Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 10:44 PM

15 posts, read 46,624 times

Advertisements

I Have gotten bits and peices of info off of past threads on this subject...but read so many contradicting opinions. Basicly what i desire is more of a family oriented neighborhood- with LOW crime.... I dont care about shopping being close by, nor do i care about being close to town or malls, movie theaters or other cultural exhibits. I dont mind a drive to work or shopping. I just want a safe place to live. but not overpriced either!!!! any input is greatly appreciated--plus its helpfull if you refer to streets cause im moving new to the city ..and im quite lost!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:52 PM

93,618 posts, read 124,322,716 times
What is your price range? If you want an affordable and safe neighborhood in the city of Syracuse, I would try the Valley south of Seneca Turnpike, Eastwood(especially south of James Street), the Outer Comstock area off of Comstock Ave. and south of the Syracuse University campus and the Lincoln Hill area in the NE side of the city off of Teall Avenue. If I think of some others, I'll post them on here.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:33 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,437,218 times
If safety is so important, just wondering why you'd rather live in the city over living in the suburbs?

Also, we may be able to help you narrow down the best neighborhoods for you... if you list some reasons for choosing the city over the suburbs.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM

97 posts, read 417,119 times
I can't vouch for other areas of the city, but I know that my immediate neighborhood is very safe. This includes the area near Barry Park, Broad St. and Meadowbrook. Dorset Rd. and Berkeley Pl. are very nice streets.

Housing prices in the city itself are low when compared to the suburbs and the rest of the country, you might also find it has more of a community feel. If you don't like interacting with your neighbors, the suburbs are better. We haven't had any issues with crime since I was a young kid, the neighborhood is safe and accessible.

I am a big advocate of living within city limits becuase everything is more accessible and the culture and food is great, but I may have to agree with Bellafinzi here, if all you care about is low crime, with sports, schools, and proximity to your job not an issue, maybe you should consider Dewitt or Manlius, they are nice suburbs and not far from the city. I live on the East Side and I consider Dewitt almost a part of the city itself.

However, living in a more residential urban area on a bigger street means that you might have more traffic, but in the winter the main arteries get cleared first. With the price of gas you might also start to detest having to drive 15 minutes to buy groceries or out to dinner. In general we're spoiled by quick commute times, from where I am there isn't anything within city limits that is more than 10 or 15 minutes away.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 PM

175 posts, read 550,148 times
Suburbs certainly have less crime than the city. I live in Manlius, and feel extremely safe.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM

55 posts, read 241,872 times
If you don't mind smaller houses and yards, consider Westvale, Fairmount or Camillus. Very safe, the houses are of vintages from 1930s to 1990s, and only a 15-20 minute drive into the city. They are less expensive than the newer suburbs that are farther away and on Moonbase Alpha.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM

97 posts, read 417,119 times
I have to add I've never felt unsafe in my neighborhood in the city. We live in Syracuse and commute to Manlius.

In any suburban sub-development you're more sealed-off, which feel safer but you're also isolated from neighbors and the community at the same time. I would get tired of going 10-15 minutes by car to reach everything, and you might too in the winter, keep that in mind.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:10 PM

93,618 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Also, the Meadowbrook area, the Northern end of the city north of Grant Boulevard by Webster and LeMoyne elementary schools and Grant Middle school, the Wadsworth Park/Bellevue Country Club area by Corcoran High School, Tipperary Hill on the West end of the city and if you have a little more money to spend the Strathmore, Scottholm and Sedgwick communities within the city.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 PM

175 posts, read 550,148 times
I agree about suburban isolation. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Life is full of tradeoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area