Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 12,199 times

Advertisements

What are some good catholic areas of upstate New York? I would like to move somewhere up there one day I heard Rochester is pretty bad? Thanks for replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Everywhere.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 AM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Everywhere.
Pretty much....While some schools and churches have closed, there are still quite a few Catholic Churches and schools in Upstate NY.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
As a professional organist, when I saw this thread, I felt like I had to put my two cents in. The Syracuse Catholic Diocese is sadly in disarray. I can tell you exactly why the Syracuse Diocese died - many years ago it stopped teaching the Catholic faith, and it is replete with liturgical abuses. It is especially illiterate when it comes to church music. If a parish uses its organ, it is played at a whisper. There is an encyclical titled, I believe, Musica Sacara, written around 1950 or so that deals with church music. Nowhere in that document does it even remotely suggest playing the organ at a level in which it cannot be heard. Every time I have substituted on the organ at a Diocesean church, I have gotten shouted down at and dismissed as a heretic for playing the Mass as it OUGHT to be played. If you get a homily during the mass, consider yourself extremely lucky. Unfortunately, the priest either starts on a completely different tangent from the Gospel lesson, or if he starts on subject, he quickly goes off subject. In general, people come out of the usual Mass here feeling depressed because the Masses here have become dry, boring, and dummed down. This is why I have become Episcopal again. Every Episcopal church I've visited here in Syracuse has been a wonderful worship experience, and I come away lifted up instead of being let down. Is there any Catholic church in the area that wants a true professional for a music director? I can guarantee I can grow any parish I'm assigned to that wants an authentic Catholic worship experience with good organ music.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster13206 View Post
I can tell you exactly why the Syracuse Diocese died - many years ago it stopped teaching the Catholic faith, and it is replete with liturgical abuses.
Or maybe it had to do with a different type of abuse. Database of Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse

18 priest accused of abuse in Syracuse alone. http://bishop-accountability.org/member/psearch.jsp

Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Or maybe it had to do with a different type of abuse. Database of Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse

18 priest accused of abuse in Syracuse alone. Login
Sad, but true.......

Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Given your other posts, you may be interested in this institution as well: Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

You can find similar college here: Locate Colleges | NY Colleges

Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster13206 View Post
This is why I have become Episcopal again. Every Episcopal church I've visited here in Syracuse has been a wonderful worship experience, and I come away lifted up instead of being let down. Is there any Catholic church in the area that wants a true professional for a music director? I can guarantee I can grow any parish I'm assigned to that wants an authentic Catholic worship experience with good organ music.
And it's a good thing too. The Eucharist is supposed to be the focus of Mass, not the music. That's why the altar is in front of everyone and the choir loft is behind. At least in the old churches... this practice of putting the organ/piano and choir where everyone can see is distracting.

I GET the "smells and the bells;" I do! It fills you up. I used to sing the Latin Mass every week. (And I suspect I may have even sung when you were the organist.) I am no longer a practicing Catholic so I'm not judging your choice of moving to another religion... but I am saying that if you're going to Mass for the music and employment in it, it's just as well you did switch.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:57 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,621,826 times
For many people (perhaps not those of the Catholic faith), the presence of music is one of the key drivers of church attendence. I personally find it uplifting. I've long admired the black churches and their incorporation of gospel music. The excitement and passion in the pews is palable, even for those wathcing afar from their television sets. I feel that some churches (particuarly the mega, evangelical ones in the South may take music to the extreme). There is a non denominational church in Liverpool, I believe, that plays heavy metal style during their services. I would find that distracting and annoying, but each to their own. In my opinion, the more choices the better.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
It's hard to find an area where there aren't many Catholics in NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area