U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 14,325 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio and in the news today that there is at least one, and possibly two, corporate closings occurring in the not-so-distant future.

Honeywell, whose Skaneateles manufacturing processes will be outsourced to China within 12 months, is closing its doors and leaving 290 workers without jobs. More on that here:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ufacturin.html

The other news comes from New Process Gear, whose East Syracuse manufacturing operation has been in the red for a long period of time. No discrete plan to close yet, but the threat is real:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...e_to_shut.html

It's disheartening to see two more major employers have to close up shop in an already distressed Upstate NY.

I just wanted to keep you all informed. Although these jobs may be predominantly manufacturing which, for a good number of years have been in decline in the area and around the nation, their departure still illuminates the symptoms of a larger economic and social epidemic facing the area.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-08-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: fixed links
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM

92 posts, read 281,473 times
Honeywell closing is terrible news. New Proses gear is going to be another devastating blow to the Syracuse area. . They are some of the few remaining people in the area that spend a lot of money in the local economy. Between buying houses and shopping at the retail stores and restaurants this is going to affect more than the 2000 people that work there.

It will be interesting to see if the the local towns, Onondaga County New York State and National Grid will even do anything to try and keep them or just let them close. Like they did with Carrier and countless other companies.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if there were little to no effort made to preserve the jobs and reduce the collateral effects of major layoffs such as these. With few to no economic stalwarts remaining in the area, there is little incentive for people to remain and attempt to forge a future here. I've lived in the greater Syracuse area all my life (I'm a 20-something professional now), save the four years I spent in college, and every one of them, that I was aware of, I've seen nothing but decline. One pipe dream project after another, one miserable and repugnant "leader" after the next. Prices continue to rise nationally for goods and services while wages stagnate and jobs erode in our communities. It's a grim picture. I won't pretend to have a solution, but I know what some of the problems are.

Last edited by thewebguy; 08-08-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spelling corrections

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,532,966 times
Default Honeywell to close (manufacturing) operations in CNY

So Honeywell thinks its too expensive to manufacture in NYS. Gee, thats funny, Hand Held was doing fine till Honeywell bought them. Why is it that Welch Alyn, Sensis, Tessy Plastics, etc, all locally owned and HQ'd are expanding? Why did GE Inspections recently relocate its operations from Singapore to CNY and build a brand new facility? Why did Serious Materials, Inc. (a California company headed by a Camillus native) recently announce a new 250,000 sq. ft. plant in Lysander to manufacture environmenally friendly drywall? They could have just as easily built the plant anywhere in the country or the world. Statewide, didn't IBM recently announce a $1.5B expansion of its plant in the Hudson Valley? Didn't Semetech relocate its headquarters from Texas to the Albany area. Didn't a skateboard company from California recently announce a new plant outside of Ithaca, NY? No it is not NYS when you are talking high value added products like the one Hand Held (now Honeywell) produces. Honeywell is using the "high cost of doing business" as an exuse. I remember this headline "German Company, Bitzer Scroll, to create 300 manufacturing jobs in Syracuse". Why is it that a global German corporation will invest in CNY and create 300 jobs, but an American global corporation pulls up stakes? Shame on the owners of Hand Held for selling out to a global corporation that could care less about the US or its workers, they are only contributing to the Bush "family trust" (He can stay in China after the Olympics). With all that said, this should put CNY on notice to encourage and foster locally owned businesses and corporations like some I mentioned above. Yes, I do include Pyramid (CCM/Destiny) as an example of a locally owned company who is investing in CNY. One last point, I find it interesting that they are keeping their research and development, engineering, and marketing in CNY.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
It seems like when the area takes a step or two forward, it take two or three back. By the way urbanplanner, did you know if there have been a bunch of comments on syracuse.com about this?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 PM

92 posts, read 281,473 times
Urbanplanner,

What do you mean by: "No it is not NYS when you are talking high value added products like the one Hand Held (now Honeywell) produces." ?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 AM

Urbanplanner,

Those points are very refreshing. Those jobs and corporations are bolstering the ring of humanity around the pit of decaying concrete known as downtown. I love my suburbs, but to be a true player in regional and national economics and attract a full range of professional talent including creative and young entrepreneurs who are likely to reverse the trend of urban decay, the planners will have to focus on incentives for locating business downtown again. People who are thriving in the suburbs are not finding themselves downtown to spread the wealth. The funds are remaining in the suburbs; and with good reason - high gas prices and transportation costs, convenient proximity of necessities and excellent school systems outside of the city are all reasons to stay within one's neighborhood as opposed to visiting the downtown area.

What I'm saying is, until we focus on making the greater Syracuse area, as a whole, a viable economic locale, we're destined to continue this New Jersey-esqe expansion into a super-suburb throughout which are interspersed pockets of antiquated, suffering, light urbanization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area