Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM

129 posts, read 489,184 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

We are looking to get outta the south! We're thinking about Buffalo, Syracuse or near Pittsburgh. Can anyone tell me the positive side of life in Syracuse, actually tell me the negatives,too please? I have applied to colleges in all three places, but would like to hear from those of you that really know about the town. Is work easy to come by? Are the people friendly? Schools good? Are there things for the kidlets to do? We all LOVE snow, so that's not an issue.

Thanks, can't wait to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,430,893 times
In my personal opinion, the Pittsburgh/West Virginia area is one of the most depressing areas of the whole US. I haven't visited much of the US, but I find it hard to believe there is a place more depressing. I found the people weren't very "alive" or energetic either. IMO, people from California (I have cousins from there) are the most outgoing and "alive" people in US. After the west coast, places like New Hampshire on the east coast are next, then maybe parts of the fast growing suburbs in the south, then the suburbs around the major Upstate cities like Syracuse, then the Midwest, then last is Appalachia (which includes Pittsburgh).

If you are looking for lots of snow do not move to Pittsburgh. It only averages 40 inches of snow and it melts fast and turns to a muddy mess. If you are looking for a place with cold rain(40s), mud, clouds and slush in the winter months, then I'd suggest Pittsburgh.

All the colleges in Syracuse are located in neighborhoods that I personally dislike. So your college experience will be extremely different than if you are living and working here. I went to a college in Upstate NY and hated everything about it including the weather...this was in the Southern Tier of NYS. It was awful having to walk between classes in the extreme cold and living way out in the middle of nowhere. That's why I tend not encourage others to go to college in the Syracuse area. The colleges in Syracuse just give the Syracuse area a bad name since they are only session during the worst weather months and all of them are located in less than stellar locations. Chances are you'll come away thinking more about the negatives than the positives of the area.

Normally I don't respond to people asking about going to college in the area because the experience is so different than real life IMO.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Hi everybody!

We are looking to get outta the south! We're thinking about Buffalo, Syracuse or near Pittsburgh. Can anyone tell me the positive side of life in Syracuse, actually tell me the negatives,too please? I have applied to colleges in all three places, but would like to hear from those of you that really know about the town. Is work easy to come by? Are the people friendly? Schools good? Are there things for the kidlets to do? We all LOVE snow, so that's not an issue.

Thanks, can't wait to hear from you!
It depends on what kind of work you are looking for. People are generally nice here. Schools are good up here and if you go to Syracuse city schools, it depends on which ones you go to. Yes, there are things for the kids like the MOST, the Puppet Museum, the NY State Fair and the area is in close proximity to many nice areas like the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, the 1000 Islands and so on. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,821 times
Some highlights from my perspective:

Great scenery
Beautiful seasons--even winter
down to earth, honest people
great diversity of food--not all chains either
good, and affordable housing market
centrally located--within hours to many major cities
great water system

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
I just feel where every you move, you are the one to make your experience with community period! If you feel a resonace in any place from intuition and feel at peace go for it! My boyfriend is in Syracuse, NY and I am planning on moving their and know I feel at peace there and am social person to make things happen for me there. I feel first and fore most it's to feel in your heart a comfort of peace of mind and allow the rest to flow and figure out the rest later! Wish you the best in your decision where ever you gravitate towards to move!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
This post is several years old and the OP hasn't posted in years.

Her last post concerning NY was how was NY raising welfare benefits when the state was massively in debt.

I guess a little light bulb went off in her head.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
For some reason, old threads have been popping up at the top of the list on C-D, without anyone adding anything recent to bump it. Then people generally post without looking at the date. When I saw my old buddy Bellafinzi on there, I knew it was old. I haven't seen that guy post since my old days on here. Too bad- he was pretty informative.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Pretty sure he's still a mod. I haven't been disciplined in a while though.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Pretty sure he's still a mod. I haven't been disciplined in a while though.
I think he still is too, but i'm not sure if he is on here as much as he used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area