Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 10:16 AM

92,363 posts, read 122,631,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Irene caused massive damage in the Schoharie valley, damn near completely wiped out Prattsville.
Many homes did get damaged beyond repair due to foundations getting washed out and such, but alas, that storm was considered a fluke, not very likely to happen again anytime soon.
And thankfully many of the municipalities have been very proactive in flood mitigation with adding/updating culverts, grading and all that fun stuff. Lessons learned.

There’s always the chance for the spring flash flooding, with the melting of the snow & ice in the creeks coupled with spring rains. Again thankfully, it’s mostly an inconvenience most of the time. Streets will get flooded & impassable temporarily, maybe some basements will flood, some roadway washouts etc…
I think that is due to that part of the state being closer to the coast. An area like Buffalo would get little, if anything from a storm like that. Not saying it can't happen, as Corning/Elmira got hit hard in 1972 from the remnants of a hurricane, but even that area is a good distance closer to the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 03:53 AM

3,495 posts, read 9,387,881 times
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ration-202221/

If homeless people seek refuge in Asheville, NC due to the milder climate there, the Great Lakes cities are probably a better bet to ride out any potential climate change disasters.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:37 PM

I'm doing more research on finding the safest Metropolitan Areas in the US. I'm adding another factor to my list....water supply infrastructure and resources.

Here are the US metropolitan areas over 500,000 that have the most secure water supply to meet high growth rates and potential climate change droughts during the next 20 years.

First are the Great Lakes Metropolitan Areas which potentially have an unlimited water supply and then everywhere else which are affected by droughts. Only cities within the Great Lakes basin have the rights to use water from the Great Lakes.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:43 PM

Great Lake metropolitan areas over 500,000 that use a Great Lake as a source for it's water supply.

Syracuse, NY
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Grand Rapids, MI
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, Ohio
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Toledo, Ohio
Detroit, MI

Old 10-18-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Great Lake metropolitan areas over 500,000 that use a Great Lake as a source for it's water supply.

Syracuse, NY
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Grand Rapids, MI
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, Ohio
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Toledo, Ohio
Detroit, MI
I believe that Syracuse and Rochester also use Finger Lakes as a source of water as well.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:09 PM

Non Great Lake US Metropolitan Areas over 500,000 that probably don't risk water shortages any time soon. Most of these metropolitan areas have access to a source of drinking water which very large and will probably have a water supply that can keep up with the growth of the metropolitan area for the next 20 years.

Greenville, SC
Dayton, Ohio
Cincinnati, Ohio
Louisville, KY
Washington DC
Baltimore, MD
Philadelphia, PA
New York City
Pittsburgh, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Nashville, TN
Huntsville, Al
Knoxville, TN
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Oklahoma City
Reno, Nevada
Memphis, TN

Let me know if you think I missed a metropolitan area.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that Syracuse and Rochester also use Finger Lakes as a source of water as well.
Yes, each uses two Finger Lakes. This is the reason those two are at the top of the rankings. Multiple sources of water help ensure a secure water supply just in case one source has some type of major disaster.

Old 10-29-2022, 03:41 PM

It must be perception, respect, image and reputation. Otherwise I don't see the attraction of moving to small rural towns in Vermont over climate change over places like Cazenovia in Madison County, Baldwinsville in Onondaga County, Victor in Ontario County or Pompey in Onondaga County.

The suburbs of Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all have access to unlimited water from the Great Lakes but Vermont doesn't. Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo suburbs all have infrastructure to grow hundreds of thousands of new residents, Vermont doesn't.

So what is the big attraction to Vermont over Upstate NY for those seeking refuge locations of climate change?

https://e360.yale.edu/features/as-cl...ng-to-relocate

Old 10-29-2022, 10:51 PM

Why I'd rank Chicago low on safest Metropolitan Areas from natural disasters list in the Great Lakes region.

https://youtu.be/Gwkx8esYrzk

Old 10-30-2022, 02:03 PM

^How is that relevant to what is going on in Syracuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area