Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,922 times

Advertisements

Hi Again, Just wondering everyone's thoughts on Holy Family School and CBA?
Additionally, anyone have any feedback comparing/contrasting Holy Family vs Immaculate Conception? Thank you again for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Where you are looking to live may determine which elementary school to go with. CBA is a non Diocese Catholic high school just outside of the city of Syracuse in the town of DeWitt. It was an all Boys school up until 1987 or so and has always had a very good reputation.

Are you open to considering other Catholic/private schools? I only ask, as there are some with a lower tuition than CBA and one I know of has a higher tuition rate.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
What are you aiming to get out of the schools? As in, what do you want the result to be and is proximity an issue? Tuition bang-for-your-buck? Better connections?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,922 times
Good Question! I was always against private schools (especially with our property/school taxes) because I went to a private university that had a lot of private school kids from all over the country and as a whole, sorry to be stereotypical, they rubbed me the wrong way with their snobbiness (we're talking about 18 years old here, I know everyone grows up and a lot depends on their upbringing and parents). so I'm not saying it was always like that, but as a whole that stuck with me and I always told myself "i'm never sending my kid to a private school." I liked my 650 person public school class and I feel that I was well rounded and open minded. Now fast forward 20 some years and I have little kids and I just want the best for him. The current school district I'm zoned for has awful feedback re: the high school, so we are looking around. I was focusing on JD/FM just for the record of them being "good schools." But then I found some neighborhoods in Marcellus, so I started looking into that.
Everyone wants the best for their kids but since we are choosing where to be, I just want to be most informed and make the "best" decision I can.
Back to your question, I'm aiming to get a challenging academic program that prepares one for a great college, should they be inclined. Good sports. Not sure if they will be into drama or arts but would love that to be available. And sure, as I've learned over the years, which I would've never considered decades ago--connections don't hurt!
However, I achieved a successful career, got into a top rated college, while attending a large, not highly ranked high school so maybe in the end it doesn't matter, but just want to hear anyone's opinions since I'm only familiar with the area I know.
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLover View Post
Good Question! I was always against private schools (especially with our property/school taxes) because I went to a private university that had a lot of private school kids from all over the country and as a whole, sorry to be stereotypical, they rubbed me the wrong way with their snobbiness (we're talking about 18 years old here, I know everyone grows up and a lot depends on their upbringing and parents). so I'm not saying it was always like that, but as a whole that stuck with me and I always told myself "i'm never sending my kid to a private school." I liked my 650 person public school class and I feel that I was well rounded and open minded. Now fast forward 20 some years and I have little kids and I just want the best for him. The current school district I'm zoned for has awful feedback re: the high school, so we are looking around. I was focusing on JD/FM just for the record of them being "good schools." But then I found some neighborhoods in Marcellus, so I started looking into that.
Everyone wants the best for their kids but since we are choosing where to be, I just want to be most informed and make the "best" decision I can.
Back to your question, I'm aiming to get a challenging academic program that prepares one for a great college, should they be inclined. Good sports. Not sure if they will be into drama or arts but would love that to be available. And sure, as I've learned over the years, which I would've never considered decades ago--connections don't hurt!
However, I achieved a successful career, got into a top rated college, while attending a large, not highly ranked high school so maybe in the end it doesn't matter, but just want to hear anyone's opinions since I'm only familiar with the area I know.
Thanks!
Not to be a homer, but I'd also look into the Westhill SD. I grew up primarily in that school district and it seems to fit what you are looking for. Very good academic school with very good sports and extracurricular programs. Check property taxes, but outside of that, it is a very good area for a family. It is also another Western suburban school district that is forgotten about or isn't mentioned that much, but is another very good district on that side of town.

It is a small district(about 2000 students). So, I don't know if that would be an issue.

If you want something new(er) in that district, Brittany Hills and many developments off of Broad, Cleveland and Skyline Roads, as well as around Tenderdon Drive would be good places to look.

As for sports, Boys Basketball won the state public school championship in Class B and has the state player of the year in that classification(has full ride to George Washington). Another player also got a full ride to a Division 2 school(New Haven). Boys Baseball went to the state final four. Boys Lacrosse lost in the sectional final to a state finalist(top player got a full ride to Loyola(MD)). Girls Soccer won the section and lost in the state regionals(top player got a full ride to the University of Richmond for Lacrosse). Girls Basketball won the section and lost in the state semis to the Class B public school state champ. Other programs had great seasons as well. A player from last year's Girls Basketball team started for Penn this year and was Ivy Rookie of the Week at least once. So, I think you can get the point. Westhill School District

Westhill's Jordan Roland repeats as Class B state basketball player of the year - Syracuse.com

Tyler Reynolds @ Westhill High School - Syracuse.com

All-CNY boys lacrosse: Westhill's Richie Easterly is our Player of the Year - Syracuse.com

Tatiana Monds @ Westhill High School - Syracuse.com

Women's Basketball - Mobile - PennAthletics.com—The Official Website of University of Pennsylvania Athletics

I believe it also has one of the best college ready rates in the area as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-02-2015 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area