Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 AM

69 posts, read 221,213 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We're bailing on AZ ASAP and were originally set on moving back to my wife's home state of CT, but mathematical realities have set in and I think it's now clear that we can't afford to live there if she's going to be a full-time stay at home mom (which we both want). I lived the first 27 years of my life in CNY and have been in AZ for 10. My wife has recently, for reasons still not completely clear to me, had a change of heart and is now willing to move to CNY, specifically the 'Cuse area (Manlius). She was originally against it, but this forum and Bellafinzi's photos have helped turn her around....

Anyway, we're doing an expense comparison but I don't really remember how much some home utilities/bills like gas heat, electric, car insurance, vehicle registration and homeowners insurance cost. We are familiar with the (huge) difference in property tax but welcome it, as belonging to the state that is 50th in education is quickly losing it's charm as our children move towards school age. You do get what you pay for!

For those who don't mind sharing, what do you pay to heat your home with gas (we won't consider buying a house with oil), and how much is the electric bill? I'm most interested in costs for houses that are approx 2000 sq ft, newer (post 1980) construction, since that's what we'll be looking to buy. I realize that it costs a lot more to heat in the winter, but if you could share the high/low/average monthly cost for these things it'd be great. I'm just trying to get an idea.

I think I remember the vehicle registration being something like $55 for 2 years in NY. Is that close to correct anymore? Here in Phoenix we get to pay a vehicle license tax along with registration, so our 2007 Honda cost about $470 for '07-'08. My 1998 Lexus was about $100 for the year. EDIT: I found this list of registration fees....is it accurate? Are there other yearly taxes/fees associated with vehicles?

What about auto insurance and homeowner's insurance? I can't remember but I'd bet auto's not as high as AZ with all the stolen cars here. Homeowners could be more in NY, given the amount of wet weather.

I appreciate any help and am looking forward to reading your replies!

Last edited by AZParents; 01-20-2008 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I don't have any insider knowledge about Syracuse and live roughly 2.5 hours south of the city, but I just wanted to applaud you in advance for being so optimistic about returning. Central NY needs all of the new young families it can get. I'm especially excited about the potential that Syracuse, Albany, Scranton, Rochester, and other cities in the Upstate NY/North PA region have for revitalization. Welcome in advance to NY, and I hope helpful folks like BellaFinzi come by soon to address your inquiries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area