Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There's a Tim Horton's outpost somewhere in the Children's Hospital I believe. There are several 24 hour locations (and I think Thompson is supposed to be one, but might be drive-thru only late night). I know the location on Brighton is 24 hour.
thanks acknight! Ok, if I'm able to make it to a Tim Horton's, I'll be sure to get the Brighton one then ( I'd rather go at night to reduce any chance of a crowd--I'm tired of crowds dealing with Portland's problems, so any chance I can get to get away from most of that is great! Hmm, Children's Hospital--is that close to the Upstate Medical Center--I'm thinking maybe that is why my GPS led me to that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking about this thread, if you two want some ideas: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...dden-gems.html
LOL, now I'm undecided of what to do tomorrow on Fri :-/ Anyway, its good to have too many ideas than not enough. Might take a 2nd trip here just to finish checking areas out, I know my original list isn't going to be met as I won't have enough time even for that...

Old 08-27-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I probably walked right past you in the mall today! I went to Carhartt for some winter clothes, I figured who is gonna stock better winter clothing than Carhartt in Syracuse. Spent a small fortune but got some good stuff.

If you are in Syracuse, you owe it to yourself to check out Rochester. Not trying to sway your decision, but Rochester is my jam. So glad I checked it out. I like it here too, it has less of a Jersey vibe than Rochester does, but maybe that's what I'm liking...idk.

Weather is spectacular lately. Tim Hortons, meh...only slightly better than D&D. I will never fall out of love with hot Krispy Cremes!
Vintage, I think this was meant for someone else as I haven't been to the mall ( yet )

LOL about Krispy Creme---we have a couple of those, not my thing. We used to have Dunkin' Donuts around Portland, but as you can guess, Starbucks ( which is *huge* in the Northwest ) wiped them out. It's a shame, DD are better IMO, than Starbucks donuts, and surely better than Krispy Kreme. You guys are lucky out here, both Tim Horton's and Dunkin' Donuts LOL

Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 AM

Ok, my day 2 report:

Went to our office around noon and did meet with someone there, but the supervisor is on vacation, and he said she'd be back on Mon ( the day I leave, but she'll be there early enough in the morning, a few hours before my flight back home. )

Anyway, there was some miscommunication somewhere, because when I told her ( the supervisor ) on the phone about a month back, and asked her what shifts they have, she said it is mostly 2nd shift work, which would make sense as the line of work I do, we're picking up specimens *after* places close. Well, according to the Team Lead who was there today, he said their 2nd shift, is day shift work, and you start between 4-5am and done by about 1pm. Their first shift is graveyards ( starting time around 11pm. ) The drivers that work graveyards aren't going anywhere because of their shift differential, and for working day shift, I've done that about 5-10 yrs of my working life, and every day shift hours job I've had, I never did well, because no matter what time I go to sleep, I can't accustom myself to it and be aware ( fully awake ) until around noon, so that was a huge kick in the head to find that out after I spent so much time and money, planning this trip

Working even as early as about 11am-noon start time I could do and graveyards I would love ( I've always been a night owl ) but this is the first office that picks specimens up when clients are still open, and then it sounds like, picking up the rest of that days specimens, the next day, which makes no sense. So this guy did tell me that because Utica has twice as many drivers and multiple shifts there, they're thinking of relocating the central lab ( everything around here is sent to the central lab in NJ ) but that would then go to Utica so it would be processed quicker, and I could start looking at Utica, but of course, its too late on this trip to do that

So, now what I'm going to do, is treat the rest of this visit like a "sightseeing" trip and plan it accordingly like that, but I'm going to stop at the office again Mon before I fly back to Portland, to see if there is anything they can do ( or if in the future ) an afternoon route comes up.

So after that, I made a drive down to Camilus and then started my freeway driving, at roughly around 3:30pm.

I headed from Camilus to I-90W, going past one EZ toll pass ( I have the device in the rental ) and I wanted to turn around not far past that, but had to go to Rte 34 or something like that, which ended up becoming another toll booth, but this time I pulled into the pay booth and told the lady there I was trying to find a way to turn back around to head back to Syracuse and she said I could make a U-turn right at the booth and not pay, but when I made the U-turn, the lane to pull into was coned off, so I had to drive through the EZ pass there, and as you can guessed, I'm thinking I'm going to get billed for that toll booth too as the lights came on when I went through it :-/

So, I stayed on I-90 all the way through the city and then hit 481 north up to where it meets I-81 south and then dissected the city that way ( around 4:30pm this time, all while moving the flow of the traffic--about 70-75 mph in a 55mph zone, whew! Like I said earlier, I was expecting to almost rear-end a stopped car from traffic or something--quite the experience when you're used to doing about 10-15mph for miles at that time of day

Then, I got on 481 North again I think it was until I hit I-81 north but this time had to stop because there was an accident just before James St I think it was, which was perfect for me, because I was taking that exit to stop at the Erie Canal Museum to see the reverse angle parking there LOL

So, I stopped and took some pics of that area in Clinton square--the bronze statues in that park and the buildings around it and by then, it was after 6pm and I was meeting the other C-D user at Dorian's where i ate yesterday.

