Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 9,449,302 times

Advertisements

How should Syracuse use its share of the $1 billion in the plan by NYS to revitalize Upstate New York?

First off, I know NYS should not spend its way out of a bad economy, but if the State is planning to invest in Upstate metros, then I want the Syracuse area to see its fair share...which about $100 million. How did I arrive at a $100 million? The Syracuse area is roughly 10% of the Upstate NY population. (that is not including the Mid-Hudson Valley, which really isn't a economically depressed true Upstate region)

So far the State has only committed on $10 million for the Connective Corridor which will help link downtown with Syracuse University.

What would I push for if I were mayor of Syracuse or County Exceutive of Onondaga County?

1) Upgrade the proposed Syracuse Westin! What better way to use part of that billion dollars in Syracuse than by partially funding the convention center hotel, which is currently on hold due to the lack of financing caused by the mortgage meltdown. First, the money would be used to make sure the convention center hotel starts construction soon. Secondly, the extra money for the hotel would seek to make it a high impact project that can truly transform the look of downtown and thus the region. I'd make sure the money was spent on making the exterior of the hotel look imposing and impressive. At least 20 stories high and using a glass and steel sleek modern design. A truly iconic building that could help transform Syracuse's image.

2) Make the Clay Industrial Park shovel ready! Onondaga County's economic development agency spent money to buy the property for this new business/industrial park...yet no infrastructure is in place yet. Use State grant money to build the new roads, landscaping, water and sewer lines, etc. so that it is easier to attract new businesses.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-10-2008 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area