Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 AM

75 posts, read 107,170 times

Advertisements

We're young people considering a lot of places, like Colorado or Texas, but then I decided, "Why not something I wouldn't normally consider?"

And then I thought of central New York, a place full of history and interesting places, but NOT a place you hear about very often anymore. So I wanted to ask what you love and hate about Syracuse and the surrounding area?

Weather? Culture? People? Friendliness? Local government? Economy? Food?

(I noticed one person had posted that people in the Liverpool neighborhood were friendly. We are looking for a place like that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What made you consider the area, if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest, a lot of what you are looking for are in other threads and it is easier to answer based upon your personal wants.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 20,268 times
Do you have a job? No one moves here without a job first. The job market is next to nil so I suggest being employed first.

Colorado - Denver and Boulder are fantastic cities. You can't get enough of the awesomeness living in one of those two places. If you are an outdoor junkie, you might like Boulder more or so I've heard.

Texas - Austin is fantastic. You do mention you are a trump fan and it's pretty liberal there but it's Texas and they are a party onto themselves. Austin - fantastic.

Now - you simply cannot put Syracuse in the same grouping as Austin, Denver or Boulder. The economy is horrible out here. You need to have a job first. Also - if you locate to the area and are planning on having kids - you want to look at the Common Core Scores of the schools you are interested in.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiasedviews View Post
Do you have a job? No one moves here without a job first. The job market is next to nil so I suggest being employed first.

Colorado - Denver and Boulder are fantastic cities. You can't get enough of the awesomeness living in one of those two places. If you are an outdoor junkie, you might like Boulder more or so I've heard.

Texas - Austin is fantastic. You do mention you are a trump fan and it's pretty liberal there but it's Texas and they are a party onto themselves. Austin - fantastic.

Now - you simply cannot put Syracuse in the same grouping as Austin, Denver or Boulder. The economy is horrible out here. You need to have a job first. Also - if you locate to the area and are planning on having kids - you want to look at the Common Core Scores of the schools you are interested in.
The local job market will depend on your personal skills, education, networking/who you know and what type of work you are willing to do. This will also depend on what is available. With this said, a person shouldn't move anywhere without a job, regardless of the economy. An area can have jobs, but if you don't have the skills, education, etc. to match what is available in that area, then being in an areas with a lot of jobs doesn't mean anything.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Fan1 View Post
We're young people considering a lot of places, like Colorado or Texas, but then I decided, "Why not something I wouldn't normally consider?"

And then I thought of central New York, a place full of history and interesting places, but NOT a place you hear about very often anymore. So I wanted to ask what you love and hate about Syracuse and the surrounding area?

(I noticed one person had posted that people in the Liverpool neighborhood were friendly. We are looking for a place like that.)
First off if your a Trump fan, like me, or frankly anything other then extreme hard left you should keep your mouth shut about politics in NY. It will rarely come up on its own as NYers tend to just assume your extreme hard left and don't bring it up. So as long as your quiet you'll be fine. Thats the cities, once you get outside the cities its the opposite. My townships I'd say had about 99.99% Trump signs. If you vote Republican YOU WILL NEVER vote for a winner on a state level. NY is the mother of all welfare states and always will be so if that bothers you you shouldn't come because its never gonna change.

Weather?? If you like cold and gloomly you'll love it. If you like warm and sunny you'll hate it. Thats on you.

Jobs?? If you know somebody you'll be fine. If you don't have connections you better have something to offer nobody else has. For example where I work it asks you if you know anyone who currently works here?? If so who?? If you don't have someone to put you won't be called.

Food is going all chain lately. 5 years from now thats likely all we will have. Good and bad to that. Two throw the curve off I can think of three "chain" places but one is actually local to Syracuse (DIno) and two local to Utica( Zebs and Delmonico's).

Culture seems to be shooting each other within Syracuse and shooting deer everywhere else. I don't do either so I have no culture.

NYers are friendly enough to people they know but treat strangers with open hostility. Think the taxes and weather have just beaten everyone down so much. I should note that when I'm i NY I'm not that friendly either. When I'm out of state and people are nice it takes a few days for me to open up. After a weekI'm as cheerful as they are. Soon as I cross the state line I'm back to my NY attutude. For example when we stayed in Florida for awhile within a week I think at least 75% of the people in the area came of and introduced themselves. At first it annoyed me but kinda liked it after abit. In NY we moved here 6 months ago and have not met a soul. Nobody waves. Nobody brought us a pie. I used my large snowblower to help open several driveways during that monster storm, no thank you's. No gas money. No nothing. So now I don't wave to them and next winter I will let them die stuck in there houses. Its just the way NY is.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 AM

486 posts, read 465,416 times
[
we are leaving here in 2018 and mvg south, finally. ny has high taxes, long, cold brutal weather, lots of snow, dreary days. short summers. nice restaurants tho. but the cons outweigh the pros for me. good luck

QUOTE=Trump_Fan1;47636158]We're young people considering a lot of places, like Colorado or Texas, but then I decided, "Why not something I wouldn't normally consider?"

(I noticed one person had posted that people in the Liverpool neighborhood were friendly. We are looking for a place like that.)[/quote]

Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM

60 posts, read 48,430 times
Syracuse offers great value with the low housing costs, and low crime.