Met with C-D user, NorthStarDelight--very nice guy--we're meeting up for the game planning on Sat at NBT stadium after hitting the mall then ( will be my first time being there as well ) and then on Sun, its Cooperstown.

So, for tomorrow, still not sure what I'm going to do :-/ I'm thinking of driving down to Skaneateles and come around one of the Finger Lakes after maybe stopping in Ithaca for lunch or something like that.

Ok, off to bed, until tomorrow night...

Old 08-28-2015, 05:54 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
It was very nice to meet you as well, Skylar - looking forward to doing the game on Sat with you.

Yesterday, I did a TON of walking, taking advantage of the nice, cool weather. I parked at the south end of the mall and walked to the end of the Onondaga Creek walkway, and then turned around and walked all the way to downtown. Despite comments I've read about the lake, it wasn't smelly at all - it smelled quite clean - nothing like it was in the old days, I can imagine. I was also impressed with how clean the creek was - the creeks in Atlanta are pretty nasty...lol.

I ended up doing a comprehensive tour of the downtown area (I just love all the old buildings, like the State Building, etc - I even took pics in the lobby...lol. I did the Eire Canal Museum, which was quite informative - glad I did that. Seeing the boat was neat, too. It being free made it even better...lol.

Then, I walked to the bus center and found a bus going up the hill after a 10-min wait, so I took that, so I could tour the campus. I'm so glad I did it this way, since it was opening day (I think) and the place was full of people. I checked out the mighty Carrier Dome (no worries about crappy weather when going to a game - nice ) and after dodging a few rain showers, I had lunch at the Varsity. Man, they sure do load you down with food - I came out of there stuffed, and for less than $10. After that, I did a couple of shops along that street (whatever it's called) - sure was crowded in there, especially when it started to rain again...lol. Got me a 'Cuse shirt to take home with me.

Then I walked alllllll the way back down the hill, through downtown, and back along the walkway, and then I hit the mall for a bit before coming back to where I'm staying (Airbnb). A bit tiring, but well worth it - nothing like seeing a place on foot as opposed to being trapped in a car. Then I met up with Skylar for dinner in Westcott - nice little district there too, I thought it was pretty lively for a Thurs night. Dorian's was a nice, comfy place to eat and chat...I'd certainly go there again.

Can't ya tell I really, really like this city? It's gonna be a bummer to have to go back to Atlanta next week...lol.

Today, I'm doing the New York State Fair - I'm a fan of fairs, and this is one I've been wanting to do for ages. I have my discount ticket + unlimited ride voucher, so I'm ready to have a "large" time (like we say down south...lol.) Forecast highs in the mid 70's is about as close to perfection as you can get - this is what summer's supposed to be like...lol. I do not miss the heat back home AT ALL.

Skylar - I hope you decide to do the Finger Lakes tour, even if you just go to Skaneateles and see the lake there. You won't regret seeing the beautiful CNY countryside.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
LOL, now I'm undecided of what to do tomorrow on Fri :-/ Anyway, its good to have too many ideas than not enough. Might take a 2nd trip here just to finish checking areas out, I know my original list isn't going to be met as I won't have enough time even for that...
Perhaps if you go to Ithaca, you could take Route 34 north to/towards Auburn and check out the Drive In, a couple of historical spots or check out Aurora(a small village in between). Skaneateles is a very nice community about 5 miles or so east of Auburn on Route 20, that may be worth stopping by.

