Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM

821 posts, read 759,860 times

Advertisements

Syracuse lost population, again along with the rest of upstate.
Onondaga county 466,194 down 2,081 since 2015
Oswego county 118,987 down 975 since 2015
Madison county 71,329 down 442 since 2015

These are just estimates, but Syracuse was the worst of all upstate cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Syracuse lost population, again along with the rest of upstate.
Onondaga county 466,194 down 2,081 since 2015
Oswego county 118,987 down 975 since 2015
Madison county 71,329 down 442 since 2015

These are just estimates, but Syracuse was the worst of all upstate cities.
Interesting.....Are you referring to the city proper or metro area? As mentioned in another post, I'd be interested to see what 2020 will bring.

That Onondaga County count means that the estimates until now were the same or similar to the 2010 population for the county.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting.....Are you referring to the city proper or metro area? As mentioned in another post, I'd be interested to see what 2020 will bring.
the metro, and metro areas as a whole did very poorly in 2016. Chicago went into a free fall, and St. Louis MSA and Milwaukee MSA fell for the first time ever. growth slowed in almost all big metros. Toledo, Youngstown, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo and Rochester all lost as well.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
the metro
Even more interesting given the gains in Onondaga and Madison counties in previous years.

I'm surprised that Utica-Rome or Binghamton weren't higher in that regard.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Even more interesting given the gains in Onondaga and Madison counties in previous years.

I'm surprised that Utica-Rome or Binghamton weren't higher in that regard.
They were probably higher percentage, but i think raw number goes to Syracuse

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
They were probably higher percentage, but i think raw number goes to Syracuse
That would make sense in comparison given the higher population in the Syracuse area, as it has more people than both of those areas combined.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
the metro, and metro areas as a whole did very poorly in 2016. Chicago went into a free fall, and St. Louis MSA and Milwaukee MSA fell for the first time ever. growth slowed in almost all big metros. Toledo, Youngstown, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo and Rochester all lost as well.
Then you look at Horry County, SC and its growing like no place I've ever witnessed. The counties surrounding Charlotte on the SC side are growing like fertilized weeds. 4% in one year! I drive around here and unfortunately every other structure is abandoned. That's in NYS, PA, and NJ. Its awful. I had a glimmer of hope last spring- I saw so many people outside fixing their properties. Soon after, I saw for sale signs on most and now the banks hire property managers to mow the weeds and shovel the driveways of foreclosed properties. People are still walking away from homes here.

I'm 100% convinced that Americans want a new, shiny house on a nice plot of land with low taxes, abundant sunshine, and tons of brand new stores nearby. The narrative here in NJ is "oh, look how many people are moving to our cities". Except when you really break down the numbers, Americans are moving out in large numbers to the Sunbelt and "international migrants" are moving in, in large numbers.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Then you look at Horry County, SC and its growing like no place I've ever witnessed. The counties surrounding Charlotte on the SC side are growing like fertilized weeds. 4% in one year! I drive around here and unfortunately every other structure is abandoned. That's in NYS, PA, and NJ. Its awful. I had a glimmer of hope last spring- I saw so many people outside fixing their properties. Soon after, I saw for sale signs on most and now the banks hire property managers to mow the weeds and shovel the driveways of foreclosed properties. People are still walking away from homes here.

I'm 100% convinced that Americans want a new, shiny house on a nice plot of land with low taxes, abundant sunshine, and tons of brand new stores nearby. The narrative here in NJ is "oh, look how many people are moving to our cities". Except when you really break down the numbers, Americans are moving out in large numbers to the Sunbelt and "international migrants" are moving in, in large numbers.
I also think that as the baby boomers hit retirement age, they are more apt to leave. Horry County, which is where Myrtle Beach is located is a good example of this, as it is largely a service based economy with some manufacturing. It is likely the biggest gainer in that part of SC as well.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:56 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
I also think that as the baby boomers hit retirement age, they are more apt to leave. Horry County, which is where Myrtle Beach is located is a good example of this, as it is largely a service based economy with some manufacturing. It is likely the biggest gainer in that part of SC as well.
Percentage wise, Lancaster County, SC within the Charlotte metro, is the biggest gainer. The average age there is 39, same as Erie County. So, I'm not sure that much of this demographic movement to the Sunbelt is driven by retirees. Horry County is a bit older (41) but still not all that old. And areas like Travis County TX (30 yrs) and Denver County (33 yrs old) are pretty young and very quickly growing areas.

Also, I am not stating this to put NYS down. I'd rather live in Monroe County, NY than Lancaster County, SC. Monroe definitely has much more to offer as of now, and a nicer landscape. But I am concerned by what I see, in NY, NJ, and PA lately. Its changing rapidly and I'm not sure for the better.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/...g-long-island/

Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Percentage wise, Lancaster County, SC within the Charlotte metro, is the biggest gainer. The average age there is 39, same as Erie County. So, I'm not sure that much of this demographic movement to the Sunbelt is driven by retirees. Horry County is a bit older (41) but still not all that old. And areas like Travis County TX (30 yrs) and Denver County (33 yrs old) are pretty young and very quickly growing areas.

Also, I am not stating this to put NYS down. I'd rather live in Monroe County, NY than Lancaster County, SC. Monroe definitely has much more to offer as of now, and a nicer landscape. But I am concerned by what I see, in NY, NJ, and PA lately. Its changing rapidly and I'm not sure for the better.

Suffolk County, Long Island Residents Flock To Warmer Climates « CBS New York
I know what you are saying and I'm not saying that it is "driven" by retirees, but that it is a demographic that can't be overlooked in terms of those moving. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

Other demographics may also play a part, such as a higher Black percentage, as the Black median age tends to be lower. You do have families to these counties as well.

With Travis County(Austin) and Denver(which really isn't Sun Belt), they have been magnets for a while and with Austin, it doesn't hurt to have one of the biggest universities in the country in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area