Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Syracuse: Eliot Spitzer, governors, State of New York, NYC, Pataki.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM

3,526 posts, read 9,442,282 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen any signs that Gov. Spitzer will put money (or even the effort) where his mouth is.... yet!!!(?)

-Under Gov. Pataki the State of New York focused on building up the Capital District. Basically giving out over $3 billion in State money for new research centers, highway projects, and luring new industry among other things.

-The Buffalo area is always a high priority with new proposals and new efforts by the State to revitalize and grow the economy there.

-Recently, the State has proposed pouring over $100 million in State money to build up the Rochester area. Currently Gov. Spitzer is asking Rochester leaders to come up with more ideas to help grow the Rochester area.

The Syracuse area is the only major Upstate NY metro that does not receive special focus from New York State. Why has the Syracuse area been ignored and looked over by New York State over the past two decades? Lately, Gov. Spitzer thinks that giving speeches on Upstate NY issues "IN" Syracuse will make up for the fact that the State does very little to help boost the local economy (in the Syracuse area).

-All the new distribution centers that created hundreds of jobs were lured to Binghamton, the Capital District, Rome or Western NY even though Syracuse lies at the center of the State. Does not make much sense to me?

-Bristol Myers Squibb was looking to build a plant in either Syracuse's Clay Industrial Park or near Boston, MASS. No one from New York State government ever fought for those 500 good paying jobs for Syracuse. Never once did I hear from a State leader- putting money on the line- like they do so often for the Capital District and Buffalo.

Sorry for the rant. Any comments? Any input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Remember this is the Syracuse forum...not a Rochester, Buffalo, or Albany forum. I do not want to hear about other Upstate metros/cities. They already receive enough attention elsewhere on the internet...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 24,070 times
syracuse definitly gets the short end of the stick.... I don't understand it, we have just as much to offer here as any other upstate city, a little money and maybe a cut in taxes or tax incentive for business and syracuse could again be a great city

Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,140,047 times
I have a wee suggestion fellow New Yorkers: Send your locals emails; send your locals letters; call them and give them the rant. They take it to Spitzer!

I worked for the former Gov, indirectly, in one of the State Departments, and those who made the biggest noise got the biggest piece of the pie. It is the way the government works.

Syracuse was always on my radar! Not because it was Syracuse but because I had been there, knew folks from there and knew it needed help. I sent my meager stash whenever I could, but if I hadn't been invited there to review programs, it would be just another NYS city.

Go, Syracuse!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:04 PM

133 posts, read 498,731 times
Bella,
I am going to break your rule and mention Watertown. If Spitzer were to pay more attention to CNY (particularly Syracuse) I think it would have a spill over effect. Let's face it, if Fort Drum was not up here to stimulate our economy Watertown would be a ghost town by now; and to me that is very sad. Watertown used to be one of the nicest towns in all of New York state! Am I wrong in making this assumption? I mean we are only 70 miles apart, but sometimes it can feel like we are more like 70 years apart! Also keep in mind that many people from Watertown tavel to Syracuse for shopping, to get away for a weekend or some even commute to work. I know my crazy Mom does! That's besides the point though, do you think if Spitzer spent any money on Syracuse it would have any effect on Watertown? I know you said you did not want to hear about other Upstate cities, but trust me Watertown always gets neglected when it comes to this stuff. Even on this forum we do not even have a Watertown/Thousand Islands section. This alone proves my point.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
Bella,
I am going to break your rule and mention Watertown. If Spitzer were to pay more attention to CNY (particularly Syracuse) I think it would have a spill over effect. Let's face it, if Fort Drum was not up here to stimulate our economy Watertown would be a ghost town by now; and to me that is very sad. Watertown used to be one of the nicest towns in all of New York state! Am I wrong in making this assumption? I mean we are only 70 miles apart, but sometimes it can feel like we are more like 70 years apart! Also keep in mind that many people from Watertown tavel to Syracuse for shopping, to get away for a weekend or some even commute to work. I know my crazy Mom does! That's besides the point though, do you think if Spitzer spent any money on Syracuse it would have any effect on Watertown? I know you said you did not want to hear about other Upstate cities, but trust me Watertown always gets neglected when it comes to this stuff. Even on this forum we do not even have a Watertown/Thousand Islands section. This alone proves my point.
Well, first off you can't compare Syracuse with Watertown. They are in totally different leagues. Watertown is only 30,000 in population, Syracuse is 140,000. Syracuse was once the 37th largest Metro in the US, and Watertown isn't even designated as a Metropolitan Area yet. The Syracuse Metropolitan Area is 650,000. If Watertown ever became a Metropolitan Area , it would only be 115,000. Syracuse is metropolitan city with numerous suburbs, a large airport, symphony etc, a Triple A baseball club, diverse city neighborhoods complete with a inner city poverty(not that we're proud of that). Syracuse has all the characteristics of a major city. Watertown has all the characteristics of a small town.

