Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 03:32 PM

23 posts, read 49,700 times

Advertisements

I wonder to all syracuse residents with special needs children, if you had the opportunity to move anywhere in the U.S., where do you think would be the best in terms of special needs support, of course taking into consideration good oppurtunities to work. Although I don't plan on leaving New York anytime soon, I think maybe after 10 years or so I will probably look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPlum View Post
I wonder to all syracuse residents with special needs children, if you had the opportunity to move anywhere in the U.S., where do you think would be the best in terms of special needs support, of course taking into consideration good oppurtunities to work. Although I don't plan on leaving New York anytime soon, I think maybe after 10 years or so I will probably look elsewhere.
I've heard some good things about schools in/around Chapel Hill and Carrboro in NC, but I don't know if I would move there. It isn't anything against the area, but it just doesn't cross my mind.

I would also ask in the General US forum.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-11-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard some good things about schools in/around Chapel Hill and Carrboro in NC, but I don't know if I would move there. It isn't anything against the area, but it just doesn't cross my mind.

I would also ask in the General US forum.
I have checked out the general forums for some time now, I just thought I would ask here as this Syracuse based forum seems very informative, enthusiastic if I dare say. Actually the places that seem to shine as far as special needs states tend to be in cold places, (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Syracuse, some others I probably forgot) states such as Oregon, Maine, and New Hampshire also comes to mind too. The last three states seem really pretty, I am just concerned about the lack of diversity in terms of race, I still would like to visit though. I have actually read conflicting things about North Carolina, not specifically the areas you mentioned, just that the state in general is backwards in general when it comes to special needs. If I bring up other states in a post does it automatically get pushed to the General Forums, hope not?

Old 10-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I have checked out the general forums for some time now, I just thought I would ask here as this Syracuse based forum seems very informative, enthusiastic if I dare say. Actually the places that seem to shine as far as special needs states tend to be in cold places, (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Syracuse, some others I probably forgot) states such as Oregon, Maine, and New Hampshire also comes to mind too. The last three states seem really pretty, I am just concerned about the lack of diversity in terms of race, I still would like to visit though. I have actually read conflicting things about North Carolina, not specifically the areas you mentioned, just that the state in general is backwards in general when it comes to special needs. If I bring up other states in a post does it automatically get pushed to the General Forums, hope not?
I don't think so in terms of getting moved. It does seem like the best states for special needs are in the Northeast and Midwest. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Ohio may be pretty good, but don't quote me on that.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
As I've explained in other threads, the Village of Manlius offers very affordable housing (not "Fayetteville $$$")... but it's not listed on realtor sites. When the time comes, let me know and I'll tell you where they are. I have no idea WHY but the many houses that go up for sale are rarely listed here. They're in high demand and go quickly without realtors needing to pay for them to go on the MLS. Or whatever reason. I'd say they're between $60K and $145K, with taxes between $2100 and $5000, depending on how vigilant the previous owners have been. I can help with that too... I'd be HAPPY to; this is a superb location.
Thanks,and yes I will take you up on that offer when the time comes. I think the more posts I read about Syracuse the more I learn, but the things that are not so clear to me, such as:

1. What exactly defines a village (Liverpool, Manlius) in Syracuse vs. say a county like Onondoga county, as there are few (extra taxes, fees, benefits...)

2. Is Oswego considered a part of Syracuse, or just close by?

3. The prices for houses in Manlius are more than reasonable, as we do not want to rent more than 2 years, 3 the max when we move. So basically you're saying we need to drive around and look at for sale window signs, like back in the days?

4.Most kids in downstate NY walk to school, take the city bus or trains. How do the majority of kids transport to school?

5. Does anyone have experience dealing with Syracuse in getting approved for Medicaid waiver for special needs child. Currently my son is eligible for OPWDD Services, but he may not get approved for MEDICAID WAIVER SERVICES because of IQ scores, in other words do you find the OPWDD community based services are adequate for special needs. FYI, OPWDD has nothing to do with school based services, this is community based assistance, with it's own set of evaluations that need to be done.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM

A village is another form of a municipality that has its own government and it essentially has a smaller footprint in terms of an urban fabric. It is also under the jurisdiction of the town/towns it is in.