Route 20 would have been great in the Fall with the Apple Orchards/stand along the route between Skaneateles and LaFayette. Cazenovia is another very nice community on that route further east. It also is a lakefront community.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Ok, the last 3 days of my trip report:

On Friday, I drove down to Skaneateles to go see at least Skaneateles Lake, but I've been fighting this problem with my left eye ( I blame our smoke in the Pacific NW on this ) where it has been excessively dry, so after having to stop a few times just between Syracuse and Skaneateles to put these artificial tear drops in it, I had ran out of the supply I had, and thinking as much as it was burning, either the drops were no longer working or I had another issue with my eye. I pulled into a CVS Pharmacy ( we don't have these in Oregon ) after trying to reach my doctor unsuccessfully to get me a different prescription, and 3 *hours* later, my doctor not only didn't return my 2 calls, but also when the pharmacist there called them and left them a message, his call either, they faxed the pharmacy a prescription for not only the stuff I've been taking, but it was something this pharmacy sold over-the-counter. A 3 hr wait at the pharmacy for nothing, essentially. I went ahead and got the prescription ( which cost me twice as much for less than half of what I paid for it at a Target pharmacy in Portland ) thinking I had nothing to lose--maybe the eye dropper will work better than the plastic throw-away vials were

So, I headed down hwy 41 I think it was, and only caught a split second of the portion of the lake that runs up to the banks in Skaneateles, and there was one parking spot left ( this was 4pm by then ) and the car in front of me took it. I drove for about the next 12 miles south on this highway and couldn't find the lake anymore, and with the pain my eye was in at this time, I just turned around and headed back to the hotel. I tried to sleep as much as possible, because as long as I was asleep, my eye wasn't in pain, so I didn't log in here or on the computer at all.

Yesterday, before I met up with C-D user NorthStarDelight again, Fri night at the hotel I was staying the first 3 nights at, I had to speak to the GM of the hotel--the Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville, while it was quiet the first 2 nights, Fri night was quite the contrary. I woke up around midnight after turning in early because of my eye, to a very loud party in the room across from me, so I stepped outside to ask the group of about 10 folks to quiet it down and they briefly did, but then I woke up about 3am to them fighting and swearing at each other. I went downtstairs to tell the night host about it and he quickly nipped it in the rear, but I didn't get back to sleep till after 4am, but anyway where NorthStarDelight and I got the tickets for the Sat night game between Syracuse and Lehigh Valley ( who is my favorite baseball team AAA team ) and then walked the Destiny USA mall for a bit and had a meatloaf lunch and salad at the Boston Market there, and then NorthStarDelight showed me a good viewing area that was atop a hill not far from the Tippenary Hill area ( where I also took a photo of the upside down stop light lol ) and then since I checked into my other hotel earlier in the day, we met at NBT stadium for the game.

Of course, my team lost 2-1 but it was a good pitched game. The promo was where there were monkeys riding border collie's chasing goats at the end of every 3 innings. I couldn't believe it, my eyes weren't giving me any problem at all for the first time in over 2 weeks!!

At the end of the game, they had a fireworks show that was really good, but I think from all the smoke ( we were seated on back of lower level near 1st base side ) my eyes really began to get irritated again, so I had to quickly put these drops in before it got too bad, and I even turned in relatively early again ( for me, it was early anyway. )

Today, we went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. We took hwy 20 or 28 out there and I-90 back into Syracuse. The HOF was a lot of fun, a lot of exhibits to see--it's $23/person, but IMO, well worth the value; especially since I've waited roughly about 35 yrs to see it. Of course we also checked out the shops and such along Main St in Cooperstown, having lunch at the Pizzeria and then decided we better hit the ride home before it got too dark and me not knowing the roads around here, was afraid of running across deer on the highways. I don't know if you guys have a lot of deer on remote highways here in upstate NY, but we sure do have a lot of them in OR ( I hit one while I was working, about 3 yrs ago. )

For dinner, I decided we go to Heid's of Liverpool since I hadn't been there before, and that was one thing that C-D user, "ckhthankgod" had told me about checking out, so we ate there. Food was pretty good--I'm very picky with my food, but especially when it comes to french fries. I like my fries cooked; yet soft. IMO, french fries shouldn't be like biting into a crouton, and I want them with no salt, so they made them perfectly

Dropped NorthStarDelight off at the place he was staying at in E. Syracuse and then thought since this is my last day/night in town, I'd try out Tim Horton's since I hadn't been there yet. LOL

I found one that was open after 10pm--it seems to be the only one, and that is off of Brighton Road. Just got me an old-fashioned donut and a cherry pastry and made my way back to my hotel. When I called several others in the area, they all either closed at 10pm or earlier, or they didn't answer the phone....

So tomorrow I am going to get up a little bit early, and run over to our office again to meet with the supervisor since she returns from vacation today, and see if there is any chance they open an afternoon shift--or even the graveyard shift I would settle for too. If not, I'm "S-O-L" and I have to start *all over* again in my search for a place that is cheaper than Portland and one without a lot of traffic, with the amenities I'm seeking.

