Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times

Advertisements

The Blizzard of '93 was something else, but mainly hit on a weekend. Things were tied up or cancelled on the following Monday, but as I remember, it didn't cause too many commute problems after the storm was over...

The Blizzard of '94 was a totally different story, it hit at around noon on a work day in January and caught everyone off guard. Total insanity ensued when every employer in Syracuse decided to let their staff go home early at the same time. What was normally a 20 minute trip home for me turned into a 6 hour voyage. The streets were not getting plowed and cars got stuck and huge bottlenecks resulted. People were jumping out of their cars with the engines running and peeing on the side of the road. It was not a proud day in the annals of Syracuse snow removal to be sure.

I believe, as a result of '94, the city now has a midday snow evacuation plan where the major employers (Upstate and SU and so on) are supposed to release their employees in staggered shifts. There was a big outcry over the way the roads were handled that day, it really was kind of an embarrassment not to mention a disaster. Things have much improved I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,207 times
Wasn't this storm in March ? If so, I remember it well. My work decided to let us go home at noon. By the time I got out to my car, the snow was more than half way up the door.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
The Blizzard of '93 is one of the main reasons why Syracuse averages 18 inches of snow in March. Otherwise, most Marches in reality are not nearly as snowy as what the "normal" would indicate. Same thing for April and May. Just a hand full of snowstorms in the past pushed the snow "averages" for theses months higher than what typically occurs in a "normal" year.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Remember those stories your grandpa used to tell about how he would walk miles in a blizzard just to get around? Well that was me for a day. My car was in the shop way on the other side of town (Rome NY), and he called me to let me know it was ready. So it was either pick up that day or spend the weekend without transportation. I had already gone a week without and needed groceries. Well the storm was already in fifth gear and taxi's and buses stopped running, so I walked the 4 or 5 miles in the blizzard which had already dumped two feet of snow to get to the mechanic. I get there, pay him, start the car and it wasn't even fixed properly. Luckily I was still able to drive it home. Thank god for front wheel drive.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times
I know you guys are going to hate me for saying this but I would love to see another blizzard like that

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
I remember '93 well. I was living inside the Cortland city limits and walking to work then. The storm came on a Sunday, we dug out on Monday, back to work Tuesday with the sidewalks better cleared than usual.

Then we got to laugh at NPR the rest of the week for their breathless coverage of the ongoing cleanup of the big storm around DC where they got less than half what we did.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,009 times
I'm trying to member what year it was in the 70's that a bunch of snow fell and paralyzed Liverpool. We lived in Bayberry, about 5-6 miles north on rt 57 (which is where that Wegmans mentioned above was, next to a Grants, at the time). We could climb the drifts and reach the handles on the telephone poles, and food was being delivered by snowmobile.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
I was living in Ithaca on the edge of Cornell campus but managed to get down the hill to rent a few videos and get a pizza before the roads were closed. Snowed in for the entire weekend, I saved what I thought would be the best movie, for last. It was Godfather III. I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area