Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Not hurting for taxes but property taxes are higher than most places in the country. Skaneatles isn't the only place that benefits from this, Onondaga county does too, which helps everyone else living in the county. Also, the more assets and entertainment we have the better chance we have at attracting outsiders to move to our area and keep locals local. I've never once heard anyone say OMG look at all that light pollution. Most people are sleeping at night anyways. If anything I hear people say OMG this area is scary because there are no lights and its dead out here. Lol....light pollution.... That just cracks me up. People will try anything to keep syracuse dead. However, other cities who don't worry about light pollution are cities that are thriving like Dallas.
Light pollution starts once the sun starts to set. Most people I know aren't in bed at 6 pm. And I do know many people who comment on light pollution. We had a discussion about it a few nights ago.

Skaneateles village taxes are higher than most other areas, but you get what you pay for. It's a very safe community who already offers quite a bit for their kids. Many residents don't want the extra traffic and outsiders in their village. I don't blame them.

Like I said, if this was to be built in the town or not really close to the village, most residents probably wouldn't have an issue. Have you ever tried to find parking in Skaneateles in the summer? It's tough even when there aren't any events going on. The village is small and not built to handle an extra 10,000 people or even 1,000. It's quaint, charming, and historic. That's the way the residents like it.

Just because someone wants to build something doesn't automatically give them the right to do it. This guy wants several variances besides the lights. The lights stand out to me because several people complained that their neighborhood would be lit up and he wants the lights 70 feet higher than the law allows. If you want to build something, then build it following the local laws. You'll be much more likely to get people on board with you. Once you start wanting to change everything to suit you, you start alienating the residents and they put up a fight. Trust me, Skaneateles residents will fight against things changing in their village. They like it the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM

288 posts, read 510,374 times
Okay, and how much land is just outside of skaneatles? Acres and acres, they have tons of room to expand roads and parking spaces. That's just a lame excuse, and usually the ones who oppose projects complain the most. However, the majority and the people who want the project to be built do not have their voices heard. Look at destiny USA, so many people complain on the Internet but you go to the mall and its almost impossible to park because its so jam packed. Also, I've never spoke with anyone who is pissed about destinys tax breaks. Clearly, something is not adding up and one may assume that the whiners are the ones who have their voices heard the most.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
Quote:
Skaneatles isn't the only place that benefits from this, Onondaga county does too, which helps everyone else living in the county.
So, I should have traffic jams and bright lights in my windows at night to take one for the team? I don't think so. It is a two lane road coming in and out of the area and making larger roads is not the answer. You would have to tear down houses and existing businesses to do that. There is no room to make a turning lane into the complex either which would be a major safety hazard.

I think it is a great idea in the wrong location. I don't think it will pass anyways because money talks and this area has plenty of that.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, and how much land is just outside of skaneatles? Acres and acres, they have tons of room to expand roads and parking spaces. That's just a lame excuse, and usually the ones who oppose projects complain the most. However, the majority and the people who want the project to be built do not have their voices heard. Look at destiny USA, so many people complain on the Internet but you go to the mall and its almost impossible to park because its so jam packed. Also, I've never spoke with anyone who is pissed about destinys tax breaks. Clearly, something is not adding up and one may assume that the whiners are the ones who have their voices heard the most.

If there's so much land outside Skaneateles, then build it there! No road expansion! It's a quaint village and needs to remain that way. Like I said, go build it out in the town where there's acres and acres.

You haven't spoken to anyone who opposed Destiny's tax breaks? Do speak to anyone besides yourself? Feel free to give me a call. I'm against what Destiny got and I'm against for all projects like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
So, I should have traffic jams and bright lights in my windows at night to take one for the team? I don't think so. It is a two lane road coming in and out of the area and making larger roads is not the answer. You would have to tear down houses and existing businesses to do that. There is no room to make a turning lane into the complex either which would be a major safety hazard.

I think it is a great idea in the wrong location. I don't think it will pass anyways because money talks and this area has plenty of that.
I agree. I don't think the village is the right place for this. Somewhere out in the town that's not near a residential area would be much better. Cazenovia has a huge sports complex that's out in the town and not in the village. Even the YMCA isn't in the middle of the village and the residents pay for that and it was wanted.

Skan def has lots of money. From what I've gathered, there are a lot of residents who don't want it in that location and the location seems to be the main problem.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I could see that project being received perhaps in the towns south of Syracuse. A town like LaFayette could probably work due to having the land and highway access. Elbridge may work as well.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I could see that project being received perhaps in the towns south of Syracuse. A town like LaFayette could probably work due to having the land and highway access. Elbridge may work as well.
Elbridge would be fantastic! Close to Skan and Cuse.....not to mention their economy could use a lovely boost.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If there's so much land outside Skaneateles, then build it there! No road expansion! It's a quaint village and needs to remain that way. Like I said, go build it out in the town where there's acres and acres.

You haven't spoken to anyone who opposed Destiny's tax breaks? Do speak to anyone besides yourself? Feel free to give me a call. I'm against what Destiny got and I'm against for all projects like that.

I agree. I don't think the village is the right place for this. Somewhere out in the town that's not near a residential area would be much better. Cazenovia has a huge sports complex that's out in the town and not in the village. Even the YMCA isn't in the middle of the village and the residents pay for that and it was wanted.

Skan def has lots of money. From what I've gathered, there are a lot of residents who don't want it in that location and the location seems to be the main problem.
I talk to hundreds of people and no one my age cares. And we are the future, therefore, our kids more than likely will think like us.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I talk to hundreds of people and no one my age cares. And we are the future, therefore, our kids more than likely will think like us.
Maybe talk to people who aren't your age. Chances are there's way more people on earth who aren't your age than are.

And kids don't necessarily think like their elders. I have totally different political thoughts than my parents for example.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm in my 20s and like I said none of them care and I go to the mall and see thousands of people in their 40s and none seem to care as well since they're supporting congel by shopping at his mall.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
In your 20s you care about drinking, cars, money, and girls. It won't hit you until you start paying thousands of dollars in taxes and then see those around you that got a free pass by working loopholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area