I would have liked to see the Farmer's Market near the mall and ball park, but since I got a few items at the one in Westcott neighborhood the day I arrived, I didn't need to go there afterall, but would have liked to check out the flea market style one today but didn't get time because of the time needed to get to Cooperstown--oh well, maybe next time if/when I'm back in town.

IMO, the people here seem nice ( at least compared to Portland ) and oh yeah, the traffic is a BREEZE!!! I will say this, Syracuse roads are in bad condition--not the highways or freeways but the streets are. I am guessing likely because of the salt used on them during the winter, and it seems weird that they don't have turn lanes that separate the lanes that face each other. Its the first city I've been to that doesn't have them, even on main streets I found out. The ones they do have, are very short and are only meant for turning into specific parking lots, and not the entire street having a turn lane in the center for either direction of traffic.

Still, I think if I can get used to the winters here, and put up with the humidity ( it did feel much like some summer evenings in Portland--a heavy humidity type evening ) that it wouldn't be bad. The Liverpool area looks nice to live ( which coincidentally, where our office is ) and the Westcott area doesn't look bad at all since if that one guy told me about the cops always patrolling it, is true.

Still, everything hinges on my potential transfer here, and I won't know for sure until tomorrow, and even if it's possible, it could take at least about another year before I replenish my funds for this trip, and save the several thousand $ needed to make the move from 3000 miles away. I would like to visit sometime in the winter just to see how bad the roads can be ( oh, and I find it funny the flag rods that stick about the fire hydrants so they're easy to find in the snow LOL ) but I'd hate to take a few days to travel here in the winter, and end up getting stuck because of the snow, and then not make it back to work in time in Portland :-/

So, I fly out of Syracuse a little after 1pm tomorrow--the 31st, have a slight delay in LaGuardia in NYC, then an hour delay in Detroit, and it's a few hours from there to Portland where I won't get to Portland until close to 10pm Pacific time. It was a nice trip here, hopefully I'll be back ( one way ticket or something like that ) but it will all depend on my job and of course, the pay rate here how it would compare to Portland what I'm making now.

OH, also, does anyone know I think it was in Dewitt or near Thompson Road, what the, it appears to be cameras? that are attached to the street light posts at the top that have the blinking blue light with the word "POLICE" on it, is used for? hadn't seen anything like that before either....

Last edited by skylar0201; 08-30-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 06:37 AM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Ok, the last 3 days of my trip report:

On Friday, I drove down to Skaneateles to go see at least Skaneateles Lake, but I've been fighting this problem with my left eye ( I blame our smoke in the Pacific NW on this ) where it has been excessively dry, so after having to stop a few times just between Syracuse and Skaneateles to put these artificial tear drops in it, I had ran out of the supply I had, and thinking as much as it was burning, either the drops were no longer working or I had another issue with my eye. I pulled into a CVS Pharmacy ( we don't have these in Oregon ) after trying to reach my doctor unsuccessfully to get me a different prescription, and 3 *hours* later, my doctor not only didn't return my 2 calls, but also when the pharmacist there called them and left them a message, his call either, they faxed the pharmacy a prescription for not only the stuff I've been taking, but it was something this pharmacy sold over-the-counter. A 3 hr wait at the pharmacy for nothing, essentially. I went ahead and got the prescription ( which cost me twice as much for less than half of what I paid for it at a Target pharmacy in Portland ) thinking I had nothing to lose--maybe the eye dropper will work better than the plastic throw-away vials were

So, I headed down hwy 41 I think it was, and only caught a split second of the portion of the lake that runs up to the banks in Skaneateles, and there was one parking spot left ( this was 4pm by then ) and the car in front of me took it. I drove for about the next 12 miles south on this highway and couldn't find the lake anymore, and with the pain my eye was in at this time, I just turned around and headed back to the hotel. I tried to sleep as much as possible, because as long as I was asleep, my eye wasn't in pain, so I didn't log in here or on the computer at all.

