wanted to get more insight on the villages we wanted to look into. I'm currently stuck on Manlius, Baldwinsville, and Skaneateales.
I've enjoyed the walkabilty that living in Brooklyn has provided, but I also miss driving so I'd enjoy a nice mixture of the two. I'd ideally like a close knit community feel, some charm to the neighborhood, community events for halloween/4th of july/etc, a good school district is our number 1 factor.
And for the record yes, we love snow (for now anyway!)

So pros/cons of those three villages? Any villages I'm neglecting? Any tips on acclimating and meeting people once we're there? Good real estate sites I should be looking at besides cnyrealtor.com?
Also any input on the different school districts would be very appreciated as I've read a few things about FM schools being snobby.

Sorry if this is kind of scattered but I've been researching like mad and the options are overwhelming to say the least! I just really want to be out of Brooklyn before the little one starts kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'd add Fayetteville, Liverpool and Cazenovia. A sleeper may be the DeWittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt(Jameville-DeWitt Schools). Marcellus may be another community to consider. If you don't mind being a bit further out, Weedsport, Tully and Chittenango have good schools and walkable villages.

These websites may help: Property Search - Syracuse / Central / Auburn

Syracuse Real Estate, Syracuse and Central New York Homes - CNYHomes.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-23-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM

201 posts, read 298,515 times
I would say that you would enjoy any of the villages mentioned above, though you won't likely find a newer home in any of them (at least not in the walkable areas). Here is a link to a thread from a poster looking for something similar: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...e-insight.html

I, too, moved from Brooklyn and was looking for similar things. We ended up in Baldwinsville, and I'll just refer to my comment in the above thread for the pros. Given that distance to Syracuse is not an issue, I think Skaneateles would be awesome for you. It was my favorite when we were looking but too far from work for me, and also house prices are much more expensive there. Cazenovia would be great too, and its a great village. You would be able to find something in your budget there, but it's a bit out there -- if you want to be close to "big-box" stores, its a bit of a trek from there.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM

This is a list of homes that are from 1990 or newer that are within villages and that are within the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

A village I thought about that doesn't get much mention at all on here, but has some newer homes is Minoa. I have heard that taxes can be pretty high and there isn't too much within the village outside of a new library, a post office, an elementary school, along with a few stores. Due to its railroad history, parts of the village can look gritty, but it is a very safe community. It does have a nice park, annual Field Days during the summer and a 4th of July parade. East Syracuse-Minoa schools are solid, with a range of educational programs. You would have to drive to shopping in Fayetteville or DeWitt, but it isn't a long drive.

Here is a list for homes from 1980-1990: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Here's a list of homes in the villages mentioned within the budget limit: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Here is a streetview of businesses in the Orvilton/DeWittshire area of DeWitt:
http://goo.gl/maps/Kn0D3

Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Another village that may work, but is about 25-30 south of Syracuse is Homer. Here is a list of homes within your budget: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

It is also about the same distance from Ithaca as well. Cortland has some big box shopping nearby.

Another area that is more rural, that has a couple of villages, alright schools and is close to big box shopping in Auburn and Camillus is the Jordan-Elbridge area. It may be an area to keep an eye on as Township 5 gets built and Tessy Plastics expands.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-25-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM

As for rentals, these websites may help: Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY - Syracuse Apartment Rentals

Syracuse Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Not Homer, not Tully. Just no.

Suburbia to me is Clay, DeWitt, Cicero, isn't it?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Not Homer, not Tully. Just no.

Suburbia to me is Clay, DeWitt, Cicero, isn't it?
Those last three lack the walkability and charm that the OP is looking for except for maybe the aforementioned Orvilton/DeWittshire area of DeWitt. Those two are villages within a close/close enough drive of the things mentioned and are just options to throw out there. Both have good schools as well.

Good schools, family oriented and walkable/charming were the most important criteria.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is a list of homes that are from 1990 or newer that are within villages and that are within the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

A village I thought about that doesn't get much mention at all on here, but has some newer homes is Minoa. I have heard that taxes can be pretty high and there isn't too much within the village outside of a new library, a post office, an elementary school, along with a few stores. Due to its railroad history, parts of the village can look gritty, but it is a very safe community. It does have a nice park, annual Field Days during the summer and a 4th of July parade. East Syracuse-Minoa schools are solid, with a range of educational programs. You would have to drive to shopping in Fayetteville or DeWitt, but it isn't a long drive.

Here is a list for homes from 1980-1990: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
Info on Minoa: Village of Minoa New York

Considering what was mentioned in the criteria, some things mentioned in this list may be of interest to you: Village of Minoa New York It appears that the parade was on Memorial Day, not the 4th of July.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-26-2014 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area