For example:

-Syracuse's peer cities are Des Monies, Madison, Knoxville and Wichita.

-Watertown's peer cities are Cheyenne, WY, Danville, VA, and Bowling Green, KY.

It is normal for young people to move from places like Bowling Green, KY to places like Knoxville to find a job etc. On the other hand, Syracuse and Des Monies are large enough that they should be Metropolitan Areas that attract college educated young people and good paying jobs.

To answer your question...yes. Watertown would benefit if the Syracuse area was booming in jobs and population growth. How?

1) Syracuse's cost of living would increase if it grew into a much larger Metropolitan area. Then Watertown could sell itself as a cheaper alternative "very close to booming Syracuse, NY".

2) If Syracuse becomes a vibrant, exciting, modern, attractive city again, then Watertown can sell itself as a small town near a fast growing exciting city just 70 miles to the south.

3) If the Syracuse area really grew big enough...like over 1.5 million in population, then Watertown would be much closer to the suburbs of Syracuse. This means that many people could live in Watertown and commute to the "suburbs of Syracuse in Oswego County" for jobs.

The above could also be said for Utica, Auburn, Cortland and maybe even Binghamton. They would all benefit if Syracuse became more like Austin TX, instead of Toledo, OH.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I have a wee suggestion fellow New Yorkers: Send your locals emails; send your locals letters; call them and give them the rant. They take it to Spitzer!

I worked for the former Gov, indirectly, in one of the State Departments, and those who made the biggest noise got the biggest piece of the pie. It is the way the government works.

Syracuse was always on my radar! Not because it was Syracuse but because I had been there, knew folks from there and knew it needed help. I sent my meager stash whenever I could, but if I hadn't been invited there to review programs, it would be just another NYS city.

Go, Syracuse!
ontheroad, thanks so much for all you did! As you said,the Syracuse area needs all the help it can get.

That's really too bad to hear Syracuse is treated as "just" another city in New York State. Very hard for me to understand why Metropolitan Areas Syracuse's size are important places in most other States, but not so in New York State. NYS is so screwy that a Metropolitan Area over 600,000 in population is treat the same as any other town.

I truly believe if you placed Syracuse in any other State, Syracuse would be the Madison, WI for that state. Syracuse's potential is totally wasted in NYS.

If I was powerful enough, I'd find a way for the Syracuse area to break away and join Canada. I know Canada would not toss Syracuse aside. You know what's funny.... Syracuse would actually be one of the more sunny and warm cities in Canada. LOL Warmer and sunnier than Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City...and sunnier than Vancouver.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM

133 posts, read 498,731 times
Bella,
Thank you for that very informative respose. I have been to Madison, Wisconsin and to compare that to Syracuse is depressing. Quite frankly I don't think much of the midwest. It's culture is boring and so are the cities. You want to hear something amusing? I was in line at the airport in Fargo, ND (of all places) and the guy ahead of me asked where I was flying to. I said, Syracuse, New York. He responded, "Why do you want to go there"? He said that his son went to SU and he didn't think there was much to do in Syracuse. Again, mind you this was in friggin boring, lame as can be Fargo, ND. I thought that was kind of rude for him to dismiss Syracuse like it was a blip on the map when this guy was from a small city in North Dakota which no one knows anything about. In defense of Watertown I will say even though it's population is small it is unique to Upstate New York. Because of the military our demographic is very different and can not be compared to cities that compare in size in Upstate NY.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM

I agree with you. With Fort Drum's presence, Watertown attracts families from all over the country...much like a mid-size city would. Watertown is under-rated just for that reason. Most smaller towns in Upstate NY feel very isolated and stale. Watertown doesn't have that vibe IMO.

Madison is respected, growing and looks much better than Syracuse. Just those three aspects give Madison a major advantage over Syracuse when in comes to attracting new jobs and residents. I say focus on making Syracuse look beautiful and the respect will follow. After Syracuse is respected, jobs will follow. When jobs come, the people will come.

I remember the "growing vibe" in the early 1990s. Thousands of families were moving into the Syracuse area from all around the country. We were growing by 5,000 people a year. Just look here: Syracuse, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change It was an exciting time, but since I grew up during that time...I figured it was normal and it would continue forever. Just a couple years later, factory after factory shut down and within a matter of 5 years, 100,000 people flooded out of the area. Only replaced by 80,000 people coming in. The rest was made up in new births. Syracuse hasn't been the same since. The "woe is me" mentality has taken over the area. Since it feels like the economy will never improve. That's where Spitzer comes in. He promised to help Upstate NY grow. So far I see nothing Spitzer has done help Syracuse become a modern, prosperous, attractive, exciting, respected Metropolitan Area once again. Pataki was useless. Hopefully, Spitzer won't be another Pataki and Hillary.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,871,007 times
Not anymore!...I am not passing judgment, but it is too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area