Yesterday, before I met up with C-D user NorthStarDelight again, Fri night at the hotel I was staying the first 3 nights at, I had to speak to the GM of the hotel--the Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville, while it was quiet the first 2 nights, Fri night was quite the contrary. I woke up around midnight after turning in early because of my eye, to a very loud party in the room across from me, so I stepped outside to ask the group of about 10 folks to quiet it down and they briefly did, but then I woke up about 3am to them fighting and swearing at each other. I went downtstairs to tell the night host about it and he quickly nipped it in the rear, but I didn't get back to sleep till after 4am, but anyway where NorthStarDelight and I got the tickets for the Sat night game between Syracuse and Lehigh Valley ( who is my favorite baseball team AAA team ) and then walked the Destiny USA mall for a bit and had a meatloaf lunch and salad at the Boston Market there, and then NorthStarDelight showed me a good viewing area that was atop a hill not far from the Tippenary Hill area ( where I also took a photo of the upside down stop light lol ) and then since I checked into my other hotel earlier in the day, we met at NBT stadium for the game.

Of course, my team lost 2-1 but it was a good pitched game. The promo was where there were monkeys riding border collie's chasing goats at the end of every 3 innings. I couldn't believe it, my eyes weren't giving me any problem at all for the first time in over 2 weeks!!

At the end of the game, they had a fireworks show that was really good, but I think from all the smoke ( we were seated on back of lower level near 1st base side ) my eyes really began to get irritated again, so I had to quickly put these drops in before it got too bad, and I even turned in relatively early again ( for me, it was early anyway. )

Today, we went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. We took hwy 20 or 28 out there and I-90 back into Syracuse. The HOF was a lot of fun, a lot of exhibits to see--it's $23/person, but IMO, well worth the value; especially since I've waited roughly about 35 yrs to see it. Of course we also checked out the shops and such along Main St in Cooperstown, having lunch at the Pizzeria and then decided we better hit the ride home before it got too dark and me not knowing the roads around here, was afraid of running across deer on the highways. I don't know if you guys have a lot of deer on remote highways here in upstate NY, but we sure do have a lot of them in OR ( I hit one while I was working, about 3 yrs ago. )

For dinner, I decided we go to Heid's of Liverpool since I hadn't been there before, and that was one thing that C-D user, "ckhthankgod" had told me about checking out, so we ate there. Food was pretty good--I'm very picky with my food, but especially when it comes to french fries. I like my fries cooked; yet soft. IMO, french fries shouldn't be like biting into a crouton, and I want them with no salt, so they made them perfectly

Dropped NorthStarDelight off at the place he was staying at in E. Syracuse and then thought since this is my last day/night in town, I'd try out Tim Horton's since I hadn't been there yet. LOL

I found one that was open after 10pm--it seems to be the only one, and that is off of Brighton Road. Just got me an old-fashioned donut and a cherry pastry and made my way back to my hotel. When I called several others in the area, they all either closed at 10pm or earlier, or they didn't answer the phone....

So tomorrow I am going to get up a little bit early, and run over to our office again to meet with the supervisor since she returns from vacation today, and see if there is any chance they open an afternoon shift--or even the graveyard shift I would settle for too. If not, I'm "S-O-L" and I have to start *all over* again in my search for a place that is cheaper than Portland and one without a lot of traffic, with the amenities I'm seeking.

I would have liked to see the Farmer's Market near the mall and ball park, but since I got a few items at the one in Westcott neighborhood the day I arrived, I didn't need to go there afterall, but would have liked to check out the flea market style one today but didn't get time because of the time needed to get to Cooperstown--oh well, maybe next time if/when I'm back in town.

IMO, the people here seem nice ( at least compared to Portland ) and oh yeah, the traffic is a BREEZE!!! I will say this, Syracuse roads are in bad condition--not the highways or freeways but the streets are. I am guessing likely because of the salt used on them during the winter, and it seems weird that they don't have turn lanes that separate the lanes that face each other. Its the first city I've been to that doesn't have them, even on main streets I found out. The ones they do have, are very short and are only meant for turning into specific parking lots, and not the entire street having a turn lane in the center for either direction of traffic.

Still, I think if I can get used to the winters here, and put up with the humidity ( it did feel much like some summer evenings in Portland--a heavy humidity type evening ) that it wouldn't be bad. The Liverpool area looks nice to live ( which coincidentally, where our office is ) and the Westcott area doesn't look bad at all since if that one guy told me about the cops always patrolling it, is true.

Still, everything hinges on my potential transfer here, and I won't know for sure until tomorrow, and even if it's possible, it could take at least about another year before I replenish my funds for this trip, and save the several thousand $ needed to make the move from 3000 miles away. I would like to visit sometime in the winter just to see how bad the roads can be ( oh, and I find it funny the flag rods that stick about the fire hydrants so they're easy to find in the snow LOL ) but I'd hate to take a few days to travel here in the winter, and end up getting stuck because of the snow, and then not make it back to work in time in Portland :-/

So, I fly out of Syracuse a little after 1pm tomorrow--the 31st, have a slight delay in LaGuardia in NYC, then an hour delay in Detroit, and it's a few hours from there to Portland where I won't get to Portland until close to 10pm Pacific time. It was a nice trip here, hopefully I'll be back ( one way ticket or something like that ) but it will all depend on my job and of course, the pay rate here how it would compare to Portland what I'm making now.

