Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM

50 posts, read 47,777 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to take a job assignment in downtown Syracuse. It will be an approximately 18 month assignment.

I'm a single, 40+ professional female and looking for suggestions for neighborhoods to look at for an apartment complex in a safe and upscale neighborhood.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? Answering those questions would help in offering where to look. With that said, Downtown and Franklin Square come to mind within city limits. Outside of the city, villages such as Liverpool, Manlius, Baldwinsville, Fayetteville and perhaps North Syracuse would/could work. There are some rentals, if available and within budget, in Skaneateles that may work as well.

If you don't want something walkable, there are plenty of nice apartments in the Radisson Community in the Baldwinsville area that come to mind, among others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM

If possible, I would like to stay under $1400/mo

I would be moving from a dull surburb now, so anything more urban would be a plus, even though I recognize that Syracuse is not a large city.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedwoman View Post
If possible, I would like to stay under $1400/mo

I would be moving from a dull surburb now, so anything more urban would be a plus, even though I recognize that Syracuse is not a large city.
Downtown and Franklin Square would/could work. There are some apartments on James Street that may work as well. Is it just you? I only ask because you may like some thing like this: Sedgwick Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

There's also this building: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

You may like something near Westcott, if you can find something that you like.

Here is a guide for Downtown housing: Living » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

As far as the villages, I'd say that Liverpool may still fit due to its walkability, Onondaga Lake Park and proximity to a range of shopping and Syracuse.

More housing, which includes options in Franklin Square: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Apartment Complex | Syracuse, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 06:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,081 times
I would definitely focus on downtown neighborhoods, specifically Armory Square, Franklin Square, etc

Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM

I've been checking out the apartments in Armory Square which seems to be the center of everything I need and I'll need to bump up my rent a bit, but willing to do that to be in a great spot. thanks

Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I've been checking out the apartments in Armory Square which seems to be the center of everything I need and I'll need to bump up my rent a bit, but willing to do that to be in a great spot. thanks
What are the rates for available apartments, from what you've seen in Armory Square?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 PM

1-2 bedrooms, 1500-2200/month, in Armory Square and surrounding areas, walking distance to the federal office building.

These would be apartments that are considered "upscale" as defined locally - but comparable to regular apartments in other major US cities (except NYC and SF) - the Syracuse market is interesting - if one is willing to live just slightly beyond this downtown radius, it appears that prices drop dramatically.

I am not familiar with the public transit system in Syracuse that would bring commuters downtown....again, I am looking at this from the perspective of someone who has only lived in major US cities for her adult life.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
1-2 bedrooms, 1500-2200/month, in Armory Square and surrounding areas, walking distance to the federal office building.

These would be apartments that are considered "upscale" as defined locally - but comparable to regular apartments in other major US cities (except NYC and SF) - the Syracuse market is interesting - if one is willing to live just slightly beyond this downtown radius, it appears that prices drop dramatically.

I am not familiar with the public transit system in Syracuse that would bring commuters downtown....again, I am looking at this from the perspective of someone who has only lived in major US cities for her adult life.
I'm not surprised, as relative to other areas, the housing is more affordable.

You do have units like this in the Tipperary Hill neighborhood that are further out within the city: Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC (it is in post #4 as well)
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0503...8i6656!6m1!1e1

It was a former catholic school that has been turned into lofts. Tipp Hill still has a pretty strong Irish character, but isn't exclusively so. It is on the outer West Side and does have some bars/pubs, but the crowd runs a bit more on the younger side. You could take the 36 series line into Downtown: https://www.centro.org/Schedules-Syracuse.aspx

If you went the previously mentioned Sedgwick townhomes, you could take the 58/22 series in terms of the bus. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0620...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Also, where would you be coming from? Just in terms of what things would be compared to.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM

55 posts, read 64,268 times
Quote:

Holy **** i cant believe they charge that much to live with the homeless.

I live here and been here my whole life . Syracuse is a dump and downtown is no better. If you have a car get apartment away from city. Radisson area, Baldwinsville, Cicero. ect. Downtown has 2-4 good blocks but all trash and herion invested people walk through the good areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area