Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroad View Post
the fact it has electric heat is a big plus in my book, as it ought to be cheaper to heat in the winter. the landlord appears to be the same one (Drucker) that was highly recommended in the unpublished rentals post...
Electric heat around here can end up more expensive in our winters than gas - even at National Greed's exorbitant rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 87,594 times
Thank you, guys. You are awesome!!!

Hi, Brickroad, The price for this 1 BR (on South Beech) is a little higher than I expect since I have to pay the utility by myself. I hope I can get one with off-street parking. Brick, I heard parking in SU is way too expensive, right?

Hi, Phaelon, I think I would get a 2BR unit. Could you please get the phone number for me at your convenience?

I just look at Google map, which has some houses' pictures on South Beech and Euclid.

Thank you!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Thank you, acknight! You give me a better idea of the electric heat!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM

19 posts, read 56,581 times
parking on-campus varies greatly in price:

You pretty much have three options
(all prices for the academic year-fall+spring)

perimeter lots-$70

surface lots-$323

garages-$643

the perimeter lots are on university property, but you have to take a shuttle bus to main campus. so basically either you want to pony up and spend the big $ for either the surface lots/garages, or if you want to save $- live in walking/bus distance. i didn't catch that the south beech place was on street parking. you definitely don't want that. i have to park on the street myself, as the slope of my yard doesn't allow a driveway, and while its not bad right now, it is HELL during the academic year.

i'll second the place the phaelon56 pointed out on euclid terrace; it's on my usual jogging route, and yeah, the for rent sign just went up in the last few days. really gorgeous old place.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM

19 posts, read 56,581 times
sean,

saw a for rent sign go up today at 112 buckingham, about a 12 min walk from the university. from the size of the house, i'd guess the unit is a 2 bedroom...nice, quiet block w/o a lot of undergrads

the phone # on the sign is 315.298.6282

ran past a few other houses today with for rent signs that literally went up overnight, but didnt have pen+paper on me.... will post for you asap

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 AM

hi, Brickroad, thank you so much. I am gonna call the landlord tomorrow. Thanks, again. I will let u know what will happen.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
I don't really understand the National Grid hate, to be honest. LOL - they provide a service and I pay for it. It *must* depend on insulation/drafty windows and usage, really. We have a 5bd, 2ba home in Manlius and our combined electric/gas (gas- furnace for heat, cooking and hot water) for the summer months is around $100. ($101.34 was the total of our last bill.) Winter is more like $150-$180. Even then, we discovered that we had one entire wall of our home that wasn't insulated at all so we lost a lot of heat through that - to the point where I could feel a breeze through the baseboards. (Fixed now, thankfully.) I'm a stay at home mother to three toddlers and cook/bake for at least 2 meals (plus baked goods/snacks regularly) each day, 7 days a week... so it isn't as if I turn down the thermostat during the day and don't use any utilities because we're at work/daycare.

I just can't see the problem with National Grid... the service rates are the same for everyone in the area, right?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I just can't see the problem with National Grid... the service rates are the same for everyone in the area, right?
Different rates for businesses than for residential but otherwise I believe all of their customers pay the same rates for gas & electric. Age and design of house makes a huge difference. My house was built in 1925... has lots and lots of windows (32) that are original... crummy ancient triple track storms... rock wool insulation in the stud spaces and a thin layer of it in the ceiling. My monthly bill - averaged for the entire year is presently $182 and I am really frugal with energy use (1 person in a 3 BR house with one BR that is closed off almost year round).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area