Also, 4 seasons.

Close to Toronto, NYC, Boston.

Great people.

Nationally ranked university.

There is always work. It might not be the most ideal job for you, but you can make enough money to cover your expenses.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 AM

10 posts, read 14,518 times
Syracuse has its share of difficulties as do many northern US cities. However, it has some remarkable qualities. It is served by excellent infrastructure in the form of I 81 (North/South) and I 90 (East/West--NYS Thruway) along with I 481 and I 690 (which circle the city). It has active Amtrak service and a very user friendly and busy international airport. It is also on the Eire Canal which has become a major tourist and recreational asset for Upstate New York.

Syracuse has major colleges and universities including Syracuse University, SUNY ESF, LeMoyne College and Onondaga Community College in the city. Within twenty-five miles of the city one can find Cazenovia College, Colgate University, Hamilton College, SUNY Cortland, SUNY Morrisville, SUNY Institute of Technology and Utica College.

The city has a viable and popular symphony (Symphoria), a world class art center (the Everson), an active Historical Association, a lively sports program with the Crunch (hockey) and The Chiefs (baseball). Syracuse university has a first class athletic program and is a major contender in ACC football basketball and lacrosse in particular. Syracuse Stage is a professional downtown theatre which has a season of seven or eight month long runs of well known productions and world premiere original productions. Combined with the SU Drama programs theatre, there are always quality productions in state-of-the-art theatre. The downtown Landmark Theatre hosts Broadway productions and concerts as does the Crouse-Hinds Theatre. Show of all sorts including Phantom of the opera and other Broadway greats visit the city.

Four distinct seasons off a great deal of opportunity. The New york State Fair which runs for thirteen days in August is packed with free big name concerts, the largest midway in the eastern US and exhibits boasting the best NYS has to offer. The new Lakeview Amphitheatre books bands of all sorts from rock, to blues, to country, to jazz and on and on. It is a magnificent venue overlooking a restored and beautifully Onondaga Lake. One of the largest Jazz festivals in the Northeast takes place at Onondaga Community College every June. The Janesville Balloon Festival takes place in June and the Syracuse Nationals Car Show (hot rods) is one of the largest of it kind in the nation. The NYS fairgrounds hosts antique shows, flower shows, car shows, boat and RV shows, home and garden shows and the NYS Farm show throughout the year.

The city is surrounded by beautiful state parks (Green Lakes, Chittenango Falls, Erie Canal, Oneida Shores, Sylvan Beach, and just a few miles northward toward Lake Ontario--Fair Haven Beach, Brennan Beach, Westcott Beach and the St. Lawrence River and Aexandria Bay. Those Ontario beaches with white sand and crashing waves are just wonderful in the summer. Song Mountain, Toggenburg, Labrador, and Greek Peak are all quality ski resorts within 40 minutes of the city. And Whiteface and the Adirondack Park are within a few hours drive of Syracuse. Whiteface offers what may be the best skiing east of the Rockies.

The suburbs offer charming towns with some of the very best school districts in New York State. No drive is prohibitive in the metro area. In other words, it's ever too long or too far to get to a game, a movie, a skip resort or a park. The city has the MOST (Museum of Science and Technology in Armory Square with a beautiful IMAX Theatre. The city's inner harbor is being restored with hotels, apartments and shops and there is a resurgence of interest in downtown living with many new lofts, condos and townhouses.

Syracuse is an easy distance to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and NYC. In 90 minutes one can be at the Thousand Islands Bridge crossing into Ontario. An enhanced NYS drivers license makes for an easy and quick return through US customs.

There are many good shops and stores and Syracuse offers Wegmans--a supermarket that ranks number one in quality and service on virtually every national poll. While many of the great old Syracuse stores are long gone or bought out by national chains, the city still has a flavor of its own. Dinosaur Barbecue, the newly restored grand Hotel Syracuse, Armory Square, Franklin Square, the Erie Canal Museum, the Onondaga Historical Association, DestiNY USA mall (one pf the largest in the nation), excellent hospitals (Upstate Medical University, Crouse, St. Joseph's, Community General, the VA) provide quality care--all of these add to the quality of life in the region.

One can build a good life in Central New York. There is a great deal to explore and enjoy. Every town has located festivals and historic sites. And each season has its own benefits and opportunities.I love CNY and believe Syracuse is showing a long overdue revival and that it has some glorious days ahead.

It's a great old city. It is working to restore some of its past glory

Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 PM

10 posts, read 13,290 times
Hate: It's cold 6 months out of the year.

Love: The scenery is beautiful. Ton's of hiking spots!

Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 20,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The local job market will depend on your personal skills, education, networking/who you know and what type of work you are willing to do. This will also depend on what is available. With this said, a person shouldn't move anywhere without a job, regardless of the economy. An area can have jobs, but if you don't have the skills, education, etc. to match what is available in that area, then being in an areas with a lot of jobs doesn't mean anything.
Yes there are no high tech employers in the area willing to pay market rates. Even healthcare and education are low paid. Low skilled manual labor positions abound.

Last edited by unbiasedviews; 06-12-2017 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: too much info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area