Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:23 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Upstate NY area and yes it does get its share of snow

The difference being that it really isn't much of an issue because it is almost always cleared off the roads very quickly because cities that average 100+ inches of snow tend to expect it and have plenty of snow removal equipment. The snowy landscapes of the area are very beautiful anyhow and going to more remote areas to snowmobile is a blast.

Ice storms are relatively rare in Cazenovia or Upstate NY in general; it usually just snows which is fine with me. I'll take 3 feet of snow over 1/2 inch of ice!

"Gloomy" is a subjective opinion. I love the fact that the sun isn't constantly blasting down in the Syracuse area. The winter is the cloudiest season but the area does get sunny days.

Cazenovia and Upstate NY are not particularly windy areas; I've lived in a lot of different states and the windiest place that I've lived is probably the Detroit, MI area. Nice in summer but not so nice in winter, lol.

People do have farms in Upstate NY--the area does quite a bit of dairy farming. Obviously the animals stay in if there is a blizzard but generally they come out. My friend has a farm near Oswego and her cows & horses can come and go out of the barn at will. Most days (no matter how cold) they come out. She has chickens as well and the particular type she has are cold-hardy breeds. The cows she keeps are Holsteins and Jerseys which are better adapted for the colder climate.

Cazenovia has plenty of attractions and isn't far from larger cities.

The larger region it is in (Upstate NY) is gorgeous and it's not far to places like the Adirondack State Park, the Finger Lakes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 23,023 times
Hi Marie, thank you. I wonder why the cafe' man made it a point to mention the wind and that this was one of the most difficult aspects of living in Caz. I agree on the snow vs. ice. I can't say I agree with your preferring the sun not be shining. Do you not crave the sun. I love the sun. It's pretty well known now that MS rates are higher in the higher, sunless latitudes. Humans need the sun and this is one of my concerns. Getting D through supplements instead. Not ideal but required in your climate I think from what I'm learning. But yes the region is gorgeous. I wonder what breed of chickens your friend has. I am very interested in raising chickens in Cazenovia. When we were last in Caz it was full on sunny every day. Hot and beautiful. Blue skies. We were only there for a couple of weeks so I assumed that was typical summer weather. Perhaps not.

But the winter gloom, I don't know that I could survive for months on end with little to no sun. That might be too much. Dark and cloudy on the shortest days but seemingly endless. I would think that is hard for anyone.

Insofar as animals. They do seem to adapt. I believe in giving them shelter and letting them figure out the rest.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM

821 posts, read 761,314 times
I am very familiar with the Upstate winter conditions...it is not as bad as that 129" seems. There is usually only 2 or 3 storms a year that make you say 'wow!' Most of that 129" is a inch or two here and there. In four months of pure winter, it adds up by the end.

One thing I have noticed is the snow does not stay like it used to. Snow comes and goes now. This year I feel like there was not a week where some huge melt occured.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,023 times
Thank you cjoseph. It seems as though it is what you describe. A little bit of snow, all the time. I did see some pictures of Cazenovia countryside in the winter and it really is beautiful. I also saw pictures of peoples cars literally buried under seven vertical feet of snow and snow drifts in Syracuse. Maybe those are post blizzard. Your comment about the snow melting quickly and not staying as it used to reflects what I am reading and how the area is being affected by climate change. Bees arriving earlier. Spring now one week earlier.

It does seem well established that western New York has a Multiple Sclerosis rate double the national average. The region is one of the cloudiest and snowiest in the nation. Is this common practice or knowledge in the area, to stock up on Vitamin D supplements?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Basically, stay active through the winter, as life goes on. So, perhaps look into activities that would of interest to you that could be done indoors.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontreesnolives View Post
Thank you cjoseph. It seems as though it is what you describe. A little bit of snow, all the time. I did see some pictures of Cazenovia countryside in the winter and it really is beautiful. I also saw pictures of peoples cars literally buried under seven vertical feet of snow and snow drifts in Syracuse. Maybe those are post blizzard. Your comment about the snow melting quickly and not staying as it used to reflects what I am reading and how the area is being affected by climate change. Bees arriving earlier. Spring now one week earlier.

It does seem well established that western New York has a Multiple Sclerosis rate double the national average. The region is one of the cloudiest and snowiest in the nation. Is this common practice or knowledge in the area, to stock up on Vitamin D supplements?
Has it been definitively proven that MS is caused by a lack of sun? I have heard this also, and MS is definitely something that concerns me. However, I noticed that while the Northeast (esp NY and VT) has high rates, and the Sun Belt southeastern states are way less than average, AZ is about average. http://1k0y401b7r382frmh33gn3qz.wpen...alence-map.png

I wonder if genetics has as much to do with it as the sun. Southeastern states are 35-50% Black, and Blacks are less likely to get MS. AZ is mostly White and Hispanic, and is average despite being the sunniest climate in the US. And the highest levels are in Washington and Minnesota, areas known for being heavily Scandinavian. So, I think the jury is still out though you can probably draw a loose correlation to sunlight.

You're absolutely right to be concerned though. My D levels are too low and I go to a traditional as well as a naturopathic DR, and the natural DR has encouraged me to move to a sunnier climate, if possible. Tanning beds are also another option as long as you don't overdo it.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,420 times
It simply is not true that the state of NY is broke. Where on earth did Sean get that idea? Taxes may be high, but the state is quite solvent. We are not PA or IL. And Upstate NY is beautiful, relatively sensible and well governed, with great food and wine. We still have abundant clean water, thanks to being the only state in the US to ban fracking. I wish people were friendlier, more like the South. But this is probably a better place to ride out global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area