Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,778,311 times

Advertisements

I have lived in The Hideout for 13 years. We had a big drug bust a few years ago, a house rented by drug dealers, big bust - it's over. Can happen anywhere. When something bad happens in The Hideout, it will be on the front page of the local papers, that's just how it is. Some locals still can't adjust to the 'transplants'. As far as crime, check the crime rates with The Hideout Security Chief. I feel very safe here, both in The Hideout and in the surrounding Lake Ariel/Hamlin area. I have never had a need to have a local police officer or been witness to the need for one. In my 13 years here, the only need I have had for The Hideout Security is their additional response to an ambulance call, most if not all of their patrol officers are E.M.T.'s and get to your house before an ambulance. I have, on occassion, called them for a barking dog issue, depending on my neighbors over the years. (something a local police force would not respond to) Gang problems?? I have never heard of any gangs in The Hideout or the surrounding areas. Both my kids went to the public schools. I have a 15 yr old and a 19 yr. old, there are NO gangs. NONE. I feel they have gotten a wholesome upbringing here in he Hideout. My only concern is that they would be TOO trusting in a bigger city. They are truly not aware of the dangers that could lurk in bigger cities.
Cell phone service...I have had Cingular since they took over Verizon about 2 1/2 years ago, I get service everywhere, there is not one area where I travel in my car within the Hideout, Lake Ariel, or Hamlin, and all the way into Scranton that I do not have service. There can be a patch on the ride to Honesdale.
Adams Cable would be the most popular Highspeed internet service provider.
I would be happy to answer any questions you have about The Hideout or it's surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,697,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
I have been offered a position in Binghamton, NY. I will have to commute there 2 days a week, so I can look up to 2 hours away. I've looked around Binghamton itself and I'm not interested in living there. I'm also not interested in living in the city proper, we are looking for a more rural area with easy access to either city. I like the greater Scranton area and the Syracuse area a lot. The way I see it:

1) PA has lower taxes, less snow, and more slightly sunny days. Its also closer to NJ, where we have family. However, we are looking in Southern Wayne County (Lake Ariel, Lake Wallenpaupack, and other areas north/west of Scranton). I like the area, but I hear the crime here from ex-NY'ers is really bad. Many people tell me NOT to look in the Poconos.

2) Syracuse, especially Cicero, is really attracting me. I love the lakes, plus it had a sort of "end of the earth" appeal which I can't quite describe but was very appealing. Homes are super cheap. The taxes, the heavy snow (I like SOME snow) and the distance from NJ are all negatives for us.

Can anyone help us? Where are the best places to live? We really like a place called "The Hideout" in Lake Ariel. Any other places? Any help would be very appreciated, as I need to make a quick decision. Thanks!
For some reason Phish the communities in Binghamton get crime ridden.
I know........I lived in one for 8 years. It started out very well and ended with the last two years, looking and acting like a big city. Not good.
I then moved out of the community as did my 3 favorite neighbors and all of us are much happier out of that environment.
My daughter lives near Binghamton. Ok........I agree the downtown is old and unpleasant. But........there are some great surrounding areas. I personally like the wide open spaces of the town called Apalachian (sp).......outside of Vestal. Then for a great, gorgeous neighborhood go up into the hills of Endicott. Take Hooper to Taft.......then a road on the left ( not thinking of the name this second) but it leads to Elton and Rachel up to Foxboro Lane . ( Google that) ...gorgeous, woods and beautiful views. Shopping then is good in Vestal, or an hour to Scranton.....love Dickson City shopping. Syracuse is an hour and 20 minutes further then Binghamton, thus you would be far from your NJ familly. The ride from Endicott takes about 2 1/2 hours or so to hackettstown, NJ. Having had the experience of a community, I'd say don't go there. No one I talk to has liked the experience at all. Other then that a lot of workers do live in Scranton and drive to the Binghamton area. One thing good with Binghamton is that it has a lot of cultural things going on at the college and Arena. Another thing with Endicott.......is it is close to the airport for traveling. There is some gorgeous neighborhoods, you just have to know how to find them. Hope this helps.........Summering from Pa.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,697,089 times
Default Cell Phone

Phish,
The cell phone should work fine in Endicott, I don't know about Applachian the other town I mentioned. That town is good for more land, and more additional space.........if that is your liking.
We all have had no trouble with our cell phones of different makes and models.
There are fine back roads from Endicott that lead straight ( well almost) to the finger lakes.........
I just happen to love the neighborhood around Foxboro Lane< Endicott, NY.........
But...........I have loved the Scranton Pa. area for a long time. I travel to shop in the Dickson City area and it has every store you need just in one mountain area........Wonderful at Christmas.
I have been in the Hideout.......I like how it is layed out and its cozyness. But, I have had my fill forever of community living, as did others as I mentioned. Wondering if you'd like the drive in the winter from Scranton to Binghamton..........although many do do that........and you only would be twice a week so not all that bad. That takes one hour.
Best of luck to you..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area