Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2023, 09:11 AM

33 posts, read 37,862 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

After weeks of feedback and discussion, the Syracuse Flag Committee has finally chosen a finalist, based on your responses! We will be unveiling the design at today's Common Council meeting at 12:00pm! You can find the stream here, under Study Session June 14th 2023! Thank you so much for your time, support, and interest over this process! Also, happy Flag Day!

Sincerely,

Ikechukwu Okereke

Last edited by Syracuse_Flag; 06-14-2023 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 01:24 PM

3,540 posts, read 9,451,444 times
https://www.syracuse.com/living/2023...most-flag.html

I like it. It is simple, easy to draw, symmetrical, neat and with enough symbolism to have meaning to the city.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:54 PM

Default And the Syracuse Flag Initiative finalist is...

The First Light Flag!

It was designed by Eric Hart, an eight-generation Syracusan who was born and raised in the Valley! Here is a detailed description of its symbolism:

Six-Pointed Star

The star symbolizes the Six Nations of the Haudenosaunee, which the Onondaga Nation plays a central role. It symbolizes the six historical names that Syracuse has been previously known by, as well as the sun and its guiding light, its central location on the flag marking the city's central location in New York State.

Mirrored Triangles and Sunrise

The triangles symbolize the hills of Onondaga, with the left triangle representing the hill westward towards Hiawatha Lake, and the right representing the hill eastward towards Thornden Park. The space between the triangles represents Onondaga Valley, which in connection with the star symbolizes the sunrise over the Valley.

The Chervon and Timeline

The chevron, or the central white triangle, symbolizes the Roman numeral "V" representing the five Common Council districts. It also represents the "V-sign," or peace symbols. In addition, the placement of the triangles represents the city's past, present, and future, with the left pointing towards the past, the central the present, and the right the future.

Colors

Each color reflects an aspect and theme of Syracuse, with the azure (light) blue symbolizing Onondaga Lake, the Eric Canal, and perseverance, and intelligence, and the navy (dark) blue symbolizing the hills of Onondaga, and trust, loyalty, and industriousness. Finally, the orange is symbolic of the sun, and regeneration, restoration, courage, passion, and creativity, while the white is symbolic of salt, snow, peace, and purity. Place together at the center, the two colors represent our past of using the sun to pull white salt from our salt springs, as well as the undercurrent of the sun warming us during the cold, white winters.

If you would like to learn more about the other inspirations and concepts used to create the design, check out Eric's website at firstlightflag.com. As well, you can connect with Eric on Instagram and Facebook.

If you are interested, the Common Council is planning to adopt the First Light next week on Tuesday, June 20th! If you want to keep up to date on that final event, bookmark our website, follow us on Instagram, and subscribe to our mailing list! Thank you so much for your time, interest, and support throughout your process. Your thoughts, comments, and feedback about what Syracuse means and represents to you and others has really connected me further to my hometown. I hope that you all are well, and by next week, we will have a new flag to rally under!

-Ikechukwu Okereke
Attached Thumbnails
The Syracuse Flag Initiative Finalist will be Revealed Today!-first-light-flag.jpg  

Old 06-21-2023, 09:39 AM

Default The First Light Flag has been adopted!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to let you know that yesterday, with a unanimous vote, the Syracuse Flag Initiative finalist, First Light, has been adopted by the Common Council, making it the new city flag! And with that, this will be my last post for now! Adapt CNY will be promoting the flag through other projects and initiatives, so make sure to follow them at @adaptcny, @syracuseflag, and @firstlightflag_syr on Instagram, and join the mailing lists!

Thank you so much for your time and support throughout this whole process! I really enjoyed getting to learn more about my hometown, getting to read your thoughts, comments, and suggestions, and working together to create this new symbol for the city! I hope that you all have a wonderful summer, and that we meet again at some other point down the road!

Sincerely,

Ikechukwu Okereke

Old 07-04-2023, 02:33 PM

Default Happy Fourth of July, but if you are interested in another flag raising event...

Come to City Hall tomorrow at 2:00pm!

Yes, I'm back with one more update about the Flag Initiative! Join the Committee, the designer Eric Hart, and the Mayor and Common Councilors as we raise the new city colors for the first time on the flagpoles in front of the building.

As well, Eric Hart has created design specifications of the new flag for people to make themselves. They have been posted onto Wikimedia Commons. If you don't already know, the flag has been placed under Creative Commons CC0, placing it in the public domain, allowing for anyone to take the design and remix it as the please! Here are some examples from the designer himself!

Thank you so much for your time, interest and support over these past few months. I hope you all are well, and enjoying this sunny Independence Day! See you all tomorrow!

-Ikechukwu Okereke

Old 07-05-2023, 08:52 AM

Default Official First Light Flag Raising Ceremony Today at 2pm!

Hi everyone,

The First Light Flag, the new official city flag of Syracuse, will be raised today at 2pm on the steps of City Hall! Join Flag Committee members, the designer Eric Hart, the Mayor, and Common Councilors as we raise these new colors for the first time!

As well, if you haven't already heard, you can find the new design specifications for the flag here on Wikimedia Commons and on First Light Flag's website. As well, you can find guidelines on displaying the flag here as well! The flag is under a Creative Commons CC0 license, meaning that it is in the public domain, so we hope that you remix this symbol however you please!

Thank you all, and I hope that you guys have a wonderful day!

-Ikechukwu Okereke

Old 11-17-2023, 01:18 PM

Default Buy The New City Flag Today!

For anyone from Syracuse, NY area or are interested in our new city flag, I have attached an informational flyer below about the flag, created in collaboration with the Syracuse Flag Initiative and Hartbreakers Creative (the designer of the flag, Eric Hart's new design shop). I've also created an explanation of the information on the flyer:

"You can find information about the flag at www.syracuseflag.com, and Eric Hart's personal website at www.firstlightflag.com, which includes guidelines to construct and display the flag, as well as specific design files for your use. Furthermore, Eric has opened a new digital store selling the flag at Hartbreakers Creative (www.hartbreakersshop.com) featuring merchandise based on the flag, as well as high quality physical copies of the flag produced by Flags For Good, based in Indianapolis. You can finally each out to the Flag Initiative at flag@adaptcny.org or Eric Hart at erichartdesign@gmail.com, for more information!"

Thank you all for your time and interest, and I hope you have an enjoyable Thanksgiving!
Attached Thumbnails
The Syracuse Flag Initiative Finalist will be Revealed Today!-one-sheet.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area