Oswego is in the Syracuse metro area and is about 40-50 from Syracuse.

You can drive around, but there are also websites with homes for sale as well.

This will depend on the district and perhaps the proximity in which the child lives in relation to the school they attend. In the suburbs and for many children that attend public city schools, a school bus is provided.

Not completely sure about the services, but I would check with the county in terms of the information you need to provide and if there are any other evaluations needed. There may be a degree as to how much aid you would get, but don't quote me on that.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM

357 posts, read 968,412 times
Quote:
4.Most kids in downstate NY walk to school, take the city bus or trains. How do the majority of kids transport to school?

5. Does anyone have experience dealing with Syracuse in getting approved for Medicaid waiver for special needs child. Currently my son is eligible for OPWDD Services, but he may not get approved for MEDICAID WAIVER SERVICES because of IQ scores, in other words do you find the OPWDD community based services are adequate for special needs. FYI, OPWDD has nothing to do with school based services, this is community based assistance, with it's own set of evaluations that need to be done.

Thanks
4. In the city, kids walk to school depending on how close they are or they ride a school bus. High school students take public buses. In the burbs I believe almost everyone takes a school bus. If you choose private the school district you live in must bus your child via school bus.

5. Medicaid Waiver services up here are not always dependent on IQ, you can also be approved based on diagnoses. If you end up moving here, send me a private message and I can provide you with the names and numbers of some excellent Medicaid service coordinators who can help you through the process of applying and then help you get the services once you have it. Although, just so you are aware I know that all of NYS is slowly changing everything in the Medicaid system including waivers so I'm not sure how that will impact families in the future.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
4. In the city, kids walk to school depending on how close they are or they ride a school bus. High school students take public buses. In the burbs I believe almost everyone takes a school bus. If you choose private the school district you live in must bus your child via school bus.

5. Medicaid Waiver services up here are not always dependent on IQ, you can also be approved based on diagnoses. If you end up moving here, send me a private message and I can provide you with the names and numbers of some excellent Medicaid service coordinators who can help you through the process of applying and then help you get the services once you have it. Although, just so you are aware I know that all of NYS is slowly changing everything in the Medicaid system including waivers so I'm not sure how that will impact families in the future.
When you say that NYS is changing Medicaid wavers, what do you mean? Are they making it more easy for people to get them?

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM

357 posts, read 968,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
When you say that NYS is changing Medicaid wavers, what do you mean? Are they making it more easy for people to get them?
Not easier, it's hard to say right now but it will either be harder or about the same. Basically the structure of the entire Medicaid system has been changing for the last several years and the last thing that needs to change are the Waivers. They waited last to change the Waivers because it is only for kids and they know that a lot of families are going to be upset with the changes.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
A village is a government subset...

We live in the Village of Manlius, which is in the Town of Manlius, which is in Onondaga County, which is in New York State, etc.

The City of Syracuse is in Onondaga County. Outside the City itself, the rest of Onondaga County is divided up into Towns. Some Towns have Villages in them but not all do. This map shows the county, towns (white) they're divided into, and the villages (yellow,) if any, within them. Villages have a separate property tax, on top of the county/town tax and school tax you'd have if you didn't live in a village. I don't mind paying the extra taxes as our assessment is low and we have an enormous number of walkable activities and facilities to use in the village, which are free for residents. And garbage collection is included. One of the perks, when I was growing up in the Village of East Syracuse, was free access to Hanlon Pool. Free swimming lessons, year round, and very reduced rates for summer programs and field trips. The City of Syracuse has something similar but on a larger scale.

Onondaga County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The purple rectangle, marked "Onondaga" is the Indian Reservation.)

Last edited by proulxfamily; 10-16-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area