OH, also, does anyone know I think it was in Dewitt or near Thompson Road, what the, it appears to be cameras? that are attached to the street light posts at the top that have the blinking blue light with the word "POLICE" on it, is used for? hadn't seen anything like that before either....
Sounded like a busy few days and hopefully things work out in regards to the potential job.

I believe those boxes are for the intersections in terms of people running red lights, but don't quote me on that.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sounded like a busy few days and hopefully things work out in regards to the potential job.

I believe those boxes are for the intersections in terms of people running red lights, but don't quote me on that.
Oh ok. Well, about the job, nope, it's still not a go The supervisor I met with this morning before heading to the airport, was surprised that our "2nd shift" here is not day shift hours--she said they may open a swing shift if/when the regional processing lab moves from NJ to Utica ( as Utica is a busier spot for our labs apparently ) but nothing at all anytime soon--and even that is a big, big maybe at best, so now I'm back to square one all because of a mis-communication

Quite an experience flying back here to Portland ( just got home about 2 hrs ago. ) First, the flight attendant leaving Syracuse didn't bring me a seat belt--my seat was missing it! after I not only asked him once about it, but then again, and it was a pretty turbulent flight--I'm letting Delta know about that one.

LaGuardia is a nice airport--first time I had been there, IMO, it looks far better than JFK is ( and more well-lit too ) don't know why the governor wants to tear it down and build from scratch again as I heard of a few weeks ago. We flew out of LaGuardia at 5pm sharp, and looking at the traffic on the freeways below, it was moving slow in some places, but at least it was *moving*. I never thought I'd be jealous of NYC commuters If it weren't so expensive there, I'd consider moving there

The plane getting into LaGuardia (wherever it came from ) was pretty late, so when I arrived in Detroit ( another place I hadn't been to before today ) I had to run 45 gates down for my connection, in just under 10 min. As soon as I got there, they just announced they were boarding. Had a 45 min delay leaving Detroit as the front lavatory had a leak in the seal at bottom of the plane and made it back to Portland rather smoothly.

Geez, when I returned the rental at Syracuse Hancock airport, that was about 11:45am local time when I got there, there was nobody driving through when I walked from the rental car parking garage into the terminal, and when I checked my baggage curbside, the 2 attendants that were there said it's usually that quiet most of the day. I got my baggage here in Portland around 10pm local time, stepped outside, and it was utter gridlock a good 1/2 mile back in front of the terminal, and all you hear are people honking at each other, and those damn parking officers blowing their whistles.

I already miss Syracuse............

Last edited by skylar0201; 09-01-2015 at 02:27 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
I got back home in Atlanta after a 1000-mile trip over 2 days. I decided to visit Shenandoah National Park on the way back, which was well worth it.

Anyhow, I wanted to share my experiences of the Fair and they days following. In short, the fair was [b]awesome[i]. It was by far the best fair I'd ever been to. I was there from 10 am to 9 pm and still didn't get to see it all...lol. The food, exhibits, the midway - they were all amazing. I challenged myself to do those wild rides (a couple of those would be great for astronaut training...lol), and I enjoyed a performance by the 2 guys from Little Feat and the band Orleans. And the dairy barn - gosh, I was in total heaven.

When I'm able to move to Syracuse, the fair will most certainly be a time-honored tradition...lol. And the weather was perfect, partly cloudy (which kept the sun from roasting me) and temps in the 70's - I couldn't have asked for better.

On Saturday, I went to Thornden Park and enjoyed the views there, and then I met up with Skylar to get tickets for the night's Chief's game. We spent some time at Destiny, and then I took him to my favorite vantage point of the city - the hill overlooking Woodland Reservoir. That night, we both had an enjoyable time at the game - the weather was great, and the fireworks at the end was a great bonus in addition to the game.

On Sunday, we rode over to Cooperstown, and I'm really glad I got to see that, and the Baseball Hall of Fame. It was a beautiful ride over, it was a very pretty town, and the museum was very nice - I learned so much about the history of baseball.

When I get the chance, I'll post up some photos I took in Syracuse in this thread. Oh yeah, I miss it too..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area