Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:26 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1USA View Post
This was a cute video
Yes and like a poster mentioned in the thread in the Rochester forum, the video covers multiple communities in the Finger Lakes region that could/would have what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 08:57 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,079,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1USA View Post
This was a cute video
Yes, all of the Finger Lakes are nice. Some more than others, depending on your definition of nice. I would guess that you would have to decide how important certain things are to you, like grocery shopping, general shopping, healthcare and hospitals, auto dealers and repairs....... If those things are important, you can only find them in Ithaca, Geneva or Canandaigua. Yes, of course, some of these things are available, but at a much smaller scale, and maybe seasonal.

I guess what I'm saying is, as many in the video were vacationing, but as far as living year round, would that fit your lifestyle.

My unsolicited advice is to just throw a dart at the map, and find a place to rent for a year, then you have dozens of places to visit in person on a day trip or weekend. Good Luck

Old 07-10-2021, 01:16 PM

^What makes the difference with Skaneateles is that it is in the same county as Syracuse. So, you have the amenities of the state’s 5th biggest city 20-30 minutes away. You also have big box suburban shopping within 15-20 minutes away and Community General Hospital about 20 minutes away on Onondaga Hill. This isn’t even considering amenities in Auburn 10-15 minutes away.

If anything, the issue with Skaneateles would be price/budget and availability in the actual village/town. It has a Tops, a car dealership, restaurants, (higher end) clothing stores, etc. In fact, the high school I went to played sports in the same conference as Skaneateles.

This isn’t to say that the other places wouldn’t work, as they would, but the proximity to a couple of cities is a nice plus for Skaneateles.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, all of the Finger Lakes are nice. Some more than others, depending on your definition of nice. I would guess that you would have to decide how important certain things are to you, like grocery shopping, general shopping, healthcare and hospitals, auto dealers and repairs....... If those things are important, you can only find them in Ithaca, Geneva or Canandaigua. Yes, of course, some of these things are available, but at a much smaller scale, and maybe seasonal.

I guess what I'm saying is, as many in the video were vacationing, but as far as living year round, would that fit your lifestyle.

My unsolicited advice is to just throw a dart at the map, and find a place to rent for a year, then you have dozens of places to visit in person on a day trip or weekend. Good Luck
Auburn too! Auburn is on Owasco Lake. It's a much larger city that Geneva and Canandaigua. Geneva seems to be losing businesses left and right these days.

Living here in the region is FAR different than vacationing here. I've done both. I would definitely rent and not buy when moving to the area especially if you're not from anywhere around here. In general it is very small town life around here. Summer is short. Winter is long....cold...snowy...and very very grey. It is not for everyone!

Old 07-10-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^What makes the difference with Skaneateles is that it is in the same county as Syracuse. So, you have the amenities of the state’s 5th biggest city 20-30 minutes away. You also have big box suburban shopping within 15-20 minutes away and Community General Hospital about 20 minutes away on Onondaga Hill. This isn’t even considering amenities in Auburn 10-15 minutes away.

If anything, the issue with Skaneateles would be price/budget and availability in the actual village/town. It has a Tops, a car dealership, restaurants, (higher end) clothing stores, etc. In fact, the high school I went to played sports in the same conference as Skaneateles.

This isn’t to say that the other places wouldn’t work, as they would, but the proximity to a couple of cities is a nice plus for Skaneateles.
This is exactly what I'm saying. 15, 20, 30 minutes each way, because you needed ONE item, and you have to go to Syracuse, and you need it NOW. Not cool.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm saying. 15, 20, 30 minutes each way, because you needed ONE item, and you have to go to Syracuse, and you need it NOW. Not cool.
You don’t have to though. You can get groceries in Skaneateles at Tops. For pharmacies, you have CVS and Kinney Drugs. So, you have some things in the community.

Proximity to Auburn or Syracuse is great for other amenities. As another poster mentioned, Auburn is one of the biggest cities in the Finger Lakes(only Ithaca is bigger and not by that much). So, there are a lot of options within a short distance. This is without mentioning nearby Camillus

This post covers a lot of this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/61418625-post5794.html

Seriously, if you haven’t been to Skaneateles, I would check it out.

I will say that if they want to shop at Wegmans, there is a nice Downtown Auburn store about 10 minutes away.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You don’t have to though. You can get groceries in Skaneateles at Tops. For pharmacies, you have CVS and Kinney Drugs. So, you have some things in the community.

Proximity to Auburn or Syracuse is great for other amenities. As another poster mentioned, Auburn is one of the biggest cities in the Finger Lakes(only Ithaca is bigger and not by that much). So, there are a lot of options within a short distance. This is without mentioning nearby Camillus

This post covers a lot of this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/61418625-post5794.html

I will say that if they want to shop at Wegmans, there is a nice Downtown Auburn store about 10 minutes away.
I just said ONLY AVAILABLE IN SYRACUSE.

By now, the OP must think we are a bunch of jerks, arguing over petty things. Sorry.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Depending on where you live in Skan, Wegmans, Walmart, and Lowe's are 10 minutes away. Most towns around here don't have those stores. That's part of living in the FLX region. You accept that's part of living here. I can't think of the last time I went to one of the metros for 1 item that I couldn't get locally. I save those types of things for when I want to make a trip and go to several stores. I live an hour+ from Syracuse, Rochester, and Ithaca. You learn to adapt.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I think Ithaca is bigger only because of Cornell. That's an influx of 30,000 people every year for what 8 months? There's a handful of things there you won't find in Auburn like a Trader Joe's and Texas Roadhouse. Auburn has an AMAZING park - Emerson Park - RIGHT on Owasco Lake. It's a fabulous park! We love going there several times a year. Wonderful concerts, fireworks, plays. Really a well done park.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I just said ONLY AVAILABLE IN SYRACUSE.

By now, the OP must think we are a bunch of jerks, arguing over petty things. Sorry.
What can you ONLY buy in Syracuse? Have you heard of this